X-Japan
Gackt

Some good Japanese metal bands:

Vomit Remnants
Intestine Baalism
Sigh
Shadow

Marksveld said:
No one knows Boris? Really? Its fucking wonderful drone-doom.

I am in the process of downloading Flood as of now. I listened to the first "part", it was great. I'm looking forward to it.

As for a few others...

Metalucifer (cheesy yet awesome riffin' 80s style heavy metal)
Church of Misery (stoner/doom with lyrics about serial killers and such)

None_So_Vile said:
Anyone know of any good japanese metal bands? im going to japan for 2 weeks in july, just wondering if there's anything i should check out
Anthem is definitely what you must listen to if you are into power metal. These guys have been pretty much steady in their musical pursuit for years. Their style hasn't changes as much as Loudness, once my favorite J-metal band. Another band I'd recommend is Concerto Moon. This guitar virtuoso named Norifumi Shima is the leader and he defenitely rocks. His style is neo-classical with lots of shredding. Think of Yngwie Malmsteen's rising force but a bit heavier. I wouldn't recommend X-Japan. They are very Japanese in style but not quite metal. If you want a softer, less "in your face" kind, check out Onmyoza. Word has it that they may be the next X-Japan, in terms of popularity. I can't tolerate X-Japan but I listened to Onmyoza's entire album and quite liked it.

Demiurge said:
Someone is sending me a dub of "Under a Black Moon" by some Japanese black metal band called Gnome. I look forward to hearing it. I find the band name to be very amusing, by the way.

Did you get this, how is it, and is there any way you could supply me with a rip? From the little I can find out about them, they seem quite interesting, and it's damn near impossible to get this anywhere (found this thread searching for information on them.)

Life Sucks said:
Intestine Baalism are pretty good, though they can sound quite Gothenburg-esque at times.

Yeah, I can see that. But the thing that sets them apart is their amazing vocal approach.

delize said:
Loudness

They are one of the leaders in Japanese hard rock/heavy metal.

yeah Loudness was cool back in the 80's.

Remember that video, I think it was for "Crazy Nights" ? Basically it was just Loudness and their fans like at a concert, pretty typical. But the video was about one second out of sync with the audio, so when they sang it looked like they were lip-syncing like one of those 70's kung-fu movies. That shit was funny.

PHalse proFit said:
malice mizer are the only japanese metal band iv heard, and its really fucking strange music, like cheesy power metal gone wrong

If you think Malice Mizer sounds anything like Power Metal then you need a fucking lobotomy IMMEDIATELY.

Yes, I know this is late. Anyway, I'm sure those with brains recommended Metalucifer. :headbang:

Norifumi said:
Anthem is definitely what you must listen to if you are into power metal. These guys have been pretty much steady in their musical pursuit for years. Their style hasn't changes as much as Loudness, once my favorite J-metal band. Another band I'd recommend is Concerto Moon. This guitar virtuoso named Norifumi Shima is the leader and he defenitely rocks. His style is neo-classical with lots of shredding. Think of Yngwie Malmsteen's rising force but a bit heavier. I wouldn't recommend X-Japan. They are very Japanese in style but not quite metal. If you want a softer, less "in your face" kind, check out Onmyoza. Word has it that they may be the next X-Japan, in terms of popularity. I can't tolerate X-Japan but I listened to Onmyoza's entire album and quite liked it.

I have to agree with Concerto Moon, great band. :D

Gonna throw Sex Machineguns out there. Mostly cause their music videos are fun to watch.

Last edited by a moderator: