Job:Reamping-Whats your price??

I don't think it's that professional to be dealing with numbers over a forum anyway. PM each other or something like Ermz said. You wouldn't hear Sneap talking numbers out in a thread unless he was talking about how many bowls of cereal he's eating haha.
Keeping everything on front street like this is a fucking recipe for disaster and conflict.

If reamping was so quick and easy and you weren't paying for knowledge and experience that would render Andy's reamps on a par with any average joe who owns a reamp box and is willing.

James,

Some kid coming into the forum and posting an entire CD for you to work on for free is just ... for lack of a better term fucked up. As for charging $10, $50, $100 for a re-amp as stated originally in this thread one or 2 pages ago by me, I don't see an issue for the lesser known guys around here with gear that's not quite up to par with guys like Jeff, Lasse, and yourself to charge less then you guys.

My post was actually directed at the guys who were getting on Ryan for charging to little. Its his work, if that's all he wants to charge that's up to him, but the guys did get butt hurt over it no matter what anyone says.

Comments like:
How is $10-$15 a song the "usual amount." Are you guys taking your recording seriously?

Thanks for devaluing my services.

Ryan did NO SUCH THING, and he's not some NOOB who doesn't know what the fuck hes doing. Granted Jeff's post quoted above was in reference to Ryan being a smart ass, but hes not de-valuing anyone's services on here, at the end of the day its Ryans time. If people like his tone then cool then pay $10 - $15 for a re-amp. If they like Jeff's then they pay more...... bottom line is they are getting paid.

Now as for what guys like Ryan, me, and a few others are doing. Its all about generating business in order to get your name out there as someone who can deliver a quality product, at least for me it is. Hell I even record locals bands here in Vegas for FREE, just to try and get my name out there. How are guys like us who really want to do this going to find clientele? We cant get internships at studios, we don't get jobs with "name" people on them. How would you like us to be able to do this? Are we not supposed to because "the professionals" like Jeff and you are doing it. Should we just leave it to you guys and throw all of our hopes and dreams out the window?

(FYI, if any of this reads as a fuck you and your opinion, its not ..lol I, this is all being said in a quiet and cool manner. No more fighting in this thread. Lets have some intelligent discussion)

James,

Some kid coming into the forum and posting an entire CD for you to work on for free is just ... for lack of a better term fucked up. As for charging $10, $50, $100 for a re-amp as stated originally in this thread one or 2 pages ago by me, I don't see an issue for the lesser known guys around here with gear that's not quite up to par with guys like Jeff, Lasse, and yourself to charge less then you guys.

My post was actually directed at the guys who were getting on Ryan for charging to little. Its his work, if that's all he wants to charge that's up to him, but the guys did get butt hurt over it no matter what anyone says.
sorry guru... i still think you are wrong-headed on this... and at the very least he should not be posting those prices publicly... as already stated, it leads to nastiness eventually.

Oh I agree, nastiness does come into play. I shouldn't have posted prices and was wrong for doing so, That I agree on. I wasn't thinking it would be such a big issue as the quality of work of the bigger guys around here warrants the price difference in my mind. We just don't see eye to eye on it, and that's fine.

Its all about generating business in order to get your name out there as someone who can deliver a quality product, at least for me it is. Hell I even record locals bands here in Vegas for FREE, just to try and get my name out there. How are guys like us who really want to do this going to find clientele? We cant get internships at studios, we don't get jobs with "name" people on them. How would you like us to be able to do this? Are we not supposed to because "the professionals" like Jeff and you are doing it. Should we just leave it to you guys and throw all of our hopes and dreams out the window?

In a year or two you will probably realize it doesn't work that way. By working for free, you aren't building a clientele. You're building a group of "friends" who know you work for free, and who like telling their friends they have this "friend" who works for free, and so on and so on. Right now you might think it makes your job easier in the future and brings in more clients, but it's quite the contrary. I'm saying this with zero arrogance, since I'd have nothing to back such attitude up with, I'm just telling you I did the same mistake and I'm still answering e-mails about doing a demo for a twelve-pack and a free fucking sticker. And guess what those bands say when I tell them the rate of a professional studio and my fees? Exactly. "Oh, ok. Well, we know this one guy who does this stuff for free, but thanks anyway."

If you don't see how Ryan charging basically nothing for solid-quality reamps devalues my services, you're retarded. Simple as that. You lack basic understandings of cause-and-effect relationships in a VERY simple business model, and I find that disturbing.

No, Guru, I enjoy making valid points based on sound logic and reasoning. You like to stick to your original shitheaded statements, regardless of how wrong they've been proven, and regardless of how many people join up with my 'argument.'

There is no 'agreeing to disagree' on this, but I will definitely move on because I'm convinced that you're just way too daft to be treated in any other manner.

It all comes down to how much the band is willing to pay.
If I had near 0 studio-worthy gear, then it would make sense to me to buy 250$ worth of strings, record awesome DIs and then pay 750 bucks (for example) to get all my guitars and bass reamped in a crushing room with crushing amps, cabs, mics and preamp, and it would still be cheaper than what I paid for my Rev. 1 head.

EDIT: Economically speaking, it IS direct competition between the "reampers" here, so yeah, it is devaluating the market to charge way less than your next competitors. Capitalism works that way, admit it or not. Money talks.

EDIT: Economically speaking, it IS direct competition between the "reampers" here, so yeah, it is devaluating the market to charge way less than your next competitors. Capitalism works that way, admit it or not. Money talks.

So using that logic, cause the Hyundai Genisis has the same exact features as the BMW's they devalue the BMW's? No it doesn't cause you are paying for the quality of the work getting done. BMWs are made to last forever, Hyundais are made with cheap labor and parts.

So using that logic, cause the Hyundai Genisis has the same exact features as the BMW's they devalue the BMW's? No it doesn't cause you are paying for the quality of the work getting done. BMWs are made to last forever, Hyundais are made with cheap labor and parts.

Then they don't have the same features, if they have cheap parts and cheap labour

So using that logic, cause the Hyundai Genisis has the same exact features as the BMW's they devalue the BMW's?

yes.

comparing the automobile industry, a durable goods industry, to the recording industry, which is a service industry, is fallacious and does not further your point.

NO GURU.. i'm going to get LOUD NOW, lol.... ryan is damaging his own business, and being a bad neighbor in this community by quoting those types of prices. it doesn't affect me at all, i'm not in competition for those jobs and don't want to be.... but for the others on this forum that are and do want those jobs, pricing like that is akin to pissing in the village drinking-water supply.

there's offering an affordable service, and then there's sabotage.

LOL @ Loud :p

I don't know maybe I just don't see it cause there really isn't much competition here in Vegas. There is very little work to be had here to be honest. Its a town known for cover bands not original bands. I just don't see how it hurts the "big guys".

Ok so then maybe a change of gears is in order. There is a ton of healthy respect between the lesser known guys around here, how do we keep from pissing in once another faces. We have already established that not posting prices is a good way to go. What else can we do, and still keep clients coming in the door? If your the same price as every other guy then how do you get business?