Ive Changed My Opinion!!

ironcross

Crossy
Apr 12, 2001
www.downunderclansmen.com
Ok for the past 10 years ive been an Iron Maiden fan Powerslave has been my favourite album. However after many hours of driving and listening to all of Maiden material over and over and over again.. I think The The Number of the Beast is now my favourite. When I look back and think how it changed the Heavy Metal scene I can't help but think it is the greatest. It hardly has one bad song on it (ok Gangland aint that great).

Plus now it has Total Eclipse on it (Finally) which is one of my favourite maiden tunes.

Classic after Classic : Children of the Damned, The Prisoner, 22 Acacia Avenue (Maidens best live song no doubt), Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast, Total Eclipse and my favourite song Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Just thought I would dribble on and do a maiden thread for once. You can go back and talk about Iced Earth now haha :p :)

Notb is definatly my fav pre-LAD maiden record for sure! The Prisoner is just beyond greatness as is children of the damned and Hallowed. And invaders rocks, seems many people dont like that song for some reason. Also I think gang land is a great song personally :D

BUTTTTTT we all know that Somewhere In Time is the most perfect maiden studio album ever!!!!!! WOOO!!! :D

SIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I knew you would say this Tonci. haha. Just because it has Caught Somewhere in Time on it doesn't mean its the best :p

SIT has some great songs but it has some that aren't that great.

oh, and I like Invaders.. I just didn't feel it went under the title of classic! :)

I think you've both lost it... Powerslave will always be Maiden's greatest studio album... well in my opinion anyway ;)

Powerslave's "classic" tracks are just as good as NOTB's "classic" tracks but I don't care for Invaders or Gangland... I'd much prefer to listen to Flash of the Blade, The Duelists or Back in The Village which are the ones I don't consider to be the "classic" tracks off of Powerslave... now although not considered "classics" I'd probably prefer to listen to these songs over some of the widely accepted "classic" tracks Maiden have put out over the years. I guess that's why I love Powerslave so much.

Oh dear, this is a terrible thread.

It's reminding me just how great the early Maiden albums were.

When crossy descrbed Number Of The Beast - I had to agree with every word. (Invaders is great too)

then Powerslave and Somewhere In Time.

Then I remembered Piece Of Mind. I love the 'crunch' that album has (guitars and drums), something which is missing from the polished later albums Powerslave and Somewhere In Time.

Plus it contains the thumping tracks of The Trooper and Die With Your Boots On,

the melodic and simply 'too cool' Still Life,

the first combined Smith/Dickinson colaberation of Flight Of Icarus,

Bruce's first 'solo' Maiden track Revelations

and Harris' first penned beautiful true Maiden epic adventure To Tame A Land.

And who could forget Nicko's drum intro to the 'war-like' Where Eagles Dare? I love this album!!!

And Sun and Steel is so, ..... catchy :)

*** (ignore Quest For Fire)

(But Sevent Son is still the best)
:D
:D

So why is this thread terrible? Because I've just planned on buying all these new albums by various bands which will now pale in comparison with Maiden greatest. :eek:

I can't say I've ever been that keen on Powerslave. My personal favourite would be either Iron Maiden or Killers... probably Iron Maiden, though.

NOTB is very good - it has 22 Acacia Ave, after all, which is my favourite song of the NWOBHM songsters.

Thats the beautiful thing about maiden. Every single one of us so far has mentioned a different album. For me the period 1982 (beast) - 1988 (seventh) is really impossible to choose the favourite. Each album has its touch of brillience.. Ive been listening to the song Seventh Son at least 3 times a day the last few weeks. I think its probably the best maiden epic.

Thats why its such a big call for me to name Beast the winner. Evidently I think Beast won the Heavy Metal Survivor contest for best album ever. I can't be wrong haha :D

Sydo, I hear you about buying new albums. I feel the same way :cry:

Crossy is right, number of the beast is best!!!! :)

Has any other band EVER made so many CLASSIC albums in such a short period of time? Bands today make 2 albums in 6 years usually, and very few can come close to how great those albums you have all mentioned were!

You're all wrong!

PIECE OF MIND IS THE BEST!!!!!
Even Quest For Fire is awesome! It just has bad lyrics! Haha!

And TNotB is second for me :D It was the first Maiden album I bought.

I think TNOTB rules to.
It was the album that got me into maiden.
The only song that i just am sick to death of is 'run to the hills' not that its not a good song or anything.

Piece of Mind is the best album, mostly because it was there first REAL album IMO and ALL THE SONGS ROCK ON THAT ALBUM, much like BNW.

You all have to agree with me because today is my Birthday (plug plug)...

Up the Irons!

I dont think SIT is the best maiden album because of the title track.....its brillance is far and wide, including wasted years, sea of madness(woo!), stranger, lonliness and of course the brilliant alexander!!!!!!!!!

I think POM is great, but sun and steel and quest for fire are prolly the 2 worst songs from maidens golden era (82-88), so thats why NOTB is better cause it doesnt have one weak song on it (imo).

Ahh I can never decide between POM and Powerslave! Its to hard, depends on my mood.

But how awesome is that real long instrumental bit in the Duellists! WOO! :D

1982 - '88 is my fave period. It's a tie between Powerslave and Seventh Son for me.

If anyone wants to hear that Piece of Mind/Powerslave sound again they must hear WOLF, great Swedish band who sound retro but still fresh and give it mean and dirty. A grower for me but love 'em now.

have a look at Rodrigo's review on this site

Also, my friend has one here:

http://www.geocities.com/thesurfing_alien.com/

NP: WOLF - s/t