Speaker break-in driving me insane

reneisgod

Rene
Aug 28, 2006
Scotland
en-gb.facebook.com
Holy shit I’ve been trying to break the p-50-e speakers in my 4x12 VHT Fat Bottom cab
For 3-4 months now and I’m not getting anywhere.

I also own the 2x12 Fat Bottom,
When I mic up both speakers (cabs) there is actually Measurable audio differences here.
(Well according to curve eq there certainly is)

Sweet highs smooth mids on the 2x12 (had this for 3 years so the speakers are more than broken in)

4x12 very fuzzy unclear, stupidly scooped mids, just fuzzy high end and shabby low end.

I’ve tried all the quick techniques to try and break the speakers in but I don’t seem to be getting anywhere.

Anyone else had these problems with a brand new cab before I’m well stressed, If so did any of you guys actually notice any huge differences in tone after speaker break in? It was so long ago since I got the 2x12 I’ve forgotten how it sounded right out the box.

My bands due to record next Sat-Sun! Looks like im gonna have to use the 2x12 but the actual plan
Was to use the 4x12 it just isn’t ready.

Should there be measurable differences like this? Is this maybe just how this cab sounds?
Why would the 2x12 sounds so much different it’s the same speakers right?

even with the same speakers, it's normal for the 2 cabs to sound quite a bit different due to the differences in size/construction

even with the same speakers, it's normal for the 2 cabs to sound quite a bit different due to the differences in size/construction

+1

This is because the sound of the cab is determined by the internal reflections. Different dimensions mean the cancellations and reinforcements take place at different wavelengths, and therefore different frequencies.

If you like the 2x12, use it. The 4x12 will never sound like it. If you need to move more air, use two of the 2x12 cabs.