Isolation Years - Absolutely brilliant now

TommyPickles

Jun 11, 2008
California
I don't know why this happens. Some songs it just takes me years to get into.

But after listening to Damnation, Isolation Years comes on.

The mood....the lyrics...the emotion.

Awesome. Like...Harvest awesome.

I don't know. I think it was Watershed that helped me appreciate this song much more.

i would prefer hours of wealth, that is such a beautiful song and one of my favorite of opeths' mellow songs. i think it would be a great live song as well, especially as an interlude btween two really heavy numbers, like it is on the album.

I think Isolation Years is one of the best softer Opeth songs along with To Rid the Disease, and Hope Leaves.

i like isolation years, but i think hours of wealth has so much more feeling and emotion in it, especially the part leading up to the vocals, mike's guitar over per's keys, the strings and the arpeggios under them, leading up to "found a way to rid myself clean of pain", then mike's beautiful solo after his beautiful vocals. perfectly leads up to "grand conjuration" a very beautiful opeth moment indeed..

I also love Isolation Years. So much feeling. I'd love to play it on the guiater, but it's played in an awkward tuning. Can't be bothered to tune my guitar each time I want to practice that song.
But I agree, it's probably one of their best quieter songs!

damn i thought this thread was about me:lol: just kidding
i love isolation years.....obviously, although i think i might like hours of wealth more, the way he plays, its almost like hes too sad to play, so everything feels like its a struggle, but not in a bad way, i love that song

I love that track.
If you feel bad it can push you down with is burden of melancholy. But at the same time i could feel a lullaby vibe in it.
It's relaxing and capable of giving you a fresh breath of pure air.
It's a little gem enshrined in that record.