Jackson DXMG

xxSammaelxx

Enshrined by Grace
Feb 9, 2005
Is this a good guitar? I'm looking for a new guitar and have currently been playing for around 3 years now, and was looking for a Jackson, because I've heard many good things about them. This will run me around 600 canadian, so I wanted to know your guys' input/experience (if any) on these guitars, before I got one myself. I've read good things about em, but I want to check with you guys first.

i'm not a fan of the MG series, but i do like jackson. i prefer the SL line.
problem is they cost more. if you're looking at the MGs, also look at comparable ibanez.

HI xxSammaelxx i have a DXMG the whole guitar is ok in terms of the Neck and body. But the Locking nut failed for me after 3 months of use. Some how the screws were not going in so i had to replace it. The floyd rose till now is fine. But some times it gives a weird noise on my bass E string like a chime sound like something is loose. To me now the Quality control is now not that great after the take over by Fender.

Not sure what other guitar brands you could chose ... try Ibanez like Silent Song or maybe ESP.

Yeah, I was thinking, except esp's are usually very expensive. Unless you get a rather bad model for the same price. I don't have that much to spend, so 600-700 Canadian is my limit. I'll check into Ibanez's too. Thanks for the input guys. And could you give me some Ibanez tips? I'm just dazzled by amounts of models.

xxSammaelxx said:
Yeah, I was thinking, except esp's are usually very expensive. Unless you get a rather bad model for the same price. I don't have that much to spend, so 600-700 Canadian is my limit. I'll check into Ibanez's too. Thanks for the input guys. And could you give me some Ibanez tips? I'm just dazzled by amounts of models.

Haha, yeah, Ibanez definately has made a point about having a staggering selection. And while I'm happy with how mine has held up in the year and a half that I've had it, I feel it's necessary to point out some definate indications that non-Ibanez USA models are in need of some quality control help. Bear in mind, this is a $700 (American) RGT42FM, and I bought it new.

IMGP1917.jpg

Notice the fading of the paint around the pickup cover and bridge, as well as the crappy chipping on the low E string anchor - I guess my sweat is acidic :Smug: )

ef113e04.jpg

Kinda hard to tell from the pic, but see how the light is reflecting off of the 9th-12th frets under the D-high E strings, making the frets look flat? That's no illusion, they're that worn down, and I'm guessing a recrown is in the not too distant future.

Now I can't stress enough how much I love the way this guitar plays and feels, and with the replacement pickups (Dimarzios, cuz each and every Ibanez stock pickup is incomprehensibly awful) it sounds great. However, this can in part be attributed to the fact that it's one of the very few models that is Mahogany (with the Flamed Maple top, obviously), compared to the majority of the lineup that is basswood or - shudder - Agathis, although at your price level, I spose any offering from the competition wouldn't be much better (and if you dropped EMG's in it, it wouldn't matter anyway, cuz they can make a tin guitar sound evil :heh: ).

Pretty much the best I can say is for any guitar you get at the price level your looking, steer clear of any of the cheap Floyd Rose imitations (cuz your not gonna find a genuine or a good imitation for under $600 American!), because of their generally risky construction. I personally really really like the new Ibanez SZ series, and the ESP LTD EC-100QM or H-100FM are bar none the two sexiest finished guitars for their price range. As for Jackson, well, I'm not a fan, so I haven't really looked. :loco: Also, Brian Moore has a budget entry now, though I know nothing of it's quality (and I can't help but be nervous around a $250 price tag). So just look around, and remember - bargain Floyds = poop!