Jazz that louder than most metal

FrankChurch

Dec 1, 2008
This is Last Exit. Tell me this man on the saxophone is not insane:

The jazzbos had to be shaking in their shoes when my man let loose. Brutal stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
i will admit i don't have very much jazz knowledge and i may be missing something here, but to me that was absolutely godawful

i will agree that the sax guy is insane. it's almost as if this is the first time he ever tried to play. there's no way anyone could ever listen to that whole song without being forced.

It is fuckin' awful. Meaningless wanking disguised as improvisation, not to mention the saxo player has absolutely no sense of breathing and sound projection. I'll stick to Coltrane, k thanks.

Definitely brutal as far as Jazz goes. You could argue that any Jazz improv is meaningless wankery really. Not my thing, but obviously a lot of people get something out of it.

There are exceptions, though. I remember listening to much better improv and phrasing from local artists at our annual jazz fest.

I can't get into much crazy improv style jazz much on mp3, but I went to a concert once, and it was fucking awesome. I'm sure plenty of people who enjoy it both recorded and live, but for me live added a lot to the experience.

This stuff however I don't find that bad compared to some other things people have tried to get me into. Much more accessible as far as erratic improved kvlt jazz goes. I might actually download some of this.

Definitely brutal as far as Jazz goes. You could argue that any Jazz improv is meaningless wankery really. Not my thing, but obviously a lot of people get something out of it.

Yeah, I don't think I will ever "get" free jazz. I can see how it would be a blast to play it, and it might even be fun to watch in a live setting. But beyond that I just fail to see any real appeal to this stuff.

Interesting to see Bill Laswell on bass though, I'm mostly familiar with him from his electronic music projects.

:lol:

Does this fall into this catagory : When you dont know what to do with yourself, do something anyhow... even if its WRONG :zombie:

No, the saxophone player is highly respected. Avant-garde jazz is not for everybody. Now I am sure you see why your parents may hate metal..lol

Bill Laswell would never hang with no talents.

Chuck Eddy put 3 Exit albums on his 500 best metal book.

Obviously Blotzman is a bit extreme, that was the point of me posting it, to show that there is music that is loud and crazy, that even metal fans cannot take it.

With free jazz you obviously have the masters, Ornette Coleman, Miles Davis with Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson. Sun Ra, Eric Dolphy, Albert Ayler, Archie Shepp, Bill Dixon, William Parker, Vijay Iyer, Matana Roberts, Chad Taylor, John Zorn, Assif Tsahar, and Tom Abbs, others.

That Last Exit stuff is bloody awesome.

I don't understand why you have to be forced to listen to this. I listened twice to it.

Some other GREAT jazz:

Last edited by a moderator: