Jacob Hansen sound?

WarriorOfMetal

Shroud of Bereavement
Nov 22, 2005
Boston, MA // Northern VA
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for approximating the typical Jacob Hansen sound, particularly the way things sound for heavy palm-muting. The album that I think possibly showcases this best would be Mercenary's "The Hours That Remain", but most of Hansen's mixes sound pretty similar to me, even when he's not using his typical VS8100/Recto setup.

Guitar setup for Mercenary was:
l_6f98224d6b7310ff34468148fd966ef6.jpg

For drums he uses xy tecnique for OH's, md421 for toms, etc... for guitars he usually use md421 as well.
When he mixes he starts with drums, followed by bass (heavy compressed and more dirtorted than you expect) and by guitars.

I do live sound for a band that recorded with Jacob Hansen.
They used a recto and a 5150, not sure which cab, miked with a 57 and a 421.
They said he liked to use quite a lot of gain on the amps (more than they were used to when recording). Jacob miked two different speakers and said he didn't worry much about phase issues, that he actually sometimes likes them.
I also remember them saying that the bass was split through both the bass amp (some kind of peavey) and through the guitar setup to for the crunch and bite.

I choose whatever amp I think fits to the music we're working with. In Mercenary's example, the choice fell on Bogner + the JVM Marshall head. Both compliment each other very well.

Two cabs were mic'd with 421's + GrooveTubes GT55 (I think it's called).

The guitars are dubbed 4 times.

Bass is DI + split into a guitar amp. I think we used Recto for distortion... Mics were RE20 + 421.

Drums are MD21 on SN, RE20 on Kick, 421 Toms, KMi84 OH, KM184 AMB.

Vox - U87.

Feel free to ask any questions :)

I choose whatever amp I think fits to the music we're working with. In Mercenary's example, the choice fell on Bogner + the JVM Marshall head. Both compliment each other very well.

Bass is DI + split into a guitar amp. I think we used Recto for distortion... Mics were RE20 + 421.

Vox - U87.

Hey Jacob,

I'm curious what you used on the Volbeat albums for the guitar sounds?

thanks

Joe

Vox - U87.

Welcome to AS forum Jacob:headbang:
Love your work on Yyrkoon album:worship:

Yes, it's been a while since I was here. Good to be back :)

Anyway, Volbeat... Michael has this kinda weird setup which we used on all albums. I believe it's a Marshall JCM800 the 2010 series. It's from the beginning of the 90's. There's an EQ + Sonic Maximizer in the effects loop. They contribute a lot to his sound. Also the fact that he's playing SG's with Seymour Duncans has a major impact on his sound.

We always track 4 guitars of pretty much the same guitar sound. Not very typical of me, but with Michael's special tone, it's such a great part of the Volbeat sound that we can't put a Rectifier or Fireball and whatnot in the mix :)

We used the new Marshall oversized cabs. Not sure what they're called, but they sound very good. Normally, I'd use my Engl + Recto cab, but these new Marshalls were very open sounding. Great low end, too.

Jacob do you mean the new Signatur Dave Mustaine cabs?

Another question:
You produced Maintains last CD. I heard some gossip that you didnt need to edit the drums at all? Is that true?
I played a couple of shows with Maintain and their old drummer (the one you recorded) and he is amazingly tight, but was he THAT tight?

cheers

I'm not sure if it's a DM signature...

As for editing drums, I normally let people play like 4-5 passes and pick out the best parts. I do some editing, yes, on almost every album. Especially if we are adding keyboards and effects afterwards, to avoid flamming arpeggios etc. In Maintains example, I didn't do much editing. He's a great drummer!

The DM cabs aren't oversized, they're the same as the other 1960's, it's the Mode Four cabs that are oversized (though they've been around for a few years now, Jens Bogren uses the MF400 w/ the G12K100's quite a bit)

Thanks for the info, guys...especially Jacob! I'll try to use some of these tips on the next recording I do for myself (since my band's sound wouldn't be as well-suited to this type of production)...no idea when that'll be, though!