Jackson Soloist vibrato question

fremen

Old newbie
A friend is selling a Jackson Soloist (Jackson Professional in fact, so made in Japan, but that's the same), and some part on the vibrato block are damaged, so if I buy that guitar I'll need to change the vibrato. Question : can I install a regular Floyd Rose on it, will it fit ? Or will I need to install something else ? Thanks !

If you mean the sustain block, not only can you just buy a replacement to fix your Floyd but you can use the opportunity to "upgrade" to a larger aftermarket brass one. Some people report an increase in sustain. If the bridge is ruined beyond repair, well all I can say is I've had Original Floyds fit right in on guitars that had Jackson Licensed Floyds. Same spacing and all but maybe you should find out some more about that model. I'd go for it though.

I can't answer your question, I just wanted to say: Long time, no see! Where have you been hiding out??
ah ah, I've been mostly a casual lurker :) after too much time (2 years? I had to test every little trick I learned on this forum) working on the mix of my album (released December 2009), I needed a break from audio engineering.

I've not been musically inactive though, here's two videos of solos recorded with the Axe Fx, for friends, both using the recto orange model

For Conquest for Death, an American punk hardcore band. They came to Mauritius in 2007 and we've been friends since :

For Fabien Labonde, a French composer/keyboard player :

these are edit versions (only my solo part), and not the final mastered versions. Oh, and thanks to my Axe Fx demos, my youtube channel is reaching 200 000 views just now ;)

Back to the topic : Wrecknine, thanks for your infos ! I think I'll definitely buy that guitar and put a new Floyd Rose in it

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice stuff. :) Hope you don't take this in a bad way (lol), but the playing on the more jazzy thing almost reminds me of something in the vein of Alex Masi's 'Attack Of The Neon Shark'. (sort of) :)

There is article about various tremolos on Jacksons, including info about replacement with OFR:
http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm

ps. In case of Schaller floyds better to replace with new Schaller, no OFR, because of different post positions, see Schaller / OFR intonation problems problems.
Schaller is equal in quality to OFR (which is also made by Schaller) just different construction.

FWIW, I hate my Jackson Professional with a grudge (even though it was my first gtr)

Not worth a bridge upgrade, IMO.