Is the sound really in the hands?

For the kind of music we produce, it's not so much that tone is in the fingers but that it's in muting control and dynamics. Knowing where on the bridge to mute etc.

Really grateful for the response on this one! Still getting a lot of "you should have done it with leads" crap, but leads only make up a very small component of a record. I wanted to test what gives the record it's overall signature.

Truthfully, I think a lot of the flak I'm getting for my testing subject is due to the fact it's not confirming people's beliefs.

Doing a lead test isn't really necessary as this test confirms what a lead test would.

People play guitar differently, even if it's the same thing.

Noticed that Mike picks flatter/horizontally across the strings, so that explains his rounder tone.

Finally got around to listening to this. I'm pretty floored with how different Glenn and Mike are compared to the others. Christ seemed to have the most bite out of all of you for lack of a better word.

Was quite interesting, the difference is more than I would have thought actually.

That Jesus is a toothy guy

Ermz and I experienced this when we used to record together in the early days. Same gear, two players from the same band who know the material well but the tone was massively different.
Through a Dual Rec one had a very mid focused tone, the other was huge and ballsy. Both good in their own way, but very different for the same gear being used.

ohhh inappropriate dig on bassists. Turned off.

Some guitarists are just really upset that the depth of the guitar is defined by the bass.

Such a waste of all that ego. :)

You clearly haven't been paying attention to Glenn's videos and posts :lol: I don't think he has a problem with bass, it's with the humans who play it. ;-)

Unwarranted Stringcism. :)

I know it's kind of a universal music thing to dig on bassists but where did it come from that bassists are lesser musicians? Slayer wouldn't have been slayer without Araya. Burton was Metallica's early guide and mentor. Geddy Lee was Rush and don't get me started on Wooten, Clark and Miller.

Of course there are going to be differences in the sound depending on the player. The human body has a lot of variations and arm weight and hand size differ between each person. Given the nature of the bass I would expect the differences in sound to be even more pronounced between the players. The real trick would be getting people to appreciate it.

Or not, you know whatever. :) The bass community is usually pretty cool to each other precisely for this reason.

I know it's kind of a universal music thing to dig on bassists but where did it come from that bassists are lesser musicians? Slayer wouldn't have been slayer without Araya. Burton was Metallica's early guide and mentor. Geddy Lee was Rush and don't get me started on Wooten, Clark and Miller.

Of course there are going to be differences in the sound depending on the player. The human body has a lot of variations and arm weight and hand size differ between each person. Given the nature of the bass I would expect the differences in sound to be even more pronounced between the players. The real trick would be getting people to appreciate it.

Or not, you know whatever. :) The bass community is usually pretty cool to each other precisely for this reason.

lol. We are people too! We have rights

I don't think you get what the OP said. It's not about bassists being bad because they play bass but it's true that the laziest motherfuckers who enter the studio happen to be bass players most of the time. Not only that, sometimes they are not even at par with the level of musicianship the band is delivering, it's more challenging to find someone who can pull off the riffs, etc. It's true, deal with it.

Dude! Go to your nearest town market and buy yourself a second-hand sense of humor for christ's sake, and a new pair of panties while you're at it, you might have ruined the ones you're wearing by now.

Seriously though, relax. He takes digs at drummers all the time too.