Is this drums sample usable for a great mix? (clip included!)

Vaggelis_Revolted

Guitarist / Novice A.E.
Apr 3, 2011
www.myspace.com
Hello guys! We are currently in search of a recording studio to record drums for our full length. Problem is we are not really sure whether the quality of the recorded signal will be up to the standard for a great sounding mix (we are planning to enter this particular studio just to record the drums, and use the raw multitracks afterwards)

Thanks to a friend, we managed to find the drums stems of one of the songs that were previously recorded there. I upload a 20 sec sample, for you to listen.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37836512/SNeapDrumsOpinion.mp3

I know it is extremely hard to judge just from this stem, but this is our only sample from this studio, so no multitracks available. Do you think this result can be usable for a solid mix? Do you find any sonic problems in this sample?

I feel that the overheads sound a bit "distant", so we are gonna ask for more spot mics on cymbals. Other than that, i feel the general sound is pretty good. Any advice would be invaluable, as we will have to decide as soon as possible. Cheers!

The kick definitely needs work, but I think it could fit in very well.

You mean better microphone placement? I am pretty sure there are 2 mics (in+out), so could it be a simple matter of volume? Or maybe you mean something else?
yes it sounds good. Weird ringing in the tom though.

Thank you for your answer. You would prefer more damping, right?

So, we are going to book this studio, in about 2-3 days from now. So far, everyone is really positive about this choice, hope we make the right decision!

Any additional feedback is more than welcome, i know it is kinda hard to comment on a stem, and not on a multitrack, but feel free to tell us your opinion!

I know i am not supposed to bump the thread so often, but tomorrow we will have to book the studio, so it's urgent!
We are looking for some (late) suggestions and opinions.

Last bump, and thank you for your answers so far. Link to sample still working,cheers!

I don't think that sample sounds very good at all, TBH.

Sounds like a bedroom or a very small room with a very poorly tuned kit.

could be the drummers fault, it all starts at the source.... Kit could have sucked, etc. etc...

It's worth a shot if the price is right. As long as you can manage a good OH and more importantly, ROOM sound you could always partially replace all the shells...

It was recorded in a small room indeed, but i am afraid the kit was tuned by the studio guy. The room itself is acoustically treated, so it shouldn't sound like a bedroom. :/

The price is right. Also, we are gonna replace most of the shells, but we are hoping for a quality mix, so we are expecting the drum tracks to be as good as possible.

Mixed answers so far, i start to believe that they are not the best recorded drum tracks in the world, but if the price is right (which it is), we should go for it. We should be careful on some areas of the recording process and hope for the best.

Anyone else please?

you've got the right idea dude... i'd say go for it, let your drummer or someone else tune the kit as you desire to get it sounding the best it can in the room.... get the OH's sounding bangin' and DEFO through up a stereo pair of room mics, even IF the room is small, it will help to add some front to back depth to the entire recording... =D

it'll all work out!

and to clarify, I didn't really mean it SOUNDED like it was recorded in a bedroom, I could tell his room is treated; however, it sounded like the room is about the SIZE of a typical bedroom with 4 parallel walls.... didn't hear any flutter echo or 'zingy' bullshit so that's a GREAT sign as far as the OH's are concerned....

DO ETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! =D

Thank you for your answer. We will make sure to have room mics as well. Even though many people won't use them at all when mixing metal, i also believe that if you mix them right, great results can be achieved.

We can also record on another recording room at this studio, which is a bigger one, with a more "live feeling", but not sure if it is treated in a nice way.Theoretically, which choice is more suitable for metal? (no definite answer i suppose!?)

I totally agree with CJ here. Budget is always a big problem for bands, so tune well your kit,take samples of it before recording and try to record the best OH and room possible. Post clips soon!!

Καλή επιτυχία Βαγγέλη!!!

We can also record on another recording room at this studio, which is a bigger one, with a more "live feeling", but not sure if it is treated in a nice way.Theoretically, which choice is more suitable for metal? (no definite answer i suppose!?)

My professional opinion? Try both. Whichever one sounds best acoustically with YOUR drummer hitting HIS drums, go for it....!

You'll be able to tell very quickly just by how the kit sounds in the room.

If it were me, I'd go for the bigger room right off the bat, granted the drummer and kit sound good in it.

You'd be surprised what SO MANY metal producers are missing by NOT using room mics... even just a little goes a long way... shit I throw up at LEAST a stereo pair for the room along with a mono LDC(the mono mic i rarely end up using though, just the smalllllest bit)....

In the BEST situation granted I have enough inputs left over, I'll always have my stereo pair of LDC's for the room way far back and an M/S configuartion a bit closer to the kit... that's my IDEAL mic'ing strategy for the room whilst recording a kit...

It's hard to gauge if drums are going to be usable for a mix until you've actually put them in a mix. That said, I feel like the drums will need a fair amount of post processing to get them to fit properly with anything.

OK guys, we finally booked the studio, based on your feedback!

The owner is a friend of ours, and a great guy, so i am sure he will try his best for a good result!
Thank you all for your answers. (Teddyboy να είσαι καλά!)

I have one last question: we are going to have spot mics for almost every cymbal, so would it be wise to place the overhead mics a bit more "distant", to get a fuller sound, and add the individual spot channels on top of it for the actual "in-your-face" sound of the cymbals?

Just a thought, maybe someone has tried it... Or maybe we shouldn't count on the spot mics for cymbal sound, and place the overhead mics in a normal typical way?