Jaxx asking who wants to see James LaBrie

I noticed that too earlier. I wouldn't travel for it, but if he toured locally at that price I'd pay it. This just popped into my head, but if he could do some The Human Equation songs that would rule.

Wow, an evening of Dream Theater's weakest link? No thanks!!!

Ok, I will take one step back.

He isn't a bad vocalist by any means. I just think his voice is WAY too weak for DT. (Just my opinion).

Albums like Train of Thought could have been metal masterpieces if DT had a vocalist who could pull off their heavier side. HE can not.

Yikes! Well, perhaps the music on his solo tour would be more suited to him? If it's from his solo album, the music is probably more tailored to his style and range.

Though personally, I think he's good in DT. :)

He isn't a bad vocalist by any means. I just think his voice is WAY too weak for DT. (Just my opinion).

Albums like Train of Thought could have been metal masterpieces if DT had a vocalist who could pull off their heavier side. HE can not.

Eh. I disagree. I think his vocals work fine for Dream Theater. It's Portnoy's "singing" that doesn't work for DT. I really don't like this album though, so I most likely would miss this if this came near me. I know most of you disagree with me, but I just don't like this new direction of his.

I never understood the hatred towards LaBrie. He's a great vocalist in my opinion. Sure, he can be inconsistent live - as can Roy Khan, another singer that's highly worshiped around here. People seem to forget that James LaBrie had a serious vocal cord issue in the 90s and was only able to feel fully recovered around the Octavarium release. People just hate him for the sake of hating him, which is ridiculous.

I'm actually glad he decided to write a song in the new album dedicated to the naysayers.

I can't wait to go see LaBrie in his solo tour.

I never understood the hatred towards LaBrie. He's a great vocalist in my opinion. Sure, he can be inconsistent live - as can Roy Khan, another singer that's highly worshiped around here. People seem to forget that James LaBrie had a serious vocal cord issue in the 90s and was only able to feel fully recovered around the Octavarium release. People just hate him for the sake of hating him, which is ridiculous.

I'm actually glad he decided to write a song in the new album dedicated to the naysayers.

I can't wait to go see LaBrie in his solo tour.

Agreed. The only thing I can think of is that people want singers who can just fully wail and there's more to a singer than that. One thing Labrie does that most singers (in my opinion) can't do is put emotion and feel into his performance.

Train of Thought is my second favorite DT disc (Images & Words is my fave), and I thought LaBrie was perfect on that album. His solo albums are outstanding, and if you gave them a listen you might think of him as something other than DT's "weakest link."

I never really got why people think this way. I guess the overall opinion that everyone should be the best of the best and LaBrie is typically not thought of that way. That being said, I think he's pretty good.

But, the true weak link in DT is the songwriting, and that's been true for years. IMO, the last great DT song was "Lines In The Sand".

See above. This sounds like a songwriting problem more than a LaBrie problem, because you write toward what you have in the band.

^Yes.

My own preferred solution would be for DT to stop trying to be heavy metal badasses. The melodic hard rock & prog side of DT is my favorite aspect of them. (Case in point...FII; Lines in the Sand, even a song like Blind Faith which was a 6DOIT standout)

Well, I will give you guys that!!!
LaBrie is perfectly suited for more of their heavier hard rock and prog than metal.

I think their heavy material is written well, just not terribly suited well for James.

Look, I am a casual DT fan, and not just hating here, for the sake of hating.

Though, you know, when a member of a band you like is the member you like the least, you probably wouldn't be quick to go see their solo act.

I mean, how many Maiden fans would run out to a Janick Gers solo gig!!!! :lol: (Though I have been able to tolerate him more in recent years)

Yikes! Well, perhaps the music on his solo tour would be more suited to him? If it's from his solo album, the music is probably more tailored to his style and range.

Though personally, I think he's good in DT. :)

Heh. If you're going to hang in this crowd, get used to the LaBrie hate from portions of it - it only goes back to 1996 or so. :lol:

I like his solo stuff better than when he's with DT, but I'm still sorting out the new one...