Joey's POD Farm Chain

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
Hoping Joey will chime in on this. I've read somewhere Joey likes to use a countryman di into POD Farm. I see on his gear list he has a Great River 1NV. I know everything has it's place but can you elaborate a little on why you would use a DI box instead of the beautiful sounding DI on the front of the 1NV? Im sure it's got to do with the "cleanliness" of the DI. But i can make the 1NV pretty clean. I saw an episode of Pensado's Place where a guest said he uses the Great River 1NV into Eleven Plugin (completely different genres). I love your guitar tones. Just curious more than anything. Thanks Joey!

im not sure he uses that great river anymore. I know he uses his API 3124+ on most of his stuff. There's many threads and posts about this. But anyway i think his chain looks like this.

Guitar--->CountryMan DI box------>API Preamp-----> Pod farm---->EQ-----> Limiter

Theres definitely a lot of stuff thats missing. That chain is kinda old. But you have to keep in mind hes a professoinal and he does this EVERYDAY. He is constantly changing the way he does things for the better. So that might be far from what he does now. But tbh that is a good chain, so if you learn how to work with that, then you should get a tone that you are happy with. Don't try to copy his chain and then think your mix is going to sound the same. It's all about his KNOWLEDGE. I hope this helped man. Welcome to the forum!

Its really as simple as Guitar -> Any DI -> Any preamp / converter -> Pod Farm on some settings you like -> EQ to taste -> Limit if you have to.

Having the exact chain won't help you to much dude :) Experiment, have some fun!

Okay I think I came off wrong. I don't want to copy/mimic anything. I was simply trying to have a discussion on di box's and why people use the ones they use. This doesnt only refer to Joeys techniques. I was just using trying to ask Joey because he has some very similar gear to what I have and know. I just wondered why use an external di box when you have an amazing di like the Great River? This is also not questioning anyones techniques, there is a million ways to skin a cat. I was simply hoping for an answer like "too much transformer sound on great river for my liking". or anything like that. Thanks \m/.

I really like my Great River but I am interested in perhaps buying a high end DI box, just wondering if this would be a waste for my needs.

Its really as simple as Guitar -> Any DI -> Any preamp / converter -> Pod Farm on some settings you like -> EQ to taste -> Limit if you have to.

Having the exact chain won't help you to much dude :) Experiment, have some fun!

well maybe not any. i've noticed a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEE difference in my podfarm tone with different di's/preamps. at least in the way it feels as i'm playing it back. My solo 610 feels like a tube amp when i'm playing it, kinda nautral response/responding to my touch. where my radial passive feels extremely dry. just keep it in mind that different di's and preamps do sound different!

In hindsight I probably shouldn't have said "any." Saying "a quality preamp / converter," would probably be more correct.

Would a country man di or alike give me a better tone for using podfarm or reamping. Or will going directly into my 1NV do the trick. I experiencing a little bit of noise, so im wondering if a DI with a ground lift would do anything for me.

Im using the countryman 85 with pod farm and my di signal has no noise, very crisp and clean great di box

I think everyone would agree that the DI box is NOT a cure all for a guitar tone that is lacking. It's kind of like saying that buying the most expensive running shoes is going to make you faster. It may help a tiny little bit, but unless you have exhausted all the other stuff that's more important...then I'd wait to purchase this. Just because it's something you can afford doesnt mean you need it right now. I'd save my money for really nice conversion....or monitors... or room treatment....or books and DVD's to help with your learning. etc.

But hey.... I did the same thing when I first got into recording. I was like: "What's so-and-so using to record? If I get that then my sound will FINALLY be like his" ----WRONG. hahaha

I think everyone would agree that the DI box is NOT a cure all for a guitar tone that is lacking. It's kind of like saying that buying the most expensive running shoes is going to make you faster. It may help a tiny little bit, but unless you have exhausted all the other stuff that's more important...then I'd wait to purchase this. Just because it's something you can afford doesnt mean you need it right now. I'd save my money for really nice conversion....or monitors... or room treatment....or books and DVD's to help with your learning. etc.

But hey.... I did the same thing when I first got into recording. I was like: "What's so-and-so using to record? If I get that then my sound will FINALLY be like his" ----WRONG. hahaha

+1

I'm having trouble getting the sound I want from my guitar. I don't know if it is my chain in cubase or my recording chain. I run a shecter c1 elite directly into my pod ux2. I have noticed that my signal looks very weak compared to everything else. Not sure if that's normal. Would it be a bad idea to run my guitar into a tube preamp then into the interface?

Hoping Joey will chime in on this. I've read somewhere Joey likes to use a countryman di into POD Farm. I see on his gear list he has a Great River 1NV. I know everything has it's place but can you elaborate a little on why you would use a DI box instead of the beautiful sounding DI on the front of the 1NV? Im sure it's got to do with the "cleanliness" of the DI. But i can make the 1NV pretty clean. I saw an episode of Pensado's Place where a guest said he uses the Great River 1NV into Eleven Plugin (completely different genres). I love your guitar tones. Just curious more than anything. Thanks Joey!

i recorded with him.
guitar > DI > Fireface 800 > Pod
simple. his guitar tone doesn't depend on the hardware, its all about good takes, great editing, and good post processing. you probably wouldn't even like his "tone" while tracking haha.

I have noticed that my signal looks very weak compared to everything else. Not sure if that's normal. Would it be a bad idea to run my guitar into a tube preamp then into the interface?

I've had this problem before, it is was (in my case) the lack of preamp. I bought a preamp and it sounded a lot better. Also with a LOT hotter signal. Be very cautious on how you use a tube preamp though, if you are just twisting knobs because you just feel like it, then it can make the guitar sound like dirty socks.

been there, done that.