Job:Reamping-Whats your price??

How is $10-$15 a song the "usual amount." Are you guys taking your recording seriously? You can't even buy three good beers in a bar for that much money.

If you really care about a project, you're going to spend a minimum of an hour trying out different speaker combinations, amp combinations, tone-stack settings, boosts, preamps, etc. Then you actually have to reamp the track. You're telling me you charge $7.50 an hour for your recording services? You might as well be working at McDonalds... at least they offer benefits.

James Murphy had a nice long conversation about degrading and derailing the audio industry in a recent thread here. How do you guys expect people to take you seriously now? Some of the people in this thread have work of a caliber that justifies charging reasonable prices. If you keep low balling yourselves, you're never going to make it anywhere, and no one will ever respect you.

I have to agree with you here Greg. We all know there is more guys coming into audio with cheap equipment and little knowledge and charging nothing for their recordings. Which sucks for those of us that are passionate about our jobs.

The reason people need to charge a reasonable amount for their services is because in years audio might become like playing in a band here in Australia. 10-20 years ago bands received hundreds for playing a small show. now your lucky to get 2 beers because everyone started offering to play for free because clubs would rather get a band who'd play for free then fork out a couple hundred.

either way I've replied to everyone via pm's and the decision for this project will be made by the band. If they pick someone more expensive that's fine, it just eats away at my profit as I have given them a quote for my complete services and told them what it includes. I don't mind if I don't make as much from this because as most people I'm trying to get my foot in the door.

yeah 25-30 is pretty legit i hope to be charging that when i get my new preamps

And I think this is a good thing dude, because you should be getting much much more than that for the quality of your stuff \m/ My band will probably be going to you in a couple of weeks once we have our EP recorded, because we need some good reamping done :D

Ultimately, it's no one but Ryan's business what he charges people. If we're going to have a general understanding to not publicly discuss rates (or better not publicly stating them at all IMO), then that should apply to all ends of the spectrum.

It doesn't matter if people have valid points - I agree, they have. But IMHO, it's just not the right place nor manner to go about this. If you have an issue with the way he runs business or you take offence in it, contact him privately. But don't publicly call out people if you don't want the same happen to you.

How is $10-$15 a song the "usual amount." Are you guys taking your recording seriously? You can't even buy three good beers in a bar for that much money.

If you really care about a project, you're going to spend a minimum of an hour trying out different speaker combinations, amp combinations, tone-stack settings, boosts, preamps, etc. Then you actually have to reamp the track. You're telling me you charge $7.50 an hour for your recording services? You might as well be working at McDonalds... at least they offer benefits.

James Murphy had a nice long conversation about degrading and derailing the audio industry in a recent thread here. How do you guys expect people to take you seriously now? Some of the people in this thread have work of a caliber that justifies charging reasonable prices. If you keep low balling yourselves, you're never going to make it anywhere, and no one will ever respect you.

nothing to add.

Haha I knew this thread would basically turn into a bidding war :Smokedev:

IMO the pricing should have been done through PM's with perhaps the thread being about people throwing up some examples of their work then the OP taking it from there with the person they prefer into private chat, rather than "Whats your pricezzzz!?"?

Well at least it didn't turn into a bidding war.

I really think some people here just got "butt hurt" cause they know Ryans re-amps fucking rock and hes cheaper then them. Re-amping IS NOT a lot of work, and I really think charging $10 - $15 or a dual tracked songs is more then fair. If its quads, then fine $20 - $30. But if your just sticking a 57 in the sweet spot on the cab and playing back the tune its really a no brainer. Half of these guys hook up more cables then it takes to re-amp when they practice in their bedroms or with their bands.

I really think some people here just got "butt hurt" cause they know Ryans re-amps fucking rock and hes cheaper then them. Re-amping IS NOT a lot of work, and I really think charging $10 - $15 or a dual tracked songs is more then fair. If its quads, then fine $20 - $30. But if your just sticking a 57 in the sweet spot on the cab and playing back the tune its really a no brainer. Half of these guys hook up more cables then it takes to re-amp when they practice in their bedroms or with their bands.

This is like expecting to pay close to the amount a car costs to build from the factory when you buy it new, completely ignoring all of the R&D that went into building it in the first place. You're not paying for some dudes time to wait for your tracks to be played through his amp, you're paying for his equipment, experience, knowledge, and ultimately judgement on what makes a good tone.

As far as people getting butt-hurt over Ryan stealing their business, I'm just not seeing this happen, in all honesty.

You ultimately get what you pay for, and in the end, not only do I not understand how anyone expects professional quality reamps for $15 a song, I've not seen it happen, either. You can sit there and justify your low prices all you want, but it really comes down one of three things: you aren't confident in your skills enough to charge more, your work just simply isn't worth more to other people, or you're cheating yourself.

Saddly, the latter really doesn't happen as often as you'd think.

This is like expecting to pay close to the amount a car costs to build from the factory when you buy it new, completely ignoring all of the R&D that went into building it in the first place. You're not paying for some dudes time to wait for your tracks to be played through his amp, you're paying for his equipment, experience, knowledge, and ultimately judgement on what makes a good tone.

As far as people getting butt-hurt over Ryan stealing their business, I'm just not seeing this happen, in all honesty.

You ultimately get what you pay for, and in the end, not only do I not understand how anyone expects professional quality re-amps for $15 a song, I've not seen it happen, either. You can sit there and justify your low prices all you want, but it really comes down one of three things: you aren't confident in your skills enough to charge more, your work just simply isn't worth more to other people, or you're cheating yourself.

I don't even know what to say to this its so ........ oh I'm not getting into an argument. Lets agree to disagree and be done with it.

Ryan don't let these guys get to you. Your shit rocks.

As stated in the OT thread I started I am posting my retort to Jeffrey here.....

If you get paid $10 or $20 its still getting paid. Its a totally different situation. Just cause you feel that $10 - $15 is too little to charge for your services doesn't mean it does to someone else. I would put Ryans re-amps up against yours any day to be honest......

Now if you want to discuss this fine then discuss, but don't go dragging it into other threads that don't have anything to do with this.

Now obviously someone who asks you for a re-amp likes your tones. I don't know about you, but when I get a re-amp request its always in reference to a job I had already done. So walking into my "studio" and duplicating a set up for a tone isn't all that difficult. I go back to my notes, set up the pedal, amp, and cab. Throw the 57 in front of it on the sweet spot for that particular CD / Song (photos really help here). Hook up my 4 cables, import tracks, play them back and record. The entire process takes less than an hour usually. You should know walking into the job if the bass tone or something else in the mix isn't going to get them the result they want.

Unless you are dealing with having to heavily edit guitars, or you don't have some sort of reference for what the band wants I cant see charging any more then an hours worth of work. So if you studio is $20 an hour so be it.

You ultimately get what you pay for, and in the end, not only do I not understand how anyone expects professional quality reamps for $15 a song, I've not seen it happen, either. You can sit there and justify your low prices all you want, but it really comes down one of three things: you aren't confident in your skills enough to charge more, your work just simply isn't worth more to other people, or you're cheating yourself.

QFT

As stated in the OT thread I started I am posting my retort to Jeffrey here.....

If you get paid $10 or $20 its still getting paid. Its a totally different situation. Just cause you feel that $10 - $15 is too little to charge for your services doesn't mean it does to someone else. I would put Ryans re-amps up against yours any day to be honest......

Now if you want to discuss this fine then discuss, but don't go dragging it into other threads that don't have anything to do with this.

Now obviously someone who asks you for a re-amp likes your tones. I don't know about you, but when I get a re-amp request its always in reference to a job I had already done. So walking into my "studio" and duplicating a set up for a tone isn't all that difficult. I go back to my notes, set up the pedal, amp, and cab. Throw the 57 in front of it on the sweet spot for that particular CD / Song (photos really help here). Hook up my 4 cables, import tracks, play them back and record. The entire process takes less than an hour usually. You should know walking into the job if the bass tone or something else in the mix isn't going to get them the result they want.

Unless you are dealing with having to heavily edit guitars, or you don't have some sort of reference for what the band wants I cant see charging any more then an hours worth of work. So if you studio is $20 an hour so be it.

Guru.. you have lost me here buddy... sorry, Jeff is right, and you are VERY wrong-headed here... and your opinion on this re-amping things is 180º diametrically opposed to the opinion you had in the other thread regarding mixing and mastering contests... if you can actually reconcile these two polar opposite opinions in your mind you just may be schizophrenic. i don't think you are, i just think you do not have a good concept of sound business practice (which lo-balling everyone else by a massive margin is NOT), and/or just really wanna make-out with Ryan. ;)

don't get mad now... still pals? :D

Could we get professional here and keep the price quoting to PMs? All this ever serves to accomplish is a bidding war that pisses on everyone in the end. Some kid will ultimately offer to do it while PAYING the band.

In the past the price hasn't been much of an object for me when looking for reamping services. A shitty reamp done for $5 is worth nothing to me, whereas one done for $60 per song might just 'make' the record. I've shelled out of my own pockets at times where the band haven't been able to.

There is no reason to offer services for so little. You want to get a reputation for quality that people continually return to, rather than be the guy who most efficiently low-balls everyone. Many of these rates are not sustainable.

Could we get professional here and keep the price quoting to PMs? All this ever serves to accomplish is a bidding war that pisses on everyone in the end. Some kid will ultimately offer to do it while PAYING the band.

In the past the price hasn't been much of an object for me when looking for reamping services. A shitty reamp done for $5 is worth nothing to me, whereas one done for $60 per song might just 'make' the record. I've shelled out of my own pockets at times where the band haven't been able to.

There is no reason to offer services for so little. You want to get a reputation for quality that people continually return to, rather than be the guy who most efficiently low-balls everyone. Many of these rates are not sustainable.

also QFT