I've lost my virginity...

Kate Bush Rules! said:
PS... Why are there so few Symphony X fans on the Opeth forum here? The only person other than me who I know visits both SyX and Opeth forums is Mr. Shreddy-didle.

Me too. I've very recently begun to get into Opeth, so i've been checking the threads here w/a little more frequency lately.

I feel i'm a bit "between" the two camps posting in this thread. BWP was my first Opeth experience as well, and though i enjoyed the music at first, i could not get past the growling. My friends played a few songs from "Deliverance" for me a while ago, and once again:
-loved the music
-hated the growling

I'm not an obsessive (meant in a good way) Opeth fan (yet?), but i appreciate them more and more each day. I bought "Damnation" because of the 'no-death-vocals-on-this-album' approach, and i love it.
However, on the way to the record store last weekend, my friend put on "Still Life" and i was honestly blown away by it. That hadn't happened with BWP, or even "Damnation." There was still a ton of growling, but, like others here have stated, i suppose i was beginning to get used to it. I was blasting "Still Life" the other night and not only was i tolerating the vocals, i was enjoying them! I still think Mikael's clean voice is ridiculously better then (any) growling, but i guess it really is just a matter of time before you come to appreciate it as part of Opeth's musical beauty.

Kate Bush Rules! said:
He WILL like them.

Tour right now.
I DO like 'em. It fits the music when its needed. Its not like the Br00t0l Death/Black metal bands who scream/growl for the sake of being br00t0l. The growls are there to give the music more mood. You see what I'm getting at? I would still pefure it if he growled a little less tho.
I don't like most Black/Death metal bands - NOT because its too heavy - but because of the vocals. But I don't consider Opeth a very heavy band. I think Symphony X is heavier (this is made by the guitars) than Opeth.
But Opeth along with my favourite bands. I think its my 6th fav' After SyX, DT, Spiral Architect, Evergrey & Zero Hour)

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Tour right now.
I DO like 'em. It fits the music when its needed. Its not like the Br00t0l Death/Black metal bands who scream/growl for the sake of being br00t0l.
Br00t01..lol

Here we are, children of sun and star,
The first to know and to understand....

Gods we will be, rulers of the sea, in the grand design...oh yeah!

I got Into Eternity's Dead or Dreaming today, so I'm liking the death growls more and more (if done in a tastful manner)

Kate Bush Rules! said:
Here we are, children of sun and star,
The first to know and to understand....

Gods we will be, rulers of the sea, in the grand design...oh yeah!
Their best song, easily.

Symphony X is okay, it's just usually very 'dry', if you know what I mean. It's basically all technical driven and sometimes can be monotonous and boring.

No, I think that "Awakenings", "The Eyes of Medusa" and "Egypt" are better than "Evolution". I agree about SyX getting boring though, most of their songs sound the same. They're not progressive at all. Try saying that to the guys in the SyX forum though!

yeah blackwater park is my fav album
i got it signed too :)

Just from the opening track Leper affinity its just a pure classic
i dont really like "harvest" and "blackwater park" but the whole album is urghhhhh
orgasmic :D

ProgMetalFan said:

That was my thought when I first read Kate Bush rules original post. There are alot of people that like both bands.

I thought that I was the only one getting bored with Symphony X's repetative sound.

You people are correct that you have to watch what you say over there because they are real sensitive especially Mr. Shred-ididle !! :D

I want to also recommend Still Life as your next purchase then get Morningrise.....