Jet City JCA20H mods?

Only mods I got on mine were the custom tolex and the metal grill faceplate. Put a TS in front of it and its got plenty of gain and tone. I love mine.

Yeah I mean I know I will like it, the videos I have seen sound great even at 12oclock settings, and I'm upgrading from virtually nothing, but I figured it might be worth looking into.

Try out the head first. I was looking at mods, too, but when I got to play the head, I really don't see any need to mod it.

I wish I could try it easily. I live in a very small town with 2 music stores. One has fender and line 6 amps, the other has bugera and line 6 amps.... Lol I would have to make about a 2 or 3 hour drive to Tennessee to play it :(

Btw guitar guru, how does the ht-5 and jca stack up against each other? I know they are completely different amps, but I'd like an opinion from someone who has both. I play, of course, metal, with a 7-string guitar, but I need whatever amp I get to have great cleans as well. Could you possibly Do a short comparison review? I should also say I will be playing live and I'm not sure if the 5w blackstar will get me through a gig.

Yeah I think I'm just going to go ahead and buy it new for 333 because it's cheaper and also I could just use my overdrive and try different ones as well.

Btw guitar guru, how does the ht-5 and jca stack up against each other? I know they are completely different amps, but I'd like an opinion from someone who has both. I play, of course, metal, with a 7-string guitar, but I need whatever amp I get to have great cleans as well. Could you possibly Do a short comparison review? I should also say I will be playing live and I'm not sure if the 5w blackstar will get me through a gig.

Honestly last night I took all 3 micro heads to rehersal and the Krank clearly was the winner. Mine doesnt have the channel switching of the blackstar which is a great feature, but the Blackstar just wasnt cutting it in a BAND setting. Its great in the studio but once you get it up past half volume it gets pretty uncontrollable in the low ended muddyness even with the bass turned down.

The JCA compared to the HT-5 is night and day difference. The JCA delivers more usable gain and more upper mids which really make the amp sing. The HT-5 has a better clean channel in my opinion and is much more versatile on the clean side. I can dial in a real chimey fenderesq sound or a nice thick AC30 type sound with a turn of the ISF control. The JCA cleans are good but they are very "american" type cleans. Not extremely "chimey" like a fender and not exactly percussive and resonant like a JC120. I put it somewhere in the middle.

I wold say if you want real versatility go with the JCA as it has more usable tones across the EQ in my opinion. The Blackstar is a 2 trick pony and the gain channel is really only usable with the mids scooped all the way out and the ISF control turned all the way "American" side.

I havent played a Rev JR Pro so I really cant compare that to the Blackstar as they both offer channel switching. But my Rev Jr sounds absolutely fucking crushing even next to my 5150. The cleans are VERY clean and nice and fenderesq which I love. The Rev Jr pro is more versatile in the cleans as it has a High and Low EQ Control, so you can dial in the cleans a bit more. But with all the said if you want METAL with a good clean then go Krank, if you want Rock with one usable Metal tone and a very versatile clean channel go Blackstar. If you want something that does everything equally well then JCA

Honestly last night I took all 3 micro heads to rehersal and the Krank clearly was the winner. Mine doesnt have the channel switching of the blackstar which is a great feature, but the Blackstar just wasnt cutting it in a BAND setting. Its great in the studio but once you get it up past half volume it gets pretty uncontrollable in the low ended muddyness even with the bass turned down.

The JCA compared to the HT-5 is night and day difference. The JCA delivers more usable gain and more upper mids which really make the amp sing. The HT-5 has a better clean channel in my opinion and is much more versatile on the clean side. I can dial in a real chimey fenderesq sound or a nice thick AC30 type sound with a turn of the ISF control. The JCA cleans are good but they are very "american" type cleans. Not extremely "chimey" like a fender and not exactly percussive and resonant like a JC120. I put it somewhere in the middle.

I wold say if you want real versatility go with the JCA as it has more usable tones across the EQ in my opinion. The Blackstar is a 2 trick pony and the gain channel is really only usable with the mids scooped all the way out and the ISF control turned all the way "American" side.

I havent played a Rev JR Pro so I really cant compare that to the Blackstar as they both offer channel switching. But my Rev Jr sounds absolutely fucking crushing even next to my 5150. The cleans are VERY clean and nice and fenderesq which I love. The Rev Jr pro is more versatile in the cleans as it has a High and Low EQ Control, so you can dial in the cleans a bit more. But with all the said if you want METAL with a good clean then go Krank, if you want Rock with one usable Metal tone and a very versatile clean channel go Blackstar. If you want something that does everything equally well then JCA

Thank you very much guru! I appreciate you taking the time to sit down and type all that out lol. Honestly I've really got to decide if I want to buy both the jca and the ht-5 or just the krank. I had previously considered the rev jr pro as well. To be honest I had heard some pretty bad things about the krank from other forums and threads online. Is this most likely because they didn't figure out how to tweak it? Of course I know that you have to take those opinions with a huge grain of salt though. Man I'm just going to have to make a drive one day to try all of these out! .... If I can't, it will just be taking a shot in the dark :/

Holy balls, that would me amazing!! :D I shall have to prepare one of my songs for this. And believe me i have plenty of time. I had a good amount of money stacked up for an amp, but i recently had a crisis that pretty much depleted all that i saved. So now im back to square one for at least a little while. But yeah man, PM will be sent soon! :)

If you want to send me some DI's of your stuff I would be more then happy to reamp them through all 3 amps to see how you feel about each one :)

Time is a factor so it may take a few weeks, but I would be happy to do it
Maybe just "Rose of Sharyn" di's? I am also interested in this test.

Maybe just "Rose of Sharyn" di's? I am also interested in this test.

The point of him reamping would be to see which amp I like best with my own equipment. If you use the rose di's that's jeffs equipment which is muuuuuch better than my own lol.

Going to bump this thread, I was looking on fja's sight and I see he mods the jca20h and I was thinking of having him put in a mid sweep and possibly the depth mod. I figure you really can't go wrong with a mid sweep on any amp. True?