Joe Barresi Tracking Rock: A Review

can I borrow it next week?

Absolutely.

Secondly, could you point out where in the Protools session you believe Joe made a mistake?
I'm working on the Mix video now and am pretty familiar with this session. If you could give a HH:MM:SS or M:B:T
where you think a mistake was made, I would be interested in diving in to see.
Joe is such a stickler for detail, it would be surprising to me.

Not all of the tracks in the Protools session were printed to the final mix. So perhaps you're hearing things
that never made it through Joe's SSL desk. As Joe explains, he uses Protools much like a tape-machine and
there's a level of automation/bussing/muting that you may not be privy to because the SSL console is automating based on LTC.

In any case, we do appreciate your comments. One thing that you didn't mention is that Joe takes questions and comments from everyone who buys
the video ... so if that doesn't make it worth the money for you (to have access to JoeB for Q/A) .. I don't know what to say :)

jeff

I'll go through it when I get a chance and PM you with info. I knew it was only a matter of time before you responded and as I said from the very beginning this is simply my opinion and nothing more. As I said, it's not a dig at Joe I was more just surprised then anything.

As far as the Q&A how and where do we do this?

Did you find the time where you believe a bad edit took place? haven't seen a PM.
thanks
jeff

I'm sorry .. I thought i responded ... I sent your list to Joe too
for his review .. he's gonna check.

jeff

I think we have to start another thread ragging on the pricing/content of the DVD before he'll check the forum again. :lol:

Actually .. i try my best to make sure we listen and address any concerns
or questions that you may have. It's not a "throw it over the wall"
kind of product.

jeff

Not at all what I was getting at, but cool story!

cool jeff .. as long as you get that we want you to experience the
way Joe Barresi does what he does. Joe's not a micro-edit
Protools kind of guy .. because .. when it's in the track, those
kinds of micro-edits don't much matter. Joe became famous on analog
tape .. where such micro-edits were impossible.

Joe uses Protools very much like a tape-machine .. and maybe
that's a lesson we should take away :) The micro-edits are a waste
of time if you can't hear them in the mix ..

In a different genre, such micro edits may matter.

jeff

One tid-bit of information that Joe let me know is that he has his HD rig set for auto-fades of 1ms or so. That may explain some
of the comping artifacts that you're hearing.

cool jeff .. as long as you get that we want you to experience the
way Joe Barresi does what he does. Joe's not a micro-edit
Protools kind of guy .. because .. when it's in the track, those
kinds of micro-edits don't much matter. Joe became famous on analog
tape .. where such micro-edits were impossible.

Joe uses Protools very much like a tape-machine .. and maybe
that's a lesson we should take away :) The micro-edits are a waste
of time if you can't hear them in the mix ..

In a different genre, such micro edits may matter.

jeff

Yeah originally it wasn't whether the edits were a problem, it was just that they existed period, but I totally agree with your point.

One tid-bit of information that Joe let me know is that he has his HD rig set for auto-fades of 1ms or so. That may explain some
of the comping artifacts that you're hearing.

That's the problem right there. Auto-fade in PT is a god damn nightmare, and at the very least I'd do 3ms personally. It constantly misses fades, which explain some of those pops on the lead vocal. I never auto fade anything though with the exception of fill/fade in BD, and that is always 5ms.

I don't really see what the problem is with auto-fade in PT, I think it's very good, the only thing is that it does not physically apply on the files, so if you consolidate a file that has been comped with auto-fade without creating manual fades (it's very fast and easy but you know that better than I do since you're much more used to PT than I am) you might end up with clicks. I guess this is what happened on the DVD. When I mix I don't necessarily think about "what can happen if I consolidate a track since, well, I don't consolidate them... :)