Marshall users!!!

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
I'm currently using a JCM 2000 DSL with a 1960 cab, and to be honest, I really don't like the tone from the head. It's just a little, well, castrated. It needs more balls, I guess. It's got plenty of gain, but it's kinda more of a heavy rock amp, rather than melt-your-face amp. Therefore, about six months ago, I purchased the Boss GT8 MultiFX Processor and absolutely love it. If any of you don't have it, I highly recommend it. But now, I'd like to simplify the rig a bit more and use more natural tube distortion, rather than the amp simulators (which are awesome, nonetheless). If any of you own a GT8, then you'll know what I mean about the 4 cable method, which I use. Now, I'd like to integrate the GT8 with the amp distortion to maybe get it a bit more ballsy, rather than completely bypassing the amp's preamp with the 4 cable method and using the GT8's preamp.

My questions for all you Marshall users are the following:

What kind of setup do you have?

Have you had this type of experience with the DSL or TSL, and if so, what did you do to fatten up your tone?

Lastly, if you have a GT8 as well and have any advice on how to integrate it better without completely overriding the amp, could you please share the knowledge?

Thanks guys!

I don't own a Marshall, but I know that asking this at the Andy Sneap forum on UM will give you some good ideas. Just ask politely as you have here and im sure you'll get some food for thought.

i also own the dsl and the cab with vintage 30's. like you said, the ultra gain channel lacks balls, but has enough gain. try getting an overdrive/boost pedal and boosting the crunch channel, i tried it tonight instead of the ultra gain channels and trust me, same amount of gain if not more and so much more balls! if you want to shape the tone of your amp a bit more get a decent EQ (mxr 10 band seems popular) and stick it in your effects loop. improves the tone quite a bit. just experiment. good luck dude.

guitarguru777 said:
The TSL is a rock amp, Not a metal amp. and the MF is a POS.

+1,000,000
I've never OWNED the MF head, but i've played it, and the tone is by far not worth the price... I owned a MF cab, and am STILL kicking myself in the arse for wasting the bones on that one...I got a killer deal on it tho, guy gave it to me at cost, was just trying to get rid of it...and I still feel ripped off..

Here are some great marshall sounding amps without the marshall pricetag

---USA---

Peavey 5150, 5150 II, 6506+

H&K - Triamp

Mesa - Stiletto (you can find revision 1 models for around $500 on ebay)

Krank - Revolution

Madison - Divinity (not the best company but good tone for the cash)

---Europe---

Engl - Fireball, Powerball, Blackmore

Diezel - The Low End Amps Pack A Mean Punch

Dead Winter said:
I'm currently using a JCM 2000 DSL with a 1960 cab, and to be honest, I really don't like the tone from the head.

I also have a DSL 100 through which I run 1960 cabs. I also think that the amp's distortion sucks. I also run 4 cable method, but with my GT-6. It helped immensely. In fact, I now like my tones so much that I am no longer thinking about getting rid of the it. I love my GT-6.

im getting rid of my dsl 50 head.the peavey bandit craps all over it and everyone else agrees.would i be better getting a xxx a 6505 or an ibanez thermions someone said they sound like bogners???

If you like Marshall type tones... Like

Zakk Wylde, Van Halen, Arch Enemy, In Flames

Go with the 6505 or 6505+
Its not a very HIGH GAIN amp ... but add a TS9 or DS1 in frint of it and its just Metal Heaven.

The Thermion is a decent amp but you get more bang for the buck with the 6505. The thermion has very shrill high end if your not careful.

The XXX isnt bad but the 6505 shits all over it. The XXX does have more gain but the 6505 with the pedal is the king of tone.

Peavey 6505/5150 is probably the most popular metal amp, followed by Mesa Rectifier.

What kind of sound are you looking for? If you like the tone of the Boss GT-8 you might like a Line 6 HD147. Very versatile, very good sound quality as well. I use mine and it beats out every other amp I've tried or heard, except for $2K+ amps.

The Laney GH100Ti is supposed to sound like a Bogner Uberschall. Very low middy, growly, insane bass/gain. You can get it for $900 online.

Ibanez Thermion is supposed to sound like a Mesa Dual Rectifier

If you told us what sound you were looking for then we could help you a lot more

Welp, I've checked out several amps and I really like the XXX and 6505 tones. But I remember trying a XXX one time and it just didn't have the volume that my Marshall has. Maybe it was a gain thing but I distinctly remember thinking that it should be a lot louder than it was.

Right now I'm pretty happy with the GT8 connection in the amp; I've added some external distortion to it and it's got a lot more balls now...but I still want that XXX or 6505.

Wow...I really like Bury Me an Angel by Arch Enemy...before Angela...when they were still kinda brutal thrash. Also Carcass had an awesome sound during the Heartwork/Swan Song years, but that was probably because Mike Ammott was in both bands and influenced both sounds. I think they were using 5150s. Also the guitar tone on Burn My Eyes from Machine Head is godlike, but then again Rob uses that 5150 only for the studio...it's a one of a kind. I really don't care too much for Mesas. They're good and heavy but they sound too raw for me. I really like the sound of the old 5150s. However, I heard the 6505 slays everything in its path, so I'm kinda leaning more towards that.

6505 and 5150 are the same thing. Some old 5150s were shipped with different power tubes but other than that they are identical.

Go for the 6505. You will not be disappointed. It will make your GT8 sound like a toy

from what ive been told the 6505+ isnt worth the extra 500 bucks.so i might check out the 6505 and whack a tubescreamer through the front end.the only problem is no fucker has one in their stores.

from what ive been told the 6505+ isnt worth the extra 500 bucks.so i might check out the 6505 and whack a tubescreamer through the front end.the only problem is no fucker has one in their stores.

I've got a Boss GT-8 which has just about every effect built in, and I was actually planning on using the Tubescreamer stompbox setting with the amp anyway if I ever get one. Right now I use a more metal stombox setting with the Marshall, but the 6505 may only need a little boost rather than a fucking rocket up it's ass like the Marshall needs. I tried the Marshall with the tscreamer, but it just gives it a little nudge; I realized I have to push it down a flight of stairs with another setting to get the sound I want. The only problem now is money because they are expensive, even if I trade my Marshall in on a used one.