Joe Satriani

Alive in Ultra world was great. I could've sworn I remembered you saying you liked the "Real Illusions..." album, Ken?

I probably said something to the effect that it was better than my expectations... which were quite low haha.

Yeah, I'll give him Alive in an Ultra World. Some of the "ethnic" stuff was kitsch and cliche, but on the whole it's the best thing he's done in years. Going back, you just can't hold any of his or Satch's recent albums up to the likes of Flying in A Blue Dream, Surfing With The Alien, or Firegarden. There's just no comparison, and that much IS a fair statement.

I will toss on the early Vai albums when I am in the mood for some Zappa-inspired song craft. Satch always played it a bit too straight for me (bluesy), but there is no doubting that they are both masters of their craft. That being said, I would prefer to listen to Paul Gilbert or Adrian Vandenberg when I want to hear some noodling.

I will toss on the early Vai albums when I am in the mood for some Zappa-inspired song craft. Satch always played it a bit too straight for me (bluesy), but there is no doubting that they are both masters of their craft. That being said, I would prefer to listen to Paul Gilbert or Adrian Vandenberg when I want to hear some noodling.

Adrian Vandenberg has solo stuff?? Hm. I've only heard a thing or two by Gilbert, but he sure can play.

Adrian Vandenberg has solo stuff?? Hm. I've only heard a thing or two by Gilbert, but he sure can play.

Yup. He was in a band called Vandenberg before he hooked up with Whitesnake. If you like good hard rock music, I would check it out. Adrian Vandenberg is one of my favorite soloists. He is flashy when he wants to be, but he is always extremely melodic.

Paul Gilbert is a beast of a guitar player, but he also has a sense of humor. This makes him more interesting to listen to than a majority of shredders.

Yup. He was in a band called Vandenberg before he hooked up with Whitesnake. If you like good hard rock music, I would check it out. Adrian Vandenberg is one of my favorite soloists. He is flashy when he wants to be, but he is always extremely melodic.

Paul Gilbert is a beast of a guitar player, but he also has a sense of humor. This makes him more interesting to listen to than a majority of shredders.

I always thought Vai's sense of humor was kinda dry. It seems he tries to be Frank Zappa too much sometimes but lacks his sense of humor. Not surprising, since Zappa had plenty of it!:lol: :)

It's unfair to compare Vai to Frank directly, but I have to assume that anyone hanging with Frank has humor to spare. Steve, Mike, Adrian, Warren, Ike, etc - All of these guys have a good dose of leftfield in their playing.