Jobs in the music industry?

clarbaden

Jan 26, 2009
is there any point wasting 20 grand on a degree in music production? seems like everyone who works in the industry for a living is self taught and is freelance, where do even apply to work for a production company?

i just wanted to know if you personally make a living off producing? or is it a hobby?

Seriously... don't spend that amount of money on those schools. You'll regret it later, a couple of friends went to Alchemea and deeply regret as it was proper shit, didn't really learn anything new only to get a sub-par diploma that doesn't really give you anything...

Unless you have money for it and feel you'll learn a lot, then more power to you, but let me tell you, I know quite a few people that went to those schools, they're all twats, have no clue of wtf audio production actually is and use ableton live to mix them beatz :)

Don't bother going, I'm going to uni doing studio production and technology (in my 2nd year) , but the only reason im doing it is A) its only like £700 a year for 3 years because im learning in a welsh university and B) I figured, should I ever get one of those TIIIIINY chances of luck coming my way only to be blasted with a 'Whats your qualification' then i'll be kind've safe.

This doesn't really apply to engineering I'd say more for radio and stuff for the BBC where people are probably more clinical about it and would prefer a diploma rather than a portfolio.
So in short don't do it, study something slightly more secure (whatever that is)

I have been wondering the same thing. Thinking about going to school for audio engineering but I'm afraid I could save the $ and learn on my own.

is there any point wasting 20 grand on a degree in music production? seems like everyone who works in the industry for a living is self taught and is freelance, where do even apply to work for a production company?

i just wanted to know if you personally make a living off producing? or is it a hobby?

my experience:

i have three degrees. i received my bs in acoustical engineering... (minor in audio post production). from expression college in emeryville, ca

i also have a master of science, electrical engineering (msee) from goldsmith's university, london. (minor in behavioral psychology).

right now, i am finishing my phd in behavioral psychology... while taking open course-ware (online) computer science (programming) with MIT.

i am currently working as an instructor in a private medical school, teaching behavioral sciences.

i am also an engineer... and i work a lot at encore studios (paramount).

the dichotomy:

i have over $150,000 in tuition

...but i also have a fist full of credibility.

it's a lot of hard work but you can achieve great experience and rational discipline while going to school.

the only way to prove to another individual that you are disciplined is by showing them your advanced level of experience. (this matters most to the folks at the hiring end of the stick).

however some people may not agree that the institution of academia is fair or reasonable.

i'm not saying you should do it ...however, it is working for me and millions of others.

there are a lot of great schools out there right now... and if you qualify, you may be able to get a government grant... (i have had a couple).

also,

most studios prefer their interns to be attending school... but i don't think it is required.

i was an intern at EMI for 6 months and they had about 1,100 people lined up for the job (all with college degrees).

if you are looking to start in a studio... you should ask to "sit-in" on productions.

show your interest! engineers love to talk shop. go to NAMM... Join AES/Grammy University etc.

start networking NOW. that way, by the time you DO decide to attend some sort of program, you will have plenty of resources.

good luck!

I have been wondering the same thing. Thinking about going to school for audio engineering but I'm afraid I could save the $ and learn on my own.

fill out a FAFSA form to see if you qualify for a grant.

best case scenario: you receive half ...and you finance the rest through sallie mae.

worst case scenario: you don't qualify and you are forced to pay the loan back 6 months after you graduate.

...An AE degree might not mean shit when you're looking for work.

There's no might about this statement. I did audio engineering in school...but it was just community college (and was one of the few schools in the whole state teaching it at the time). I DID learn a lot...but even my instructor told me the diploma was nothing more than a piece of paper...and wouldn't mean a damn thing to studios. It's what you know...WHO you know...and how lucky you are.

If you have basic to mid-level knowledge of what your doing... i'd recommend spending a few months on here because the information i see going between the professionals on here is of amazing value and shit that i wouldn't have learned in college...

the stuff i did learn was more along the lines of theory and such like... plus you get a semi-decent to decent studio to use for free...

There's no might about this statement. I did audio engineering in school...but it was just community college (and was one of the few schools in the whole state teaching it at the time). I DID learn a lot...but even my instructor told me the diploma was nothing more than a piece of paper...and wouldn't mean a damn thing to studios. It's what you know...WHO you know...and how lucky you are.

I absolutely agree with the latter statement, but there's the odd case when you get a job in a big corporation (mostly thinking about TV stations and such here) when the degree can help a bit. I've seen it happen, but honestly, it's such a rare occasion I wouldn't let it affect my decision.

I'm studying audio production at the moment because it's free. If it'd cost $20.000, I'd rather use that money to rent a space and get some gear to get started.

this is important if you are looking to own a studio.

like i said, if you want to work at a reputable studio to gain a network, free studio space... etc. you must prove to them your interest.

whether it be scholastic or enthusiast.

also, every engineer i currently work with at paramount... obtained some sort of engineering degree.

i'm not saying that the degree made them excellent engineers.

what i am saying is; the degree gave them the opportunity to focus their disciplines on more relevant media certifications.

for instance... i became certified in logic/soundscape/ableton live and pro tools expert.

the papers don't mean anything... however if you can demonstrate to a chief engineer that you are that dedicated to your craft... it becomes much more painless for the proprietor of that studio to make the decision to hire you.

plus+ engineering school is really fun, imo.

i made a living for the last 5 years being an engineer without a production degree.
i have a music degree. but thats another matter.

that's cool, man!

you did go to college though...

i think that is what i am emphasizing the most.

college is important

i am a lot more successful in the medical field than i am as an audio engineer.
which is why i fell back on psychology.

but i love audio engineering. :rolleyes:

IMHO, the smart thing to do is to NOT get a degree in audio production, learn it yourself, then have something to fall back on if you fail at being an AE

I never went to school for anything audio but I have a degree in Visual Communications (graphic design, photo, web, etc) and a Masters in Business Administration. Between my 3 main careers (photo, audio, design) I make a healthy amount of $

I've been to recent SAE open day,I wouldn't want their diploma even if it was free.
Head lecturer of audio course look down on you and talk total bullshit...

They even admit that diploma won't help getting a job in the industry.they recommend going for post instead of music.

Who you know is probably more valuable than what you know in this instance. Knowing a couple of AEs on a first name basis is more likely to get you a job than any education will.

+200

i was always told that apart from the obv "how do record", its not WHAT you know but WHO

whether this be for AE/Gigging/Life