Nub Gtr Question About Doub/Quad tracking

Contra Studio

Jul 13, 2011
Hell Paso
he guys i need to understand this a bit better about doub/quad tracking. I know that say we have two gtr players bob and joe. Joe records hard left, and bob hard right, is that double tracking??? OR is it joe records his hard left track twice and Bob records his right twice??? I know its not duplicating each of their parts to make it a double... And with quad is it bob records hard left 4 times, and Joe hard right 4 times????? Or can I have them both record Di a perfect part for left and right. Then Reamp bobs part with mesa 4 times for a quad or twice for duble and the same with joe with 5150. I dont mean to be a mega nub...

Contra Studio said:
he guys i need to understand this a bit better about doub/quad tracking. I know that say we have two gtr players bob and joe. Joe records hard left, and bob hard right, is that double tracking??? OR is it joe records his hard left track twice and Bob records his right twice??? I know its not duplicating each of their parts to make it a double... And with quad is it bob records hard left 4 times, and Joe hard right 4 times????? Or can I have them both record Di a perfect part for left and right. Then Reamp bobs part with mesa 4 times for a quad or twice for duble and the same with joe with 5150. I dont mean to be a mega nub...

If Bob records one rhythm track of guitar and pans it hard left, and Joe records one track of guitar and pans it hard right that is double tracking. Quad tracking is where both Bob and Joe record two rhythm tracks each. If you record one perfect take with a DI box and then reamp through a 5150 twice then it won't have the same effect as recording that perfect take twice, as the effects of quad tracking are made with the slight imperfections between each take.

Unless it's alot of harmonies and guitar parts that are very different between the two of them, it's normally better to let the tighter player just do all of it. Bill Steer recorded Heartwork in it's entirety, Amott just did solos.

Not a hard/fast rule but just an fyi. And i'd hate to be the guy telling the guitarist that didnt get picked. :D If theyr both tight and play tightly with each other, fuck it just do one guy on either side twice. I would advise against layering bob over joe due to highly potential (read: unavoidable) inconsistencies within their two playing perfomances, better to pan each guy hard left/right.