Marshall users!!!

dude i own a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 and beleive it or not...two behringer 4x12 cabs seen here

amp.jpg

i can go from pantera to van halen and it sounds great.

I know what you mean about the inbuilt distortion tho....im using a pod xt live for my distortion and thats working great (no speaker sim tho)

dude i own a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 and beleive it or not...two behringer 4x12 cabs seen here

amp.jpg

i can go from pantera to van halen and it sounds great.

I know what you mean about the inbuilt distortion tho....im using a pod xt live for my distortion and thats working great (no speaker sim tho)

oh and i run the pod in to the effects return, i dont use the normal input for anything.

The power stage of the amp could use a master volume dial...but it will do until i get a band again!

That means the Marshall is barely doing anything for your sound...

it's just amplifying the tone the PodXT is making. And the Pods can go anywhere tonally

Are those Behringers any good? Everyone I've talked to that's tried them says they're terrible, but the price is really attractive.

In the US the pricing scheme isn't so awkward.

Have you looked into ENGL? the Fireball might be a good fit and ENGL is known as a European Peavey tube amp-wise.

I also really like Engl as well as Peavey. Engl are just as expensive as Peavey though, and there's tons of places around here that I can get both...it basically boils down to what suits my taste rather than what is available because everything is available here.

That means the Marshall is barely doing anything for your sound...

it's just amplifying the tone the PodXT is making. And the Pods can go anywhere tonally

Are those Behringers any good? Everyone I've talked to that's tried them says they're terrible, but the price is really attractive.

I have a Behringer VAmp Pro, its not exactly the greatest sounding unit, but for the price it simply slays everything else

the FCB1010 board is supposed to be pretty good, I've seen a lot of people use those for midi-controlling their rigs (its just a midi-controller, not a floorboard-version of the VAmp or something)

beleive it or not the marshall amp does slightly colour my sound.

the valves and reverb give it a marshall croak, as for the behringer cabs, they work, they are loud, not bad quality (lacking mids tho, but great for scooped sound metal)

and they are half the price of a marshall cab so i got two.

the vamp pro i own too, i love it and i have a pod xt live too, i think the pod is more fun coz it has USB and i upgraded the metal shop and classic pack but the vamp pro has some killer sounds too!

-Jim

This has been my experience: I wanted a Marshall a while back, and I went to the store and tried out every head they sold, and cost was no issue. I literally A/Bd the $1500 stuff against the G100RCD solid state head that costs about $350. I got the cheap one - not the new one with the digital effects, because the reliability on them is crap - but the old version. It has a CD input, if you can believe that. I now have 3 of them because you can buy them on Ebay for about $250 or less used.

I run that head through a Mesa 4x12 and use no pedals for my distortion. I play a Brian Moore i8 with Seymour Duncan JBs. That's the rig that I use most of the time live - and for recording.

I do have also a Spinal Tap custom rig that I built - it's all in a custom rack enclosure and I have a Bogner Uberschall and the Marshall splitting my cab for the heavy tone, and the Marshall for the clean tone. I also have a TC Electronics G-Major and a Digital Audio Corp GCX midi switcher. I have a couple of pedals mounted in the rack for certain effects.

BUT....I use the Marshall through the Mesa by themselves 90% of the time and it sounds killer. The Mesa really brings out the low end in the Marshall head, but it also keeps the high and high mids that Marshall is known for intact. The model for the head is G100RCD.

This has been my experience: I wanted a Marshall a while back, and I went to the store and tried out every head they sold, and cost was no issue. I literally A/Bd the $1500 stuff against the G100RCD solid state head that costs about $350. I got the cheap one - not the new one with the digital effects, because the reliability on them is crap - but the old version. It has a CD input, if you can believe that. I now have 3 of them because you can buy them on Ebay for about $250 or less used.

I run that head through a Mesa 4x12 and use no pedals for my distortion. I play a Brian Moore i8 with Seymour Duncan JBs. That's the rig that I use most of the time live - and for recording.

I do have also a Spinal Tap custom rig that I built - it's all in a custom rack enclosure and I have a Bogner Uberschall and the Marshall splitting my cab for the heavy tone, and the Marshall for the clean tone. I also have a TC Electronics G-Major and a Digital Audio Corp GCX midi switcher. I have a couple of pedals mounted in the rack for certain effects.

BUT....I use the Marshall through the Mesa by themselves 90% of the time and it sounds killer. The Mesa really brings out the low end in the Marshall head, but it also keeps the high and high mids that Marshall is known for intact. The model for the head is G100RCD.

I have the 30W combo-version of this (G30RCD, it was my first amp) and its actually pretty good for what it is.
I just tried running it as a preamp into my bass combo for rehearsals and I think I'll keep doing that. it sounds good enough for rehearsals (with the bass-combo it actually sounds quite a bit better and tighter than with its own poweramp/speaker) and I dont want to carry my Powerball and 212 cab for each rehearsal, so......

I went to guitar center a few weeks back and tried all the Marshalls, and all of them sound like rock amps. Most of the bands I see are using Marshalls, but I don't see how they get heavy sound out of it. Does anyone know what pedals are good for getting that sound? I'm thinking of getting a nice tube amp, but they seem so expensive compared to the Crate halfstack that sounds perfect for metal.

Peavey 5150/6505 can be had on ebay for $600 or so off ebay.

There's nothing wrong with the higher end Crates though. Dave Suzuki of Vital Remains plays through one and he sounds pretty damn good.