Jet City 1X12 Isolation Cab Questions

Not tried it, very interested though. You would get a significant dB reduction but the physics of it means you're still going to get a significant amount of sound transference. You'd probably get away with a small amp like you say but you will almost certainly still be able to hear it.

Not tried it, very interested though. You would get a significant dB reduction but the physics of it means you're still going to get a significant amount of sound transference. You'd probably get away with a small amp like you say but you will almost certainly still be able to hear it.

If I could crank something like a Blackstar H-5, and keep it at the volume of lets say a tv, then I'd be pretty happy.

I checked these out at NAMM and was very impressed with the amount of sound reduction.

If you look on youtube there is a clip.

It went from where you could barely hear the guy playing amidst the ambient noise to blasting your face off once the door was open. I was a little taken back by how effective it was.

At the same time I don't have much experience with iso cabs. Another thing that is a selling point for me is that it is the only one I know of that is designed by a speaker manufacturer. This one is designed by Eminence, while the others seem to be more independent cabinet makers. Could go either way I guess.

But then the price... $399 and widely available with a 12" speaker.

I think the USB is totally useless and it needs a second mic mount. It would be interesting to hear how it delivers on tone. I read/hear nothing but mixed reviews about the others out there.

I'll look for that Youtube vid.

Any idea which Celestion the Eminence in this thing sounds like?

I'll look for that Youtube vid.

Any idea which Celestion the Eminence in this thing sounds like?

Oof no idea. I would doubt that it is really meant to sound like any Celestion.

I am pretty familiar with the Celestion Vintage 30, Seventy 80, Greenback, and G12H30. To my ears, from memory, when they opened that hatch, they didn't really sound like any of them. They use the same speakers in their other cabs, so it should be easy to try them out and compare. I know they were specially designed and voiced for Jet City.

That's another cool thing though... god I sound like a fanboi. But the plan is to have them pretty widely available, might be at every local Guitar Center.

I used to have a dead room isolation cab, and i could never get rid of the hollow sound it produced. Also, i dont think ive ever heard a clip of another iso cab that isnt hollow.

The vids I found on Youtube are mostly people just talking and playing the occasional blues lick, so I didn't really get a sense of what the speaker really sounds like.

I was informed that the V30s are an excellent choice for studio/recoding work. Maybe I'll try one of those if I end up not liking the Eminence.

...when they opened that hatch, they didn't really sound like any of them.

The enclosure in front of the speaker will change its sound characteristics anyway. When you open the hatch it acts like a kind of horn, so there's lots of diffraction, big change in frequency balance and also sounds louder than the speaker would if mounted on a flat baffle.

With the hatch closed it will sound different again, and its mechanical and electrical responses will change. That's why if you stick e.g. a V30 in an iso-cab the sound is different from a V30 in a normal 1x12.

To get a V30 sound in an iso-cab you'd have to start with a speaker which doesn't resemble a V30 when used in a normal cab.

Perhaps Eminence have designed a speaker specifically intended for iso-cab use here? Someone ought to, 'cos the normally-desirable speaker specifications are not well-suited to being used in such an enclosure.

I checked these out at NAMM and was very impressed with the amount of sound reduction.

Note also when the hatch is closed the greater air pressure on the front of the speaker limits its excursion -- the cone is actually making less noise with the hatch closed than when its open, so not all of the reduction in level heard from the outside is due to the sound isolation. That's important to bear in mind if you need an iso-cab to keep external noises out -- don't assume if the speaker sound drops by say 40dB when you close the hatch that external noises will be reduced by 40dB inside the cab.

To get the normal sound of the speaker used in an iso-cab you'd have to modify the acoustic impedance, e.g. by loading it by using an air labyrinth. Rivera do that, but their iso-cab is hella expensive.

Iso-cabs have a distinctive quality to their sound, in greater or lesser degree. Some like it, some don't. And like normal speakers, they all sound a bit different. The advantages of acoustic isolation are IMO null and void if the resulting sound compares unfavourably, by your taste.

I really like the look of it and it seems well built for the money. Got some serious gear lust for that.
But damn that USB out is retarded. Why did they do that?

Would be perfect for my place but I'll most likely just build one with my dad.

What about just using a blanket to cover the enclosure. It shouldn't have as bad of a reflection issue as a box would. It won't eliminate the sound but should reduce problems other than floor coupling.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but it looks like they lowered the price on these to $329, also noticed that the listing on the Jet City page is listed in a darkened color which I think may indicate discontinued product.

At $399 I wanted one, but figured I'd wait to see it the price went down. Well - it looks like they may be blowing them out now so maybe I'll keep an eye on one and see how low it will go before you can't find them anymore. A nicely built ISO cab would be a nice addition to my home studio. :)