isolation rack, advice / help?

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
i've been looking at these for a very long time...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IsoBoxStu20M
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IsoBoxStu16

and i just need a few details that i can't figure out through all the text information and lack of pictures...

do the units that have the mac tray take up rack space, so when it says "16u rack with mac tray" does that mean, there's 16 units but 7 are taken up by the tray??

also, does anyone have one of these, and if you do, are they sweet? i dont really need it for my mac cuz my mac is super quiet, but my 192 is loud, and so are all the hard drives...

they are quiet and they are much faster if they are supported by the OS.
that's enough to make them better than normal drives IMHO :)

from reading it, it seems like your right, if you put the mac in then you lose 7 rack spaces. but you said your mac is pretty quiet already so then it doesnt really matter does it?

Sorry to side step, we use SSD disks and they are really amazing. Your right, for recording they are no better than normal, but for mixing and general DAW editing ect they are really great. Very fast and reliable. They do cost a little more but very much worth it. As for the fancy 192 housing, just build it yourself. Would be much cheaper.

Just an FYI, if your planning on purchasing the digi delivery server (i would 100% recommend this also, reallllly handy) then you will need housing as that thing is loud beyond anything else.

SATA supports up to 3gb per second. In reality, most drives don't come anywhere near this figure, because they are mechanical. Solid state drives are not mechanical, and thus do not have the same seek times that mechanical drives do; thus they can make better usage of the SATA bandwidth. Further more, there are no platters... so they don't have to spin to access data - this means faster access times.

Also, last year they introduced a further revision to the SATA spec, upping the supposed bandwidth to 6gb/s. If SSD's get better constructed and supported (as they are) we may see drives that completely kill mechanical drives for performance.

But there are certain SSD's that perform well at first.. but over time become really shitty; early stuff from OCZ for instance. Give it another year, and I reckon you'll be able to stock up your Mac or PC entirely with SSD's and have a very fast and very superior machine to what we are using now.

SATA supports up to 3gb per second. In reality, most drives don't come anywhere near this figure, because they are mechanical. Solid state drives are not mechanical, and thus do not have the same seek times that mechanical drives do; thus they can make better usage of the SATA bandwidth. Further more, there are no platters... so they don't have to spin to access data - this means faster access times.

Also, last year they introduced a further revision to the SATA spec, upping the supposed bandwidth to 6gb/s. If SSD's get better constructed and supported (as they are) we may see drives that completely kill mechanical drives for performance.

But there are certain SSD's that perform well at first.. but over time become really shitty; early stuff from OCZ for instance. Give it another year, and I reckon you'll be able to stock up your Mac or PC entirely with SSD's and have a very fast and very superior machine to what we are using now.
im concerned with rewrites, like you mention (over time bad performance)

there's a lot of rewrites in audio production

im concerned with rewrites, like you mention (over time bad performance)

there's a lot of rewrites in audio production

Like I said; with proper implementation of the TRIM command in the OS, re-writes doesn't become a major issue. The way these drives are designed, their re-write endurance is long enough for it to matter...

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

In short: These drives will be stable for about fifty years. Most people replace their computers every two-four years. But even if you kept the same machine for ten years, you're still good to go.

Sorry; didn't mean to derail your topic. All the evidence points towards SSD's being the future of storage. At least until something else comes along.