can someone explain this!

reneisgod

Rene
Aug 28, 2006
Scotland
en-gb.facebook.com
This makes no sense to me but anyways!

A couple of night ago my cab (4X12 VHT Fatbottom) spent a night outside in the shed,
Later the next day when the cab got back into my bedroom I noticed condensation on the cones and the speakers were on the damp side (done a post on this also).

Anyways!

While the speakers were on the damp side out of curiosity I decided to mic the speaker and listen back on it.

I usually use Andy Sneaps old ref files and match them up using curve EQ.

Now what ive always found with my VHT Fatbottom is when I eq match this to one of Andy’s ref files I always get a sever spike around 6-10k around -9 to -12 db, and the mids mostly scooped (same result every time)

When I recorded the speaker damp the spike and scooped mids had gone completely!
For the 1st time this cab sounded balanced and the high end and mids sounded real nice.

That nasty fizz around 9-12 was gone and curve eq no longer had to adjust this
The whole spectrum was almost a mirror image of Andy’s file (which is the krank cab with eminence speakers)

So thinking this was rather odd I left the cab with the same set up (left the mic in the same position same settings on head)

Once the speakers had dried up I recorded again and this time the spike had returned!

What the f@@@

Any explanations for this at all?

Does the vht fatbottom just give out these freq and the dampness on the cone was masking these?

Could it be a case that the cab just still isn’t properly broken in?

Im considering going for another cab if been having this problem since I got it and haven’t once had a decent live sound! I always have to adjust/fix EQ around this area and its pissing me off.

If you can mic up your own cab get it fairly close to Andy’s ref files then boost around 6-10k by 9-12 then this is how my cab sounds!
Pure fuzz

Haha maybe it should just spend more time in the shed!

Anyways I figured there must be a logical explanation for this and this is the best place to ask.

The cone just propably dried. As you know, paper usually isn't very tight material, it has pretty much air in it. When gets wet, it absorbs the water to cells/pores where the air used to be. It gets softer and when it dries, the air doesn't nessecarily come back, but the water might close the pores on the paper, so it changes its shape just a bit when when it dries and it gets harder. You can try this on a normal office paper. Pour some water over it (or coffee, so you can see the effect more easily), hang it and let it dry. It propably wont be as flexible or straight as it used to be and it will be a bit harder too, right?

But if your cones are made of aluminum, I don't know what the reason is.

Weird stuff.

My thoughts - the speaker being a bit damp would make it heavier. Higher frequencies = faster vibrations... requires fast responding material. Material weighed down = response slowed = high frequency reproduction hindered.

(= backstage secret weapon = sprinkler system) har har har

EDIT: further thoughts - the 'spike' you get in normal circumstances might be a particular resonance inherent in your cab or room/both. But if that resonance needs to be 'fed' to build up, so to speak.. then it may not happen if that range of frequencies or highs in general is muted somewhat.

Andy way way back tested and uploaded a bunch of cabs with different speakers and mics

celestion v30, eminence, greenbacks

i like to use his eminance clip to compare to my recorded clips using curve eq
which is where i always get that severe spike, it wasnt until the speakers got damp that
my actual recording pritty much matched andy's

then the speaker dried up ofcourse and i was abck to having this fuzzy spike when i eq matched it

i dont want no spikes!

im going to start recording this cab in the shower haha

if anyone else wants to try maybe making there speaker a tad damp and recording it to see what results they get
id be very interested in hearing about it

you should post those clips of Andy's. I would like to hear them personally and i know a few others would as well.

I noticed this once and thought it was so cool I misted my speakers gingerly with just a bit of black spray paint...flexible stuff, probably krylon or something, didn't tell anyone because I thought it would be pretty stupid if I told people I painted my black speakers black...

I noticed this once and thought it was so cool I misted my speakers gingerly with just a bit of black spray paint...flexible stuff, probably krylon or something, didn't tell anyone because I thought it would be pretty stupid if I told people I painted my black speakers black...

So how did that turn out?

Funny story, if nothing else.

You could probably make that sound really kvlt if you wanted, too...

"My black speakers were only black like a rotting corpse... but in an enchanted forest I performed a secret ritual that turned them darker than the blackest night...)

Of course, then you'd have to remove all bass and mids, too... and always wear corpse paint... but that's a different story.

Jeff

Not that I think this is a good idea. But if you wanted the effect to be perminant, you might be able to do it by saturating the cones with some kind of oil that doesn't evaporate.
Keep in mind that the oil is different than water, so it may or may not sound the same as the water dampened cones.

It sounds like you should spray the cones with coffee about an hour before you record. You could take the "Brown Sound" to a whole new level.

Funny story, if nothing else.

You could probably make that sound really kvlt if you wanted, too...

"My black speakers were only black like a rotting corpse... but in an enchanted forest I performed a secret ritual that turned them darker than the blackest night...)

Of course, then you'd have to remove all bass and mids, too... and always wear corpse paint... but that's a different story.

Jeff

:lol: