I've never heard of Devin Townsend

Snowmaker

GO BLUE!!
May 13, 2002
New Baltimore, Michigan
www.faroffgrace.com
He's opening for Symphony X when I go see them in December. Am I going to be "wowed"?

Aside from Symphony X, some of my other favorites are Vanden Plas, Blind Guardian, Ayreon, Angel Dust, Gamma Ray.

Does he fit in with any of these? Or does he have his own unique sound. As long as he doesn't sound like Porcupine Tree.

He has his own unique sound, and since all of his albums are different it's difficult to make recommendations...Ocean Machine and Accelerated Evolution are probbaly his most accessible works. You can hear a wide selection for yourself at his mp3.com page.

Yes, check mp3.com for some downloads, and, anyone I've heard about Dev who didn't know him are quite positive now... He's does not sound like Porcupine Tree at all, not i a million years he doesn't!!!

Snowmaker said:
He's opening for Symphony X when I go see them in December. Am I going to be "wowed"?

Aside from Symphony X, some of my other favorites are Vanden Plas, Blind Guardian, Ayreon, Angel Dust, Gamma Ray.

Does he fit in with any of these?

The DTB doesn't fit with any other band, this band is unique, Dev is awesome.
Prepare yourself for a whole different music. Dev is not a helloween or an iron maiden clone, Dev has beautiful hairs, he is nice as ricky martins and the rest of the band rocks !!! You should enjoy the show, even if the DTB set is more "heavy" than "progressive"...

:)

Snowmaker said:
That In Absentia was the worst CD I ever got for free.
You've got a strange taste... :)

But I can understand that someone who's mainly into stuff like Blind Guardian or Gamma Ray, can't get into more rock oriented progessive bands. Well, Devin doesn't sound like Porcupine Tree, but I guess chances are high that you won't like Devin's stuff as well ...a big part of Accelerated Evolution, for example, is more like a heavier version of what we know as rock/pop ...with lots of atmospheric keyboards and stuff like that - so Devin has definitely more in common with Porcupine Tree than with Blind Guardian and that stuff. The most "metal" sounding Devin record is Physicist - but that one is more like Thrash and at times even Death Metal, but I don't know if you like that stuff...

Snowmaker is one of those "prog-metal" elitists who tends to hate anything that is actually progressive. Do not try to understand his tastes as you'll basically just get a huge headache.

Snowmaker said:

Does he fit in with any of these? Or does he have his own unique sound. As long as he doesn't sound like Porcupine Tree.
Oh boy.

Yeah- this guy is one of those "prog" fans, who wouldn't know prog (or anything thoughtful for that matter) if it punched him in the face.

He is obviously a fan of the cheese, and lots of it. ugh.

Ya know music doesn't have to be all shiny and fast all the time with lots of notes and double bass to be cool.

My prediction- you will not get Devin Townsend.

Prove me wrong - but as soon as he doesn't come out blazing like SymX or lay on the cheese you'll get bored like you did with Porcupine Tree. :(

buchkoba00 said:
Oh boy.

Yeah- this guy is one of those "prog" fans, who wouldn't know prog (or anything thoughtful for that matter) if it punched him in the face.

Ya know music doesn't have to be all shiny and fast all the time with lots of notes and double bass to be cool.

My prediction- you will not get Devin Townsend.

Prove me wrong - but as soon as he doesn't come out blazing like SymX or lay on the cheese you'll get bored like you did with Porcupine Tree. :(
I appreciate good music. Stating that I didn't like a certain CD or band is no reason to be an asshole.

Snowmaker said:

Even by knowing DT, you'll never know what side of him will be played live.
By the way I'm quite surprised to see him with Symphony X.

I think that to fit with your taste you can also have a look to the Vai album; sex and religion, with band members devin, steve vai, terry bozzio, TM Stevens. Even if this album is not well recognized by DT fans (Vai wrote mainly all the stuff).

buchkoba00 said:
You appreciate flashy music, that much is obvious.

I've had too many arguments with people like you who....

oh fuck it nevermind
People like me? What the hell is that supposed to mean? The closed minded ones are the ones that can't respect one's opinion. You arguing that In Absentia is a good CD is not going to make me like it.

I appreciate all sorts of music. Country, Classic Rock, Oldies, all forms of Metal, etc. I just didn't like Porcupine Tree.

buchkoba00 said:

Please tell me that you are not saying SymphonyX are a cheese band?!!!

Symphony X are not a cheese band in a literal sense. Figuratively... wellllllllll

Nicolas said:
Even by knowing DT, you'll never know what side of him will be played live.
By the way I'm quite surprised to see him with Symphony X.

I think that to fit with your taste you can also have a look to the Vai album; sex and religion, with band members devin, steve vai, terry bozzio, TM Stevens. Even if this album is not well recognized by DT fans (Vai wrote mainly all the stuff).
Devy and Bozzio should do an album together. that would be really cool.

Get a new fucking sig Kleo, that's bullshit.

Anyway, Devin Townsend is far superior to anything Symphony X has done. Whether it's the brutality of SYL, or the relaxed beauty of Terria. All his projects are excellent in their own right, and you'd have to be crazy not to enjoy The Devin Townsend Band at least a bit.