I've been out of the game for awhile...recording guitars at home question

Aug 9, 2006
First off I don't know dick about recording for real, I always used Adobe Audition and my old original PODxt bean with the Big Bottom patch like everyone else was doing back in like 2007-2008 lol, it worked fine for my purposes...I really just need something that good and user friendly or better. I live in an apartment and just want to get a good sound at home without spending a shitload of money. I'm not up to date on current gear or techniques but I just want to get a decent recorded tone to jot down ideas. I'd like something capable of getting that traditional heavy/djenty tone and like a more modern death metal tone. I'd rather not spend more than 300-400 or so but I could maybe spend more for the right thing. What do you gurus on here recommend?

What do you have? It could be enough.
In your price range nothing really changed for 10 years except for few processers, audio interfaces, ampsim plugins. Still the same dead plastic sound.

You're willing to spend 300-400 what? Pounds? Lira? Baht? Yen? In either case, here's some starting points for stuff which is good and not a gimmick product: Mercuriall, Scuffham S-Gear, Amplitube.

For a modern death metal sound I would recommend:
- Mercuriall U530 or Spark (AFD model)
- Kazrog Thermionik & Recabinet with 3 Sigma Audio impulse
- TSE X50

My personal favourite is Spark. IMHO it has the best sound without much fiddling and is easier to use than Kazrog Thermionik/Recabinet. But Kazrog and TSE sound really great, too.

Reactions: Vasyl Mishchenko
I'd get a good audio interface and decent headphones (monitors would be too expensive if you already spend 200 on an interface.

After that you can use very good free plugins.

TSE or Mercuriall Tube Screamer plug-in, or the Ignite Benevolent Overdrive. Then either Ignite Emissary amp sim or LePou amp sims or Nick Crow amp sims.

Then Nadir from Ignite as an impulse loader and you can get nice impulses from Rosen Digital, Ownhammer, 3 Sigma Audio and Two Notes. Each impulse package is usually around 10$.

Reactions: Korwent