Job:Reamping-Whats your price??

joelplagues

Jan 11, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
www.myspace.com
At the moment I'm lining up what is to be my first outside band project and examples of the guys music can be heard here

http://www.myspace.com/hatedisciplebbmc

I'm sorting out a quote for them and pricing right now but I'd like to get an idea of guys who may be interested in reamping the guitars for me.

the project will be for only 2 songs

P.M me with your prices for quad tracked and dual tracked as well as examples of your work(not sure what I'm doing yet. I'm recording the guitarist for something else tomorrow so I'll see how tight he is)

Im looking for guys with actual amps and cabs not impulses and ampsims

Thanks

Joel

How is $10-$15 a song the "usual amount." Are you guys taking your recording seriously? You can't even buy three good beers in a bar for that much money.

If you really care about a project, you're going to spend a minimum of an hour trying out different speaker combinations, amp combinations, tone-stack settings, boosts, preamps, etc. Then you actually have to reamp the track. You're telling me you charge $7.50 an hour for your recording services? You might as well be working at McDonalds... at least they offer benefits.

James Murphy had a nice long conversation about degrading and derailing the audio industry in a recent thread here. How do you guys expect people to take you seriously now? Some of the people in this thread have work of a caliber that justifies charging reasonable prices. If you keep low balling yourselves, you're never going to make it anywhere, and no one will ever respect you.

How is $10-$15 a song the "usual amount." Are you guys taking your recording seriously? You can't even buy three good beers in a bar for that much money.

If you really care about a project, you're going to spend a minimum of an hour trying out different speaker combinations, amp combinations, tone-stack settings, boosts, preamps, etc. Then you actually have to reamp the track. You're telling me you charge $7.50 an hour for your recording services? You might as well be working at McDonalds... at least they offer benefits.

James Murphy had a nice long conversation about degrading and derailing the audio industry in a recent thread here. How do you guys expect people to take you seriously now? Some of the people in this thread have work of a caliber that justifies charging reasonable prices. If you keep low balling yourselves, you're never going to make it anywhere, and no one will ever respect you.

I can agree with this.

you know what, i'll do the reamps for 5 bucks,

its better to have work, even if it doesn't cost that much, then to have no work..

i am not gonna do it for 5 bucks, thats just stupid. but i take fucking offense to that when apparently I "don't care about my recordings" because i don't charge 50 bucks for a reamp

I also think $10 is pretty low... that's only $100 for a full 10 song cd... That isn't much. I think $20-$30 is more reasonable if you're good and reliable

But I don't think doing it by song is the best way to do pricing.... there's a big difference between 3-4 minute metalcore songs and 8+ minute prog metal epics. Maybe charging per every 5 min of music or something would be better.

I totally agree with this but you have to build a portfolio of sorts. Its worth taking the hit to your pocket. That being said someone like me who doesnt have a "full on studio" per say isn't looking to be working with the caliber of artist Jeff, You, or James are working with. $25 - $30 is well worth it to have someone like yourselves do it.

Me personally i work with local bands, and the guy in his house recording his own CD's. My equipment is far from the best in the industry and that more then justifies my pricing. I would never try and pass my self off as a "Big Time" guy that does re-amping. Honestly if a project came my way that was looking for super high quality I would defer them to one of you guys.