advice about marshalls

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
I'm currently using a JCM 2000 DSL with a 1960 cab, and to be honest, I really don't like the tone from the head. It's just a little, well, castrated. It needs more balls, I guess. It's got plenty of gain, but it's kinda more of a heavy rock amp, rather than melt-your-face amp. Therefore, about six months ago, I purchased the Boss GT8 MultiFX Processor and absolutely love it. If any of you don't have it, I highly recommend it. But now, I'd like to simplify the rig a bit more and use more natural tube distortion, rather than the amp simulators (which are awesome, nonetheless). If any of you own a GT8, then you'll know what I mean about the 4 cable method, which I use. Now, I'd like to integrate the GT8 with the amp distortion to maybe get it a bit more ballsy, rather than completely bypassing the amp's preamp with the 4 cable method and using the GT8's preamp.

My questions for all you Marshall users are the following:

What kind of setup do you have?

Have you had this type of experience with the DSL or TSL, and if so, what did you do to fatten up your tone?

Lastly, if you have a GT8 as well and have any advice on how to integrate it better without completely overriding the amp, could you please share the knowledge?

Thanks guys!

I like this amp with a Mesa 4x12 the most...
Pushing it with a Tubescreamer could help!

*edit* I meant
The DSL50 thru a Recti Std Cab! I played the DSL 50 thru a 1960A and it sucked!

When I had the dsl100, the only way of getting a decent tone was using the green channel, with ns2 and ge7 on the loop and sd1 in front.
the cabinet used make a big difference, I started using a 1960A, and it was fizz central, when I moved to rectifier straight cabinets, that nasty high end was tamed, but the amp lacked balls.
I modded the amp to run at 50W and the tone improved, but it was a single sound amplifier, I needed some kind of clean channel for the band.
If I just needed a overdriven sound, it would be fine, but it had the classic marshall character.

I have a TSL running thru my Mesa cabinet. I agree with you though, I haven't been able to get the greatest (or even workable) tone out of it either. I have a OD808 in front of it but from my experience you can't use much of the tone/distortion from the pedal on it since the Marshalls already distort the high-end too much for me anyways. The tone I get is pretty "fat" but just lacks in every other way when compared to my 5150 or Recto. I'm still working on different settings to get it to sound good though because I know it's possible.

One of the guitarists I used to play with used as TSL - I think he just used really extreme settings, like bass at 10, mid at 0, treble at 5 (I can't remember exactly).

Though I thought the whole point of the 4-cable method was so you can use the GT8 for cleans and the amp's preamp for the crunch? It should be set up like this:

Guitar -> GT8 Input
GT8 External Send -> Amp Input
Amp FX Send-> GT8 External Return
GT8 Output -> Amp FX Return

Put the amp on the crunch channel, with the FX loop on. On the GT8, you set the distortion to use an external overdrive, and it sends it through the amps preamp, so your crunch comes from the DSL. The clean tone uses the pedal and goes straight to the power amp. If you're not using the 4-cable method to do that, what are you using it for? :guh:

Steve

I didn't like that head at all for what I was doing, but when I was using the GT8 through it I used the four cable method as well. Unfortunately the channel switching was incompatible with it, as it is with most marshalls. It seems like only models from certain years work with it for some reason.

dsl's are great amps and record fantastically for me, granted if your using a 1960 a they sometimes dont have that trouser flapping bottom end, but the second you stick a mic in front of them they really shine.

give it a chance
but i doubt you'll need a 808 style boost on it.

if you must have more bottom try boostin with the eq in the loop

I have a DSL100 through 1960a slant. It is a good amp don't get me wrong but it is not everyones cup of tea when metal is the context of the conversation. It has a very crazy top end that needs to be tammed but once that is out of the way you can get some good sounds with it.

Suicide_As_Alibi said:
One of the guitarists I used to play with used as TSL - I think he just used really extreme settings, like bass at 10, mid at 0, treble at 5 (I can't remember exactly).

Though I thought the whole point of the 4-cable method was so you can use the GT8 for cleans and the amp's preamp for the crunch? It should be set up like this:

Guitar -> GT8 Input
GT8 External Send -> Amp Input
Amp FX Send-> GT8 External Return
GT8 Output -> Amp FX Return

Put the amp on the crunch channel, with the FX loop on. On the GT8, you set the distortion to use an external overdrive, and it sends it through the amps preamp, so your crunch comes from the DSL. The clean tone uses the pedal and goes straight to the power amp. If you're not using the 4-cable method to do that, what are you using it for? :guh:

Steve

What I was basically doing was bypassing the preamp completely and using the amp simulators from the GT8. It gets a really clean and crunchy sound, but what you're talking about is what I've been looking for. This is what I'd like to do:

I'd like to use the GT8's array of stompboxes and effects in conjunction with the distortion of the amp's preamp, while using the crystalline clean tones from the GT8 to bypass the preamp, like you said. However, I don't like the fact that all the knobs on my amp are bypassed and I must control the volume via the GT8. You mentioned putting the GT8 on external distortion...what I was thinking was just go into the MANUAL mode and use some various stompboxes in conjunction with the amp, and switch back and forth between clean and crunch on the amp. What you're saying is something that I haven't noticed before, if I'm not mistaken, that you CAN use the 4 cable method IN CONJUNCTION WITH the amp and not to bypass it completely. Please tell me IN DETAIL about the settings you are talking about because I didn't even know you could set the distortion to an external source! I know my way around the GT8 fairly decently, but I'm still new and since you have one, then you know that it takes many months to even get to the point where you have a good handle on it.

What I've done now is I've plugged it straight into the input jack of the amp, with the guitar into the GT8 and I'm just going for it instead of the 4CM. Now, you have given me a different approach to it, and I may have overlooked a setting or two...or ten.

I've been struggling with mine too. I about gave up on it and have been using the POD live. Anyone have any tube suggestions for the DSL100? I'm using the Mode 4 cab w/ v30's inside. Really missing the body a real amp gives you, especially live.

Dead Winter

Read this and understand it before trying anything (my method is further down in this post):

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11871

As long as the "Loop" is set to on in the GT-8, your Amp's preamp will be in your gt-8's "Loop". Position the "Loop" in the desired position in the GT-8's effect chain.

Most users of the 4CM with the GT-8 have reported a slight loss of punch after sending through the GT-8's effects loop (I guess it's not that transparent). A few Marshall users on that GT-8 Forum have had a few more problems than others, I seem to have noticed.

Here is the front page:
http://www.bossgtcentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums

Make sure you check out the "GT8 Connections" Thread, before posting any questions, they will most likely have been answered.

A typical effect chain for the 4CM that I use is (along these lines):

Wah>OD>PRE>LOOP>NS>EQ>FX1>FX2>CHO>DEL>REV

NS - Noise Suppressor isn't normallly there for me (usually near start of chain) but the GT's Loop introduces some noise so put the NS here to get rid of it.

The "Effects Return" LEVEL is very important to get right. Read the tutorial thoroughly.

I used the tutorial as a guide, and went a bit further to level match the sounds by micing my cab and looking at an Input Level Meter in my recording software. I did the following with the amps Master Volume on 5 to check that the level matched at decent volumes.

MAKE SURE YOUR GT8'S EFFECT RETURN IS ON 24 (DEFAULT 100) IN CASE AS MENTIONED IN OTHER TUTORIAL IN CASE YOU HAVE A LINE LEVEL ON YOUR AMP (AND NOT AN INSTRUMENT LEVEL)

Step One:

Guitar>Amp Input - play your guitar and note the largest input volume

Guitar>Gt8 Input>GT8 Send>Amp Input - make a new patch with NO preamp or effects ON and set "Effect Send" Level to 100. Play guitar and note level (is it the same as with no GT-8? If yes good, if NO make sure "Patch Level" is on 100 (no other effects, EQ are on, etc...) and adjust GT-8 "Effect Send Level" until it matches (it should be close anyway, if not firstly make sure your "input level" is set correctly on the GT-8, mine is set at -3db for my EMG pickups for example)

Guitar>Gt8 Input>GT8 Output (left mono for example)>Amp Return
MAKE SURE "OUTPUT LEVEL KNOB" ON BACK OF GT8 IS ON MINIMUM AND ADJUST THIS UNTIL YOUR LEVEL MATCHES THE ORIGINAL GUITAR>AMP INPUT LEVEL You shouldn't need to adjust this again, I covered mine with some duct tape. This is slightly different than in the other tutorial, but makes more sense to me, but who am I:heh: .

Guitar>Gt8 Input>GT8 Send>Amp Input>Amp Send>GT8 Return>GT8 Output (left Mono for example)>Amp Return
MAKE SURE YOUR GT8'S EFFECT RETURN IS ON 24 (DEFAULT 100) IN CASE AS MENTIONED IN OTHER TUTORIAL IN CASE YOU HAVE A LINE LEVEL ON YOUR AMP (AND NOT AN INSTRUMENT LEVEL)

Play your guitar and note the level, if too low, raise the "Effect Loop Return" on the GT8. If your amp's Loop is Line Level it should be 100 (or slightly higher to allow for the loss from the GT8's loop). Don't go too much higher, you will hear it. It will introduce too much noise and mod effects will be muddy, etc...

As an example, I am using a Krank Revolution, I have read someone from Krank saying that their effects loops are not designed for individual pedals but for rack type units with Send/Returns due to the pedals having some sort of compounder thing or something that keeps the levels at guitar/instrument levels. This gave me the impression that I would need ot set the "Effect Return" Level low. I tried it and the level was far too low. I raised ti to 100 and was much closer. There is a slight loss of volume, but I thought it is better to be slightly under than over so not to boost the input to the poweramp. It does take away some of the crunch as well (ever so slightly but noticeable, and still useable).

I think that's about it. Once those levels have been set up, when you make new patches, just be careful not to introduce any clipping from the GT8 by using the Level meters in the GT8 and move through the effects chain to make sure you are keeping unity gain with each effect.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS JUST MY ROUGH GUIDE, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.:loco:

You can now use your amps tone in your GT-8's loop when the "LOOP" is switched on, or turn the loop off and use the GT-8's preamps into your amps poweramp. The cool thing is that things like your wah, pickup simulator, OVERDRIVE (put that Tubescreamer on and boost the REAL Amps preamp), etc... is before your GT-8's preamp or your REAL amps preamp (if the loop is on and the gt8 preamp is off) and mod effects, delays are after the preamp where they should be, as you can see here:

Wah>OD>PRE>LOOP>NS>EQ>FX1>FX2>CHO>DEL>REV

where "LOOP" is your REAL Amp's preamp and "PRE" is the GT8's preamp.

Overall this 4CM is not perfect (due to the small losses and introduced noise - remember to have the noise suppressor after the LOOP), but is easy useable/tolerable with my amp at least, I hope it works for you, even though a few guys with Marshalls are having problems with it as I mentioned. Good luck.

Here is a quick clean sample I did the first day I got my Krank Rev. It is the Kranks clean channel (in the LOOP of the GT-8 ) with the GT-8's chorus and delay after it going back to the Krank's poweramp

Chain:

BC Rich EMG85 (Neck)>Boss GT-8>Krank Revolution>Mesa Trad 4X12>SM57>M-Audio Firewire Solo>Cakewalk Guitar Tracks. No post EQ, anything (raw recording) just volume boosted.

It was just a test recording one-track, one-take, bum notes and all.

http://www.keepmyfile.com/download/c7601b1144870

Hope this post helps, I know its rough, but I'm in a bit of a hurry.

i don't think the dsl is really suited for most high gain, more rockish stuff, but if you really tweak it, you can get a useable tone out of it. I got it to sound pretty decent for some 80's metal.

RBA

Yes it does. I used an existing guitar lead and put a stereo plug on the end that goes to the amp. I can use the GT-8 to switch channels which is cool (I can assign the CTL pedal on the GT8 to switch amp channels, turn on some chorus and delay simultaneously for some clean stuff, then hit CTL again and it goes back to dirty with no effects. One press on the CTL footswitch to do 3 things in this case or upto 8 if you like, no tap-dancing required, or change to a different patch and totally change things around like putting the Wah after the Pre-amp for something different, etc...endless possibilities, gotta love it) now I am rambling, sorry:heh: , but I obviously cannot switch between the 2 volumes on the Krank channel since I haven't got the Krank footswitch connected anymore. One thing I might have to fix is that when using this cable, the Master 2 is the selected Volume knob rather than the Master 1, not that this is a big deal. I just have to put a bridging wire inside the stereo plug so that Master 1 is selected, but I probably wont even bother.

I had thought about putting a socket on the Krank footswitch and plugging the GT8's channel switch cable in series with the Channel push button (once I had bridged it) so I could still use the Master Volume pushbutton option (as well as channel switching via the GT8), but just figured that if I wanted a volume boose I could program it easily enough with the GT-8.

GuitarHack said:
RBA

Yes it does. I used an existing guitar lead and put a stereo plug on the end that goes to the amp. I can use the GT-8 to switch channels which is cool (I can assign the CTL pedal on the GT8 to switch amp channels, turn on some chorus and delay simultaneously for some clean stuff, then hit CTL again and it goes back to dirty with no effects. One footswitch press to do 3 things or upto 8 if you like, no tap-dancing required, etc...endless possibilities, gotta love it), but I obviously cannot switch between the 2 volumes on the Krank channel since I haven't got the Krank footswitch connected anymore. One thing I might have to fix is that when using this cable, the Master 2 is the selected Volume knob rather than the Master 1, not that this is a big deal. I just have to put a bridging wire inside the stereo plug so that Master 1 is selected, but I probably wont even bother.

I had thought about putting a socket on the Krank footswitch and plugging the GT8's channel switch cable in series with the Channel push button (once I had bridged it) so I could still use the Master Volume pushbutton option (as well as channel switching via the GT8), but just figured that if I wanted a volume boose I could program it easily enough with the GT-8.
Beautiful! My friday afternoon just got busy:headbang:

I love my DSL 100 and yes it does metal very well with a 1960A cab with T-75s. You absolutely need a tube screamer to push it though. Trust me, with the tubescreamer you'll be set. Also, do not engage the mid shift button. I think it sounds like crap with it in.

On the Stereo plug, use the Tip and Rear section of the plug, the smaller section between the 2 is for the Master Vol 1 or 2 switching. I didn't wire anything to that corresponding connection inside the plug.

Remember that Master 2 will be the selected Volume, set it accordingly.

Here's a sample patch:

Patch Name: Krank 4CM
Patch Level: 100
FX Chain: wah od LP NS pre cs eq fx1 FV fx2 CE DD rv DGT

--- FX-1 (Off) ---
Effect: Phaser (PH)
Type: Eight phase
Rate: 10
Depth: 50
Manual: 55
Resonance: 30
Step Rate: Off
FX Level: 20
D. Level: 70

--- WAH (Off) ---
Type: Cry Baby
Pedal Pos: 100
Level: 100

--- LOOP (On) ---
Mode: Normal
Send Level: 100
Ret. Level: 100

--- OD/DIST (Off) ---
Type: T-Scream
Drive: 0
Bottom: 0
Tone: 0
FX Level: 40
D. Level: 0

--- FX-2 (Off) ---
Effect: Flanger (FL)
Rate: 25
Depth: 50
Manual: 75
Resonance: 80
Separation: 0
Low cut: Flat
FX Level: 25
D. Level: 65

--- DELAY (On) ---
Type: Single
Time: 420
High Cut: Flat
FX Level: 5
D. Level: 90

--- CHORUS (On) ---
Mode: Mono
Rate: 48
Depth: 45
Pre Delay: 16.0
Low Cut: Flat
High Cut: Flat
FX Level: 60

--- NS (On) ---
Threshold: 50
Release: 10
Detect: Input

I have the CTL pedal asssigned to:

turn Delay ON/OFF
turn Chorus ON/OFF
Switch amp channel

I have the Expression pedal assigned to:

Turn Wah and Delay ON/OFF Simultaneously.

Put the GT-8 in manual mode and stand on:

"OD/Dist" Footswitch 2 to put the tubescreamer sim in front of the Krank's Preamp (play with level, still working a suitable one out)

"Delay" Footswitch 3 to turn delay on/off

"FX-1" Footswitch Bank DOWN Arrow to turn Phaser on/off

"FX-2" Footswitch Bank UP Arrow to turn Phaser on/off

Go nuts.:headbang:

Hope you are good with assigns to get the CTL pedal setup right.

i also find the dsl to be kinda dull sounding with the matching marshall cab...however thru an orange or splawn cab, i've gotten some really great tones from the dsl100 heads