JCM 2000 TSL, a good metal amp?

nergal_S

St. Anger around my neck.
Nov 20, 2002
Los Angles
Visit site
Hi i am looking into buying this amp, i have tried it at the store but i cant turn it up loud to see how it sounds. Is this a good amp for death metal or not?

same tubes that came with it and it sounds awesome. running it through a peavey 4-12, it has more bottom end then a marshall amp.
I'v heard enough bands with Mesas, all muddy and terrible sounding I think, I just didnt like that crap. I will never stop playing a Marshall.

I can't believe anybody would say Marshall's aren't good for metal. Practically 90% of all metal bands use Marshall. The JCM 2000 is probably the premier Marshall METAL amp. I've also heard Peavey 4-12 cabs will get you more bottom end than Marshall. It's probably not a really big deal, though. You'll love the JCM 2000 TSL. Trust me. You definitely won't need a pedal with it.

I think these sound terrible for metal. I think you can get a better metal tone out of a VS100 then the JCM 2000. i've spent some time trying to get the thing to sound right. if you're going for the iced earth chording and shit all the time, then its ok, but for anything with a lot of pickin, no way.

Yeah...basically the JCM 2000 in any form sucks. It can do pretty much 1 or two versions of the same gritty tone and that's about it. Rolling treble AND presence to 0 still leaves annoying high end shit. Fucking with midrange controls modified the annoying factor, but it's like marshall designed it so you have to scoop the mids in order to even tolerate the sound.

Original poster wanted to do death metal: don't use this amp, man. Go buy a 5150 for a lot cheaper. You'll sound much better. Hell.....a VS100 does sound better, albeit not louder. But if you want loud, then by all means. . .

Zakk Wylde doesn't even use a JCM 800, it's a JCM 800 chassis that's had the main board replaced... so in essence it's a custom amp.

The JCM 800's are the last good amp that Marshall has made, and they're only really worth a shit if you mod the hell out of them, and they STILL need some kind of overdrive, or something to push the preamp stage.

Originally posted by Darthlardo[/b]
5150s dont sound that good. All I can say is that marshalls rule. Perfect for metal.[/b]

Umm... Have you even played both at stage or rehearsal levels???

JCM 800's are different beasts altogether... Most of them are hand point to point wired...

All the new stuff, post 86 I believe, is pretty much cookie-cutter PC boards...

And a tube amp that uses diode distortion? Ugh... what are the tubes even for then??