I've been out of the game a LONG time...a couple questions

Aug 9, 2006
I literally haven't been up to date with any modern recording products/techniques since the mid 2000's. PODxt and Adobe Audition is what I used...I lost my recording setup for a long time and just stopped caring and trying. I'm curious about what is out there as far as easiest/cheapest ways to get a quality guitar tone at home. I know I've heard some friends mentioning all the digital amps and things like that that are out now. I'm trying to get my creative juices flowing so I can start recording my own music again...what are the best options out there? Would it be best just to find another PODxt on ebay for $100 or so? I can't afford much

There are plenty of free amp sims out that sound great!

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/

https://www.tseaudio.com/home

Just to get you started.....

I downloaded those plugins and Reaper. I don't have the slightest clue how to use these programs, use Reaper, etc...I figured out how to load the plugins in Reaper and all that good stuff but the only guide I could find on youtube was made in 2011 so that doesn't help me much since the Reaper UI is completely different. I don't know if the preamp I have is broken or what, but I've never been able to figure out how to get sound out of it. Its an ART USB Dual Tube Pre Project Series. I run the 1/4 cable from my guitar to the input on the back and then connect the USB to the computer. I see it as a recording device and enable it, but its never put out any sound. I don't even know where to start

Did you enable the speaker icon ?
enable.png

For TSE I'd say save you the trouble and buy the paid version, you're gonna have the impulse loader in it already with a bunch of impulses. It's just a few bucks..

What is not made obvious in the reaper track panel (TCP) is the speaker icon has to be turned on (click on it, it's a 3 states button make sure the first state is on).
Also, make sure the RECORDING button is on AND your usb input must be selected in drop down menu on the track!!
Your usb must be recognized in the preferences-audio-device.