how much I hate the TSL

SL-X and Dual Reverb are two entirely different animals. The pre section of the SL-X is completely different from the Dual Reverb, and the controls are also completely different. The SL-X has plenty of gain, to be sure. The Dual Reverb, in stock form, has about enough usable gain for a pretty decent hard rock tone and anything beyond that becomes thin, clunky, and unusable.

+1

The Dual Reverb, in stock form, has about enough usable gain for a pretty decent hard rock tone and anything beyond that becomes thin, clunky, and unusable.

I played the Dual Reverb live at one gig and I got a really nice metal tone from it without much tweaking. The cab was a 1960A 4x12".

I think the settings were something like:

Gain 6
Low 6
Mid 4
Treble 6
Presence 7
Volume 4

I played the Dual Reverb live at one gig and I got a really nice metal tone from it without much tweaking. The cab was a 1960A 4x12".

I think the settings were something like:

Gain 6
Low 6
Mid 4
Treble 6
Presence 7
Volume 4

If that's the case, the only thing I can think is:

a. That amp had a newer revision of the clipping circuit (mine was a first-year, could be they updated it for more distortion, which would make sense)

b. That amp was modded.

c. There were differences in the internal design between the U.S. and European models.

My JCM 900 was a first-year model. If I set it to the settings you posted, it would have had about as much distortion as an REO Speedwagon album.

Jeff...

you mentioned about the led being used for clipping/distortion purposes, and the red led requires higher voltage to clip. so if i wanted to mod such a thing (say dump a green LED in there) would i also need to change the resistor its coupled with? the reason i asked is that i remember my marshall valvestate using a red LED and it flashing whilst im on the OD channel, so im assuming its using the same method to create some of the distortion as the 4100?

You don't need to do anything funny, just drop it in (RIGHT DIRECTION!) and go.

Jeff

I found the TSL to be a bit fizzy and muddy/fluffy sounding the higher the gain knobs were. I was expecting more BITE.

Kinda like the lead channel on a DSL at max (which I actually personally use with the gain right down and the volume up, simply as a second channel for a clean tone :loco:). SUCKS.

Nice heavy tone from a DSL with a GE-7 in the FX loop (boosting the bottom end a bit and removing some fizzy top end) and SD-1 in front of the guitar, level cranked and drive backed off a bit. Sounds nice tune down to my ears too.

VERY trebley though - I wonder if this harsh treble i'm hearing is present in older Marshalls?

I'd REALLY like to hear how my setup compares with an old JCM 800 or the recent KK model.

Actually I'd like to hear it next to a JCM 900 SLX too...

Maybe a JVM too?

Does anyone know if the hot rod mods adds extra mids as well as gain to give more of a similar sound to a sound that has been boosted with a pedal of some sort?

:loco:

[quote="Evil" Aidy;7403252]I found the TSL to be a bit fizzy and muddy/fluffy sounding the higher the gain knobs were. I was expecting more BITE.

Kinda like the lead channel on a DSL at max (which I actually personally use with the gain right down and the volume up, simply as a second channel for a clean tone :loco:). SUCKS.

Nice heavy tone from a DSL with a GE-7 in the FX loop (boosting the bottom end a bit and removing some fizzy top end) and SD-1 in front of the guitar, level cranked and drive backed off a bit. Sounds nice tune down to my ears too.

VERY trebley though - I wonder if this harsh treble i'm hearing is present in older Marshalls?

I'd REALLY like to hear how my setup compares with an old JCM 800 or the recent KK model.

Actually I'd like to hear it next to a JCM 900 SLX too...

Maybe a JVM too?

Does anyone know if the hot rod mods adds extra mids as well as gain to give more of a similar sound to a sound that has been boosted with a pedal of some sort?

:loco:[/quote]

Anyone?