mental disorders in the music industry

antiheroinc

Feb 23, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
i've been given alot of news about myself today after nearly two years of constant doctors appointments.
I just wanted to know if you guys knew if you or people you know of have been able to succeed in the music industry. They want me to see another psychologist whos apparently gonna help me find work in an industry I can roll with, which may not be music.
I'm gonna keep fighting to do what I want to do, Im just interested in some other peoples opinions as I haven't been able to tell the people in my life about it yet properly.

sorry, but I fail to see the connection between mental disorders, the music industry and your post...
but yeah, there are tons of mentally ill people in the music industry....we call them drummers

sorry, but I fail to see the connection between mental disorders, the music industry and your post...
but yeah, there are tons of mentally ill people in the music industry....we call them drummers

i believe he's asking if we know anyone with mental disorders than have had success in the music industry. I do not know anyone personally, but the response to your case would have to be that it depends on whether or not you're talented in any part of the music industry, and if so, does your disability hinder you from doing the job that you're good at?

For example, If you're an amazing producer/engineer, but have chronic anger issues and patience problems, i could see how that would hinder your job a bit. You could work around that problem by just becoming an mixing engineer so you dont have to work with bands.

But since you were pretty broad with just saying "mental disability" and "music industry" i have no idea what to tell you besides that.

i believe he's asking if we know anyone with mental disorders than have had success in the music industry. I do not know anyone personally, but the response to your case would have to be that it depends on whether or not you're talented in any part of the music industry, and if so, does your disability hinder you from doing the job that you're good at?

For example, If you're an amazing producer/engineer, but have chronic anger issues and patience problems, i could see how that would hinder your job a bit. You could work around that problem by just becoming an mixing engineer so you dont have to work with bands.

But since you were pretty broad with just saying "mental disability" and "music industry" i have no idea what to tell you besides that.

I was intentionally being vague then, mental disorders are all very individual to the subject but people do share certain attributes. I suffer from severe bipolar depression. It doesnt affect my musical work at all, in fact music helps me get through the times my medication doesnt appear to work. Whether it be writing, recording or mixing, it helps me settle down. I was just more wondering about if people who have been diagnosed with something have had problems.

wall of sound baby!

rockstar-phil-spectre.jpg

I was intentionally being vague then, mental disorders are all very individual to the subject but people do share certain attributes. I suffer from severe bipolar depression. It doesnt affect my musical work at all, in fact music helps me get through the times my medication doesnt appear to work. Whether it be writing, recording or mixing, it helps me settle down. I was just more wondering about if people who have been diagnosed with something have had problems.

Firstly, "bipolar depression" doesn't exist and doesn't make sense. I think you're mixing up 'bipolar disorder' and 'manic depression', which was the older, less politically correct term for the same thing

Secondly, anything that affects the way you function emotionally will affect your creative output. Whether it's for the better or not depends on how you choose to channel it.

Steve

I am not exactly a success in the music industry, but having anxiety disorder (which was quite severe in the past) has not stopped me practicing my instruments and being highly motivated to learn about AE.
Depression is the usually the one that fucks with people the most, because it saps motivation a lot

They say genius is often tinged by madness.

Truth is 99.99% of us are not going to make it anyway. And I'd be surprised if 1% of this message board can function 100% from music (car, mortgage, kids, supporting Spurs etc all paid via music/production)

Vincent van Gogh had been mentally ill and his illness reflected on his painting technique.His works are now priceless.Don't give too much attention to your mental disorder,live your life like you've lived before.Be master of your mind, don't let your mental disorder disconnect you from everything you like to have and to be in your life!Cheers! :)

Firstly, "bipolar depression" doesn't exist and doesn't make sense. I think you're mixing up 'bipolar disorder' and 'manic depression', which was the older, less politically correct term for the same thing

Secondly, anything that affects the way you function emotionally will affect your creative output. Whether it's for the better or not depends on how you choose to channel it.

Steve

Bipolar Depression is a modern term for Manic Depressive. At least this is what my psychologists and psychiatrists have told me.

I am trying to find a way to start playing music again after not playing for mostly 2 years (I did play a few gigs every so often, but not enough) and I am finding it really hard to think straight. I was diagnosed with severe anxiety going through school (got a lot of perks from it, could skip classes, was allowed to basically do as I please) and I've worked through most of it. But I still get social anxiety bad enough that most times I can't go out with my friends to places where people will be. But i've found im not anxious playing music to crowds, just being in one sucks.

These days when I hit "manic mode" I do stupid, stupid things (eg, recently I found myself driving ridiculous speeds whilst hanging out the window laughing one night, I burst a blood vessel in my eye from a fit I had the night prior where I busted my hand on a brick wall). And when I hit my lows I can't do anything. I found out why these things happen, apparently its called Adhedonia, dopamine makes me hyper and slow dependent on my mood (although this does help considering I work for a funeral company doing alot of things that would drag people down).

I hate the fact that our DNA essentially maps a path for our lives.
I didn't mean for that to be a rant, so if you read it, thanks.
<end rant>

Well if you are good on stage, then what are you waiting for? Seems therapeutic if anything?