John Bush on Mars Attacks Podcast

Jonnie, do you think of Anthrax went on tour with John and played only his era of songs (and it was publicly stated that was going to be the case prior to fans buying tickes) that those shows would have the same amount of attendance than if the show was promoted as having Joey on Vocals performing only songs from his era of Anthrax?

They always played the old stuff with John. On the contrary, "Only" had easily the best crowd response on this year Sonisphere, while it seemed that when they played Medusa, the people did not even react to it. Maybe if AC/DC publicly stated they were not gonna play Highway To Hell and the rest of the Bon Scott's era, it would hurt their concert sales as well. The only band doing that is Marillion, as far as I know.

And as you have mentioned yourself, most of the ppl went to see Slayer and Megadeth, who always have been much bigger than Anthrax, even in their 8Os heyday.

I love how everything here gets turned into "John Bush vs Joey Belladonna." Even when people have argued about it so many times they have nothing original to add, they still repeat the old arguments.

I like Bush. I also like Joey. Either way, I'll go see them perform, and I'll buy the album.

Anthrax always made great music with John, its just a shame more people didn't give those records a chance.
have i missed some of their records???

the records Anthrax were making with John weren't selling enough and the band ended up in financial debt after WCFYA
this was in a time before too many internet downloads hurt the music industry and what do you think why they weren't selling? oh yes, i know, bad record companies, bad management, bad business decisions, musical trends, bad taste of the american record-buying people, the supremacy of Hip Hop and Country in America, the unpopularity of metal, bla bla bla... it didn't have to do anything with the quality of their music or rather the lack of quality.

They always played the old stuff with John. On the contrary, "Only" had easily the best crowd response on this year Sonisphere, while it seemed that when they played Medusa, the people did not even react to it. Maybe if AC/DC publicly stated they were not gonna play Highway To Hell and the rest of the Bon Scott's era, it would hurt their concert sales as well. The only band doing that is Marillion, as far as I know.

And as you have mentioned yourself, most of the ppl went to see Slayer and Megadeth, who always have been much bigger than Anthrax, even in their 8Os heyday.

If Only they would never play that song again. But that won't happen. That is their "Enter Sandman" of sorts. The gay song that changed the band forever.

ACDC is much different in comparison. They may have changed singers but never really changed their core sound. They didn't go changing their sound to sound more like what was 'cool' at the time. They have always been the same band with the same core sound no matter who was on vocals.

Anthrax on the other hand is like 2 separate bands. Almost no similarity in Among The Living to Vol 8. They are like 2 different bands completely.

But ACDC's Back In Black is similar to their previous records, they just kept doing their thing once Back in Black came out, they didn't try to reinvent the wheel.

If Only they would never play that song again. But that won't happen. That is their "Enter Sandman" of sorts. The gay song that changed the band forever.

ACDC is much different in comparison. They may have changed singers but never really changed their core sound. They didn't go changing their sound to sound more like what was 'cool' at the time. They have always been the same band with the same core sound no matter who was on vocals.

Anthrax on the other hand is like 2 separate bands. Almost no similarity in Among The Living to Vol 8. They are like 2 different bands completely.

But ACDC's Back In Black is similar to their previous records, they just kept doing their thing once Back in Black came out, they didn't try to reinvent the wheel.

Or if Metallica made it clear they won't be playing anything from the Cliff Burton era...

When it comes to Anthrax, people do want to hear Caught In A Mosh, Got The Time and Antisocial...regardless of who's singing these songs.

Or if Metallica made it clear they won't be playing anything from the Cliff Burton era...

When it comes to Anthrax, people do want to hear Caught In A Mosh, Got The Time and Antisocial...regardless of who's singing these songs.

Some people don't appreciate diversity in a bands catalog. The Beatles are a great example of a band who changed their sound throughout there history to reflect the atmospheric changes in music.