Is the UM site running like a dog for you lot?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
In the last few days, I've found the UM site down. Or I need to hit the refresh button several times. Or the page downloads just time out and the site hangs.

Am I alone in this madness?

Will this post even make it to the forum without timing out....?

:Spin:

Nope aint' just you. The worst is when your trying to post somthin and it happens, which then makes you lose your post. A little frustrating! Hope that glitch gets fixed.

Weapon X said:
Nope aint' just you. The worst is when your trying to post somthin and it happens, which then makes you lose your post. A little frustrating! Hope that glitch gets fixed.

I've got used to 'copying' my note before I hit the submit button.

CTRL+C to copy.

CTRL+V to paste - instead of having to retype it.

Such are the tricks of forum posting. :D

Everybody has been having these problems. Something happened to the site, server, or something along those lines. I'll let Mark inform everybody of the situation.

*NOTE* I previously state what the problem was, so if you saw that post. Try to keep it to yourself. I think Mark doesn't want it spread until he knows how to fix it.

Yeah, i've had the same problems. Lately i've been wandering around the HMAS forum more than UM because of this.

The server has had extreme difficulties in the past week due to an attack on the server We've been working on fixing services one at a time, but unfortunately the server load sometimes goes through the roof making the site unreachable. Needless to say, we're not pleased... and hope to have it all fixed once and for all this week.

Thanks for your patience!

These attacks must have been pretty severe, because even with the recent downtime and fixes, I'm still noticing real slowdowns and timeouts.

And coincidentally, or not, this all started after they revamped the UM site a few weeks back, no?

Not bitching or anything though...but it just means that when UM is down, then I have to do *real* work at my desk. Yuk.

The site still dogs most of the time ... shame really.

It seems that it mostly happens when it is after 8pm in Europe ... around 12-2 pm in the US. I think this is when most users log in there.

Does anyone know the number of registered users on UM?

lurch70 said:

No idea - I'm sure there are a few thousand in total. Concurrent users though would probably amount to about 100. Not much, but then I could be wrong.

It's 10:30 in NY and UM has not crashed on me yet. Been in for about 15 minutes, lets see how things go....*fingers crossed*

It's beginning to get a little better.

If this keeps up I would suggest Mark to ditch the server on Ebay and fork out for another one :)

lurch70 said:

As of a minute ago:
Members: 16,303, Threads: 71,442, Posts: 1,296,865

You can find this tally at the top of the "forum" page.

During slow times there are about 100 users logged on to UM. During peak times there are probably 200+ logged on.

Do you guys check in through the "front page" of UM? If you don't, you are missing my CD reviews and band interviews. I'd appreciate any feedback on my stuff.:Spin:

npearce said:
Do you guys check in through the "front page" of UM? If you don't, you are missing my CD reviews and band interviews. I'd appreciate any feedback on my stuff.:Spin:

:OMG: And I thought people were getting here from our webzine 'forum' link!

:lol:

npearce - If you like, you can always give us any feedback of our reviews too *cough* ;)

By the way, I did read Mark's review of Katatonia. What did you think of Viva Emptiness npearce? I know we got it around the same time. I like it - it reminds me heavilly of Tool (Aenima days).