JANNE and the New COB Album

7th COB album needs:

• More & louder keyboard background elements

Votes: 59 88.1%
  • No need for more

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters
You know what, let's let this thread sink, it's just insulting the band. I'm just an irritating fan who tries to tell them what to do with their art. Even if there was 100 000 votes against 5 they'd still do what they think is good. Does a band like COB really give a fuck what any fan thinks?

wtf?
The first bit of the post made me proud of you, the last sentence destroyed it again.. I dont get it.

I don't want to be one of those fans "hugging each other, trying to decide whether they (COB) are metal enough or not" like Alexi once said. It's already been made clear what fans want, but it's lame trying to tell musicians what to do with their art, when they're trying to make an impression.

I don't want to be one of those fans "hugging each other, trying to decide whether they (COB) are metal enough or not" like Alexi once said. It's already been made clear what fans want, but it's lame trying to tell musicians what to do with their art, when they're trying to make an impression.

Yes really. But I complained because malicedix is not helping this thread dying!

I love there keys, there the best! Like: Children of Bodom, Downfall, Silent Night Bodom Night, Everytime I Die, Kissing The Shadows, etc.
They need to do heaps more of that harmonizing shit and get back to there neo-classical ways...

I love there keys, there the best! Like: Children of Bodom, Downfall, Silent Night Bodom Night, Everytime I Die, Kissing The Shadows, etc.
They need to do heaps more of that harmonizing shit and get back to there neo-classical ways...
Please, stop. Stop saying ''they need this, they need that, they should do this or that'' etc. They do what they want to, and you are not obliged to listen to their music.

0:21.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrMejJyZtQM&feature=related[/ame]

I agree about the harmonizing part, the chorus harmony at Bodom Beach Terror (2nd chorus) is some of the most atmospheric and best melodies ever (but it gets trampled by the heaviness of the song so you need to focus on it or play again and again to really feel it). Bed Of Razors is another good example, some metal romance in those harmonies. They should make more of that for the new album, but I don't know what they're doing.. I guess it's just not easy to invent those melodies. I don't care if they have to rip them off some folk metal bands, just do it! But about the neo-classical thing, Alexi said a lot of bands were doing that stuff back in the day which is why he quit it, and I don't think neo-classical stuff was the secret to shine about their first albums. They're not less talented these days but are either interested in another style of metal or just lacking the same creativity which gave birth to songs like Warheart, Bed Of Razors, Downfall, Follow the Reaper, Everytime I Die, Mask Of Sanity etc...

Response to OP:

It's fine as it is with guitars and keybs in balance, but Janne needs to work on keyboard sound to make it blend better with the guitar sound. Not to give a widely hated band as an example, but when I saw Stratovarius live there were times when I had a hard time telling keybs and guitar apart. That would work well for CoB as well, otherwise the keyb elements can feel out-of-place sometimes.

As for "keyboards do not belong in real metal", that's bullshit. About any instrument can be metal with proper application.

Response to OP:

It's fine as it is with guitars and keybs in balance, but Janne needs to work on keyboard sound to make it blend better with the guitar sound. Not to give a widely hated band as an example, but when I saw Stratovarius live there were times when I had a hard time telling keybs and guitar apart. That would work well for CoB as well, otherwise the keyb elements can feel out-of-place sometimes.

Yeah it's hard to say. Maybe they just have different taste or maybe they were afraid when mixing the last albums that if we leave this synth line this loud in this chorus people could say it sounds pop. I'd rather hear the atmospheric string background on a chorus than Alexi's vocals with a chugging riff in background. Maybe someday I develop to realize what makes a generic chugging riff more memorable than a soul-scathing synth line :Smug: I just want shitloads of dark beautiful atmosphere instead of dull thrash riffs. It's not that big of a problem with this band but it's nice to exaggerate and discuss.

As for "keyboards do not belong in real metal", that's bullshit. About any instrument can be metal with proper application.

True. Listened enough ambient music to understand it's not all about playing patterns with instruments.

But I still think keyboards can be used in a lame fashion and that should be avoided with care.

I just want shitloads of dark beautiful atmosphere instead of dull thrash riffs.

===> http://www.myspace.com/carachangren

COB keybs have never been atmospheric in any major way. COB keybs are solo type, competing with the lead guitar. It can sound good, but is completely different style.

But I still think keyboards can be used in a lame fashion

...just like any other instrument.

Although yes, I personally dislike synth keybs most of the time and prefer classical piano.