Is this a Scam?!

videinfra

Sep 6, 2007
Lubbock, TX
www.myspace.com
an email i received today in regards to a pro tools rig i found on craigslist, seems really shady:
Good day,

Thanks for your email. Item is in perfect condition, it works perfect. Price is $1,300.
Now i am located in WA with my work and i need to come personal to meet you and present the item.Few days ago a buyer told me that he'll buy it, so we must meet in Austin. I come to Austin because I trusted his word, but when I arrived I called him and no answer, so I lost money and precious time on his promise. I don't want to ask you to send me any money in advance, I just want to see that you are a serious buyer. I will come only for a serious deal. If you don't want to buy it after you will inspect it, no problem, but I need to be sure that you will be there.To be sure that you are real and serious, here is what I propose:
1. The service name that we'll use is Money Gram money transfer. You must find the nearest Money Gram agency and you will go there with your best friend or your wife. Your wife or your friend (relative) will be the sender of the money and you will be the receiver.
2.Ask your wife or your friend to send $1,300 to your name. Is enough for me to see that I have a interested buyer. (I will pay the Money Gram fees when we will meet)
3. Only you can pick up the money from Money Gram, so this is no risk on your side.
4. Once the money is sent, from MG they will give you a receipt so you need to find a scanner and scan this and send it to my email.
5. In the same day I will buy the flight ticket for the next day and I will email you the scanned ticket.
6. We will meet at your location and we will finish the deal.If you don't want to buy it there is no problem but I assure you that you will love it and you´ll buy it. It is in perfect conditions.
I repeat: You must understand that you will not send the money to me. You will be the receiver of the money and only you can pick the money from Money Gram .If you are still interested to make the deal with me please reply me.Please don't spend my time with endless disscutions,or pure curiosity.Thank you for contacting me and hope you will understand my point of view!!!

Respectfully.

My Name is: John Mattson

If you look up Money Gram scams in Google you'll find a bunch of stuff about people collecting money that was meant to go to other people. This dude is fucked up even if it's not a scam though... He's going to hop on a plane and fly anywhere in the US to meet you to sell you a $1300 PT Rig? Give me a break.

If you get an email that starts off with or contains any of the following, just delete it and/or add it to your spam folder:

- "Good day"
- "Hello Sir/Madam"
- referencing "the item"
- offering to pay for your item in any form other than cash or paypal

well, thats about it...

oh, and one more thing... if you're dumb enough to fall for one of these scams, you deserve to be ripped off.

that is all.

Scamorific.

Never trust anything with the words 'Money Gram' or 'Western Union' unless you physically know the person. They can promise you the world, but when you send the money, they can take off with it and those companies can care less what was promised to you, it's you that sent the money... I found out the hard way about 10 years ago, lost $900 on a car purchase. Sent the money, got no car.... Damn I was stupid.

Perhaps you want to google this John Mattson fella. He seems pretty experienced and I would not play with 1300$ with a name who appears in famous internet scams websites.

http://www.onlineverif.com/?go=pages/search_posts&search_word=operate

ctrl+F -> mattson

• ABSA BANK SOUTH AFRICA - [SCAM 419]
ABSA BANK SOUTH AFRICA The Audit Dept, ABSA HEAD OFFICE, 108 GRAYSTON DRIVE SANTON CITY JHB, SOUTH AFRICA I am Mr John Mattson (FCAA), the chief accountant of AMALGAMATED BANK OF SOUTH AFRICA (ABSA). There is an account open in this bank in 1999 and since 2001 nobody has operated on this

Oho and another scam from John!

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2004/09/16/45934.htm

22. John Mattson, 54, Palm Desert

Well, 2 times is waaaaaaay too much. It's a scam. :p