Jaxx asking who wants to see James LaBrie

I think the booking agents are wise to go with smaller venues for this tour. When James did a few U.S. gigs as a warm-up for the Elements Of Persuasion tour in Europe, he couldn't draw half capacity in New York! It's a downright shame, but it's true. I'm ecastatic as can be to see LaBrie in a venue as small as Reggie's, though as Jasonic and Diabolik have pointed out in their unique way, I wish it wasn't actually Reggie's. By the way, I do blame Icarus Witch for this. I also blame Icarus Witch for air pollution, cancer, and child abuse.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I'm ecastatic as can be to see LaBrie in a venue as small as Reggie's, though as Jasonic and Diabolik have pointed out in their unique way, I wish it wasn't actually Reggie's. By the way, I do blame Icarus Witch for this. I also blame Icarus Witch for air pollution, cancer, and child abuse.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I agree with you in terms of Reggie's though. I still just don't like that venue. It may have good sound, but it's almost too intimate in there and yes, my feet tend to hurt quicker in there than anywhere else.

Yeah, but at the same time those prog fans you're talking about most likely wouldn't go to this once they've taken a listen to the new album. :lol:

Well, I think the draw has little to do with him having a solo album and more to do with getting to see the vocalist of Dream Theater perform in an intimate setting. Let's be honest here. No need to sugarcoat things.

I mean, would anyone even listen to a "James LaBrie" album if he wasn't the vocalist of Dream Theater? Sure, I know he has been involved with other projects, but his name is notorious with being DT's frontman.

Well, I think the draw has little to do with him having a solo album and more to do with getting to see the vocalist of Dream Theater perform in an intimate setting. Let's be honest here. No need to sugarcoat things.

I mean, would anyone even listen to a "James LaBrie" album if he wasn't the vocalist of Dream Theater? Sure, I know he has been involved with other projects, but his name is notorious with being DT's frontman.

In this case I disagree because of just how different this new album is. Sure, some hardcore Dream Theater fans would come regardless but most likely people that do get wind of this would take at least some sample listening and be shocked when they hear the death vocals. He will lose some potential attendees due to the change in direction I'm sure.

As for your second comment, you could say the same with most other vocalists that go solo too. I know you personally don't like the guy's voice, but there are a number of people that do. It's a silly debate though since it's hard to really know if his solo work would do well or not, whether he was in Dream Theater or not. The only thing we can say is it wouldn't sell as many copies.

True.

Jasonic said:

Chances are they would. The guy (whether you like it or not) has one of the most notorious voices in metal. A lot of people like him as a vocalist primarily, not necessarily as the voice of Dream Theater. The same question could be asked about any other heavy metal singer.

11/29 New York City at the Gramercy Theater. See you bitches there, even you Zod.

That's right. My new concert goal for this year is to convince Zod to come. :lol:

Chances are they would. The guy (whether you like it or not) has one of the most notorious voices in metal. A lot of people like him as a vocalist primarily, not necessarily as the voice of Dream Theater. The same question could be asked about any other heavy metal singer.

Yes, but I am talking about marketing here people.

Let me ask you this....
If you were a promoter of a date on this tour, wouldn't you put THE VOICE OF DREAM THEATER REALLY REALLY freakin' big on any advertising you did for the show?

This is my point. Sure, I agree he has enough fans who will go to see him just because it is him (Just like Halford and Dickinson too).

Still though, the fact remains is that these vocalists are known primarily (If not 100%) from their work with their main bands.

I agree with you in terms of Reggie's though. I still just don't like that venue. It may have good sound, but it's almost too intimate in there and yes, my feet tend to hurt quicker in there than anywhere else.

I suppose it depends on your background.
I went to MANY underground punk and metal shows back in the day, so I suppose I always had a soft spot for smaller and intimate settings.

I think REGGIE'S is great. Great food, plenty of space, good sound, the slanted downward floor so you can see from the back, etc, etc.......

Certainly has more persona than the boring as hell Pearl Room.

Well, we saw how well that worked out.

Actually, it did put a lot more people in the bar, so maybe that was a strategic move.

Yeah, that was kind of... weird. I wouldn't say they were a "crappy" cover band, per say, but.. it seemed like they, and the first two bands, didn't know who they were opening for.

But I guess you can't complain, because apparently, NOBODY asked to open for that show but us! Very strange, but a lot of people were there, I think, because of the lack of US tour dates. Did you know people drove all the way from the Carolinas to be there?? And Pennsylvania and Kentucky.. it was nuts.

Seems like the best way to get people to come to these shows is to book fewer dates!

Yeah, that was kind of... weird. I wouldn't say they were a "crappy" cover band, per say, but.. it seemed like they, and the first two bands, didn't know who they were opening for.

But I guess you can't complain, because apparently, NOBODY asked to open for that show but us! Very strange, but a lot of people were there, I think, because of the lack of US tour dates. Did you know people drove all the way from the Carolinas to be there?? And Pennsylvania and Kentucky.. it was nuts.

Seems like the best way to get people to come to these shows is to book fewer dates!

No they were bad. And my girlfriend and I did drive up from NC for the show.

I hope my band didn't disappoint, then.. lol That show meant a lot to us. I look up to Doro very much.

That's getting to be a serious problem at Jaxx. We had a conflict, or we'd have done it, but the lack of quality openers has become epidemic over the last two years.

Then again, going on at 6:30 has something to do with it, too - in the DC area, your crowd can't even get there to see you at that point!