Is this raw tone OK or not?

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Lately I have been asking a lot of questions and often I was just assuming that my "Raw" tone was not good enough. In my case, what I mean by RAW is "No EQ or Compressor". So I recorded something, improvised a little bit until I found a semi good riff and there it is... I'd really like to know if my lack of experience just makes think that it is not good enough for a mix, or if on the contrary, it's close to the correct result. So if anybody has a few minutes to listen to the riff and give his opinion, advice, anything, I'd really appreciate it.

The signal chain is :
1- LTD ZH-7 with DiMarzio D-Activators
2- Komplete Audio 6 Interface
3- VST Noisegate
4- TSE808 VST
5- LE456 VST
6- Recabinet

I am aware that normally, I think you record the drums, the bass and THEN the guitars, but I was unable to do that for logistic reasons. :erk:

I am really open to any constructive criticism. As a reference, I'd say that I really like Jeff Loomis' tone, so you know what I kinda aim for (even though I know I can't get that tone with free VSTs... but at least if I can get somewhere not too far!).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2breb15vy6wknx8/PntJ6QouZL

Thanks in advance. :)

LE456 is a preamp sim and has no power amp modeling, so you'd need an extra power amp sim (TPA-1 by Ignite Amps would work) before the impulse, or an impulse with power amp coloration. Recabinet was created using solid state power amps IIRC, so you should switch up your chain. I really enjoy the LeGion, which does have power amp modeling, with the Recabinet Oversize.

LE456 is a preamp sim and has no power amp modeling, so you'd need an extra power amp sim (TPA-1 by Ignite Amps would work) before the impulse, or an impulse with power amp coloration. Recabinet was created using solid state power amps IIRC, so you should switch up your chain. I really enjoy the LeGion, which does have power amp modeling, with the Recabinet Oversize.

Thanks for the heads-up, I thought the Lecto was the only Le Poulin amp sim that was just a pre-amp.

I'll definitely try the power amp you suggest.

But, then, if you don't mind me asking, did you have a listen to the recording and can comment the tone itself? Cause, correct me if I'm wrong, but the power amp should just "Boost" the whole thing without coloring the tone much (or actually it shouldn't do it at all).

Thanks for the heads-up, I thought the Lecto was the only Le Poulin amp sim that was just a pre-amp.

I'll definitely try the power amp you suggest.

But, then, if you don't mind me asking, did you have a listen to the recording and can comment the tone itself? Cause, correct me if I'm wrong, but the power amp should just "Boost" the whole thing without coloring the tone much (or actually it shouldn't do it at all).

Lecto is actually the whole amp. I didn't listen to the recording because it was in 4 different files and you had to download it. In the future, just post one or two files and use the www.dl.dropboxusercontent....[rest of the link] at the beginning of your files so it's set to autoplay and people don't have to download it.

Power amps color the tone quite a bit. Try using the TSE X50 or the X50 V2 and switching between the 6L6 and EL34. It has a huge impact, which is why there's modeling software out there! You can use a hardware preamp into a solid state impulse response like recabinet and it will sound okay, and people do that sometimes. You can also use a software preamp into an impulse response and it might sound fine. But if you're going for the whole tone, I've rarely found that it completely satisfies me to leave it out.

BTW, this belongs in Practice Room rather than FOH. :)