It's official, i'm on my songwriting spree. Textures meets Abigail Williams.

Erik Monsonis

Nov 18, 2006
Mexico City
www.darkhouseaudio.com
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/425433/MP3/tema7 test.mp3

EDIT: Actual song here http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/425433/MP3/tema 7 final.mp3

Made without my production hard drive (left at rehearshal's), without my mastering plugs and Reaper templates.

2 sloppy as fuck guitar tracks (Ibby with emg85) and one sloppy and boomy bass track (harley benton broomstick) into Toneport UX1.

Guitars have been processed with Simulanalog Ibanez TS9 > 8505 > s-preshigh.wav

It's pretty obvious I've been listening to the 2 bands quoted in the title lately, sorry about ripping them off :lol:

I'm not using my default templates, so it will sound different to my previous mixes, I'm posting this to show you guys the song idea itself, I don't care too much about this clip's production as long as you can clearly hear what's going on there. And I know the piano sounds lifeless, it's velocites are all at 127 :lol: (didn't change them after laying them down with the mouse...)

The Textures-alike riff Is just a working one for the rythm metrics, I'll elaborate it more later on ;)

Cheers!!
-Erik

You mean the Dutch band Textures? Saw them a few weeks ago with Scar Symmetry here in Belgium. Quite nice performance. They play with Bo-el guitars, probably gonna buy one next year.

I'm loving the guitars.... the snare drum sounds awfully familiar :) I think I use the same sample a lot I'd change the cymbals tho make them more in front to me they sound a bit white noisish....

the guitars sounds really really good. (but a little little bit too scooped for my tastes)
love the riff that goes before the piano part (reminds me of dimmu borgir)

cant wait to hear the final version >.<

Cool songwriting as always! To be honest, I'm not digging the guitar sound at all compared to your other songs, where its incredible. It sounds really nasally and thin on the palm mutes. That's one thing I never liked about the simulanalog TS9 plugin. It seems to suck all the body out of the guitars. Regardless, its still really cool and nice work!

I'm a little interested in how many EWQLSO instruments you use by "default"? And which ones? :p i tend to only use the large string section and the Leg Vib Violin..

Thanks!!

I'll post an update in a moment, when i get it uploaded.
Also will get a list of the instruments used on EWQL.

EDIT:

I use 15 total:

Violins
From GOLD:
F SVL MART UP DN (SPICCATO)
F 18V QUICK UP DN (SPICCATO)
F 11V SUS VIB HARD (CHORDS)
F 18V TREM (CHORDS)
From SILVER:
SVL EXP 2
Viola
From SILVER:
VAS SHRT MART UP DN
Cello
From SILVER:
VCS QUICK UP DN (spiccato)
VCS DXF SUS VIB (long notes)
Contrabass
From SILVER:
CBS QUICK UP DN (spiccato)
CBS SUS VIB HARD (long notes)
Piano
From SILVER:
STEINWAY_BRIGHT
French Horn
From GOLD:
F SFH SUS
Flute
From GOLD:
F SFL STAC (staccato)
F SFL SUS VIB (long notes)

That's my template for all songs :loco:

My GOD those guitars are scooped dude - really not a fan, and also they're a bit loud IMO; I would vote more mids and less volume! The kick is way too low also, and the snare to a lesser extent (and the cymbals to an even lesser extent). Orchestra instruments all sound great! And why not use BTE TSS rather than SoloC or the Simulanalog thing?

Thanks!!

I'll post an update in a moment, when i get it uploaded.
Also will get a list of the instruments used on EWQL.

EDIT:

I use 15 total:

Violins
From GOLD:
F SVL MART UP DN (SPICCATO)
F 18V QUICK UP DN (SPICCATO)
F 11V SUS VIB HARD (CHORDS)
F 18V TREM (CHORDS)
From SILVER:
SVL EXP 2
Viola
From SILVER:
VAS SHRT MART UP DN
Cello
From SILVER:
VCS QUICK UP DN (spiccato)
VCS DXF SUS VIB (long notes)
Contrabass
From SILVER:
CBS QUICK UP DN (spiccato)
CBS SUS VIB HARD (long notes)
Piano
From SILVER:
STEINWAY_BRIGHT
French Horn
From GOLD:
F SFH SUS
Flute
From GOLD:
F SFL STAC (staccato)
F SFL SUS VIB (long notes)

That's my template for all songs :loco:

Awesome!

Would be great if you could post a link pointing out the 'Rules of Orchestration'.

Cheers, and the track is great.

EWQLS stuff sounds good as usual, but those (sloppy) guitar tracks lack some punch. Allthought the riffs are good! And the song is good too! Great stuff!