It appears "off-topic" is infiltrating the Opeth forums again

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
I'm harkening back to years ago when the original Opeth forum was split, and the off-topc forum was created. Then many defected to SOT2. During these times Opeth "offically" stated only Opeth topics were allowed in the Opeth forum.

I sense we are heading in a similar off-topic direction again, as it certainly doesn't appear all talk is Opeth talk in the official Opeth forum.

OpethNZ said:
i dont see what would be so terrible/hard about adding an off topic forum

When it happened before it was mostly because it no longer was about Opeth, but it was under the Opeth "banner" (as a subforum of the Opeth forum). Opeth.com came in and shut that down because they pay to be here and they don't want to pay to have people talk about nothing at all to do with the band.

If we want off topic, why not everyone head to the chat forum?

FRUGiHOYi said:
Moreover, who gives a fuck?

Yeah, and I don't see why a thread can't be closed every once in a while and told to get taken over to Chat or something. It's not a big deal. I got to a lot of forums and this is the most on topic one I've seen, even at it's worst. Have some faith in it.

The mods usually let the music talk slide because the forum is boring otherwise and almost empty. I dont think something like this would make them all that happy.

Mumblefood said:
When it happened before it was mostly because it no longer was about Opeth, but it was under the Opeth "banner" (as a subforum of the Opeth forum). Opeth.com came in and shut that down because they pay to be here and they don't want to pay to have people talk about nothing at all to do with the band.

true, fair enough.

Mumblefood said:

you know it's not the same thing and thats not reall applicable. the point is and has always been opeth listeners want to click on one link (or write one address), come to one forum and talk both on- and off-topic with other opeth listeners.

and the chat forum is so mixed up.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I know you've been here for a very long time, but a while ago Moonlapse stated that we can still talk about off-topic stuff as long as it's music-related.

- the TMSFGJAEUPGWMSFFWELCFBTPMN

Personally I have no problem with this forum. I find it enjoyable. My 1st post was just a mini-historical point, that's all.

Zivilyn said:
Yeah, and I don't see why a thread can't be closed every once in a while and told to get taken over to Chat or something. It's not a big deal. I got to a lot of forums and this is the most on topic one I've seen, even at it's worst. Have some faith in it.

This is definitely the most on topic forum I have ever seen. I think it is badass to be able to interact Opeth fans from all over the world. It is definitely an honor and a priviledge and I just hope it will keep going strong for years to come.