is this safe? (clips inside)

reneisgod

Rene
Aug 28, 2006
Scotland
en-gb.facebook.com
Ok so it being fairly obvious that if you pull your speaker cable
half way out the back of your cab your only getting sound out of two speakers not 4, i was just messing around and decided to record a little test.

riff 1 - jack half out (2speakers only)
riff 2 - jack fully in

i really prefer the recorded tone of only 2 speaker functional in the 4x12 cab
there less low and crisper highs and seeing as i play blackmetal its kinda a good thing for me.

can i have some advice is this is a good/bad or even safe ideas

ive attached the test i done i actually think most will agree it sounds better with only 2 speaker

gear - gibson flying v, ts 9, 6505, marshall 1960b lead and i miced the bottom left speaker only (sm 57) the top and bottom left speakers work when i plug the jack half way in the back.

http://www.easy-share.com/1904430545/test.rar

Not trying to be rude but this is a horrible idea, all it would take is a bump to knock the speaker cable out possibly ruining your amp. If you like the sound of 2 speakers wire your cab that way.

what would be involved in rewiring the cab so its just the 2 speakers?

despite what could have went wrong im really glad i tried it
the sound is alot more pleasing to my ears, ive instantly
decided to 2 do away with the other 2 speakers and just run the 2.

does anyone else actually run through a 4x12 cab only wiring up 2 speakers?

what would be involved in rewiring the cab so its just the 2 speakers?

despite what could have went wrong im really glad i tried it
the sound is alot more pleasing to my ears, ive instantly
decided to 2 do away with the other 2 speakers and just run the 2.

does anyone else actually run through a 4x12 cab only wiring up 2 speakers?

Don't 1960s have 3 inputs, one mono and then one for each side?

Don't 1960s have 3 inputs, one mono and then one for each side?

well yeah 2 inputs but with a selector switch for mono/stereo

It must be possible to wire this for just 2 speakers or am i looking at
alot of trouble with wiring doing this?

ha ha i am very aware this was a daft idea but i really dig the cab operating
on just the 2 speakers the clips i done i though sounded way better with 2
speakers

Well dude, that's what I'm saying, put the switch on stereo, plug into one of the inputs (and set the 6505 output impedance to 8 ohms, VERY important), and voila, you're running it at just two speakers :)

Although maybe you preferred the sound because it was the sound of the OT running expecting a 16 ohm load and only getting an 8 ohm load - in which case I gotta say I would not recommend getting too attached to that tone, unless you plan on going through transformers faster than guitar strings! :ill:

Well dude, that's what I'm saying, put the switch on stereo, plug into one of the inputs (and set the 6505 output impedance to 8 ohms, VERY important), and voila, you're running it at just two speakers :)

Although maybe you preferred the sound because it was the sound of the OT running expecting a 16 ohm load and only getting an 8 ohm load - in which case I gotta say I would not recommend getting too attached to that tone, unless you plan on going through transformers faster than guitar strings! :ill:

ha ha getting u loud and clear dude, u have made a very obvious solution come to light i feel like a dick now lol

do many people record in this fashion it sounds so much better recorded.