COB Songs With Hit-Potential

(__Joonas__)

† Followed the Reaper †
Mar 23, 2005
Finland
Have you ever felt about a certain COB track that it didn't sound as good on the studio record than it does on a live display? You spot some cool things they do live but left off for the album, or just something else that's either spoiling the song for you or what could be improved.

Here's a list of such songs for me:

Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood - This song has potential to be just as big a hit as any COB song in my opinion. (See Japan 2003.) The guitar tone of HCDR is not the best for this song. The chorus synth melody should be louder. And they'd need to cut many of Alexi's additional shouts from here and there to make the riffs of the song itself feel more big. This is the way I see it; the album record does no justice to the song composure itself because of some guitar tone, keyboard mixing and vocal issues. I recently figured LBRH could be just as "big" as for example In Your Face.

Punch Me I Bleed - Song with awesome keyboards and feeling that can't be heard on the studio record. (See Nosturi 2005.) Also vocals not good enough on the album.

Chokehold - Why can't you hear the awesome keyboard on the chorus on the studio record at all?

AYDY - I think you can hear Roope's melody on the chorus better live.

Mask Of Sanity - Simply because the album version is too trebly, in other words lacking punch and the vocals are not ballsy enough. There's a live video of this song with amazing vocal work from Alexi.

Banned From Heaven - Chorus synthesizers at the second part of the double-chorus that ends the song can be heard only live, and they end the song in a brilliant way! Too bad they were left out of the album.

Trashed, Lost & Strungout - Once again, too down-mixed synthesizers on the chorus. This is very bad because it's an awesome melody.

Kissing the Shadows - The chorus harpsichord melody reminds me of Russian gay polka or something. It's mocking an otherwise cool song!

Deadnight Warrior sounds so much better live. I'm not sure why, but it just does. However for pretty much every other song I prefer studio version.

Of course we're going to see a lot of different views on this thread, but the main thing is to discuss. I think Deadnight Warrior is better as studio version.

Janne mentioned in some interview this being a cult song on the album, "but live? come on.."

Again, taste question.

I think that In the Shadows would have a lot of potential, especially because of the outro melody that is excellent, but there are few useless parts in that song. If they took some parts out of the song and didn't repeat the intro riff so often the song would be a killer one. That song has few other excellent parts too like the orchestra hit part right after the intro riff.

^I recently spotted a nice part in the song, when there's just the drum beat and some choir synthesizers. The ending is of course amazing but otherwise not an impressive song at all..

Yeah, the album version isn't very impressive but it has a lot of potential in my opinion. They should just improve it a bit.