John Bush on Mars Attacks Podcast

vmr907

Jun 19, 2005
Estado de Euforia
Hey Guys,

I haven't been on here in a while. Anyway I just posted an interview I conducted with John Bush. He talks about his time in Anthrax, why he didn't want to do a new album or re-record Worship Music among other things. If you're interested you can listen to or download the interview from here:

http://marsattacksradio.com/2010/10/audio/mars-attacks-podcast-episode-21-john-bush/

Would love to interview other members of Anthrax (believe me I've sent many a request). That said, I was lucky that John was promoting Armored Saint's new album La Raza.

Hope you enjoy, and go back and check out other interviews that I've conducted.

Great Interview. Clearly if the reunion tour never happened Bush would still be working with the band. I have a feeling Bush will yet again perform with Anthrax...perhaps not on a permanent basis, maybe for some live collaboration.

Bush said his voice can't handle touring with a real metal band, proving the metal gods are thinning the herd. Joey sounds better than ever and lights up the stage whereas John sounds as though he smoked a carton of cigarettes just before his interview.

Clearly he was referring to the change in his voice over the years and performing the more challenging vocal sequences of his youth. If anything he stated that he's a much better singer now than he's ever been.

Great Interview. Clearly if the reunion tour never happened Bush would still be working with the band. I have a feeling Bush will yet again perform with Anthrax...perhaps not on a permanent basis, maybe for some live collaboration.

Well thank god for the Reunion tour. If Bush was still in this band they would most likely be out of jobs.

There is really no pull with John in the band. Again just to clarify... it has nothing to do with his vocals, just the era he was in the band. His era all but killed Anthrax.

You could put out a major press release that John Bush was back in Anthrax and honestly not many people other than the few die hard John Bush era fanatics on this forum would give a shit.

He may come back to sing again one day... but again that would do absolutely nothing beneficial to the career of the band Anthrax and would do absolutely nothing positive for the band other than ensure the clubs would fill up with 300 fans, most of them from this form.

John is a good guy, good singer, just not with Anthrax

@danaholica - Thanks!

@trickrtreat - he never mentions during the interview that his voice can't take it, he alludes to the fact that he mentally couldn't take being away from his family, and that with his new career it makes no sense for him to go out on tour months or years at a time.

@ironmaidenfan09 - Now let me ask you guys this do you honestly think that anyone outside of die hard fans care that Joey is back in the band? Cause for all you purists that only accept Joey in the band, what Rob gets a pass? Anthrax almost died in the 90s not because of John Bush, but because of stupid business deals that the band made. I don't think John had any say in what labels they were signed to (Tommy Boy seriously?). There are also too many ifs involved here. What if Joey never left after the reunion, what if John came back after, Anthrax as a whole was a mess, I do believe that John did the right, and most sane thing by taking things little by little. And not for nothing festival dates is where all the money is nowadays, not during 200 dates a year unless you're on a big package with Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer ;)

He was a fantastic singer with Anthrax. His vocals surely didn't suck.
And if John was the singer of Anthrax right now, the band would still have done the Big 4 shows - John had even agreed to do them, and they were signed up before Joey came back (and it's not like Joey coming back influenced Metallica's decision to include them - James Hetfield listed John Bush as one of his all-time favorite singers - a list in which Joey was nowhere to be found on), which is the most beneficial thing they had going...they'd most likely still have been invited by Mustaine to be on the Jager tour...and the new music they've played live with Joey, Fight 'Em, was already written, and would still be cool as hell with John. It wouldn't change much AT ALL. It's not like Joey coming back has changed any direction the band was headed in musically (that's evident right now)...musically it's the same fucking song.

Success-wise, they've levelled off and it's not going to get much bigger or smaller regardless of what's going on.

And if John was the singer of Anthrax right now, the band would still have done the Big 4 shows - John had even agreed to do them, and they were signed up before Joey came back (and it's not like Joey coming back influenced Metallica's decision to include them - James Hetfield listed John Bush as one of his all-time favorite singers - a list in which Joey was nowhere to be found on), which is the most beneficial thing they had going...they'd most likely still have been invited by Mustaine to be on the Jager tour...and the new music they've played live with Joey, Fight 'Em, was already written, and would still be cool as hell with John. It wouldn't change much AT ALL. It's not like Joey coming back has changed any direction the band was headed in musically (that's evident right now)...musically it's the same fucking song.

Success-wise, they've levelled off and it's not going to get much bigger or smaller regardless of what's going on.

Dude, even though you speak the truth, it's probably lost on 90% of the trolls on here.

and the new music they've played live with Joey, Fight 'Em, was already written, and would still be cool as hell with John. It wouldn't change much AT ALL. It's not like Joey coming back has changed any direction the band was headed in musically (that's evident right now)...musically it's the same fucking song.
Yes, musically it's very similar, but what a difference a high-caliber vocalist makes. The vox went from bland to memorable. And Dan has a better range than Bush, even the younger pre-Anthrax Bush.

I totally agree. I only wish that anthrax recorded a complete thrash album with Bush not just a handful of songs. His voice works well over that style.

Bush said his voice can't handle touring with a real metal band, proving the metal gods are thinning the herd. Joey sounds better than ever and lights up the stage whereas John sounds as though he smoked a carton of cigarettes just before his interview.

John is a great vocalist, some of my favorite songs are AS (Reign of Fire being one) but to me he just didnt either fit with Anthrax or Scott/Charlie changed the style so much it was no longer Anthrax to me

I don't think many people would say his isn't a good singer. Who ever said he Sucked? Did I? I'd like to see where I said that. But for what ever reason when he joined Anthrax they changed their sound and John Bush was part of that new sound that wasn't all that accepted. He is better fit with Armored Saint. I will say that Stomp, Vol 8 and WCFYA sucked. Not because of John Bush but just because it mainly was generic music with very little of the signature Anthrax sound.

And if John was the singer of Anthrax right now, the band would still have done the Big 4 shows - John had even agreed to do them, and they were signed up before Joey came back (and it's not like Joey coming back influenced Metallica's decision to include them - James Hetfield listed John Bush as one of his all-time favorite singers - a list in which Joey was nowhere to be found on), which is the most beneficial thing they had going...

Yes they probably would have done the big 4 shows in Europe. But if they came out and played only material from the John Bush era the crowd would have fallen asleep and they would have bombed. James Hetfield and Metallica are a bunch of pussies. I can give to fucks who James Hetfield lists as his favorite singers. They were also interviewed a few years back asking who their current favorite band was and Kirk Hammett said Sum 41. They also toured with Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park. They also toured with a symphony and haven't made a good record in over 20 years. Those guys are seriously a disgrace to the name of METAL. But most bowlers would never understand why.[/QUOTE]

they'd most likely still have been invited by Mustaine to be on the Jager tour...and the new music they've played live with Joey, Fight 'Em, was already written, and would still be cool as hell with John. It wouldn't change much AT ALL. It's not like Joey coming back has changed any direction the band was headed in musically (that's evident right now)...musically it's the same fucking song.

Again maybe they would have been invited. I doubt it though. Even $haron didn't want them on the Ozzfest in the USA if Joey wasn't on the bill because he was a huge draw. The classic Anthrax line up is a big draw and is what most metal fans want to see. Again if Bush was with Anthrax and they played mainly material from his era of Anthrax the crowds would have fallen asleep and gotten restless. John Bush era Anthrax just wasn't what most Metal fans associated with Anthrax. SOWN was a solid album. Everything after was very spotty and mediocre. They lost their identity when he joined the band. And again, that is not because John has a bad voice or isn't a good singer, it is just not a good 'fit' for what most metal fans wanted from Anthrax.

There is no debate they had their largest success coming off of the POT album. They had momentum going into the SOWN album. I can guarantee you if Anthrax didn't change their main sound, kept Joey and going in the direction POT went they would be right up there with Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Pantera, and the rest of the successful Thrash bands. Sure they would have lost a bit of momentum, most of those Thrash bands did. But the ones who stuck to their guns and didn't give a fuck about trying to conform to the current trends made it through the Grunge era and are sill doing very well. Just ask Slayer. There is actually a decent amount of hype going to this next Anthrax album. And love him or hate him it's not a coincidence that Joey is part of it. Even if you hate him has much as DMC, and JonnieCzech you have to admin there is a buzz with him back and that the future is looking a bit brighter for ANTHRAX now that Joey is back in this band.

I guess i don't get it or never will. I was a child of the 80's and music is been one of the biggest things in my life. and although i have respect for what people call the "Metal Gods" i just didn't get it. As a vocalist myself i see your voice as a musical instrument. But even if you don't have the best skills, a unique voice can also be a very good tool. Guys being able to sing high wasn't something that overly impressed me, being able to hit the high or low notes when called for is good, but if you just sing like a girl all the time it just didnt seem METAL to me. Preferring Bush over Belladonna or Ripper over Halford, has always left me on the outside of this small circle of self proclaimed "True Fans". I can't tell you how many times i've had to hear i wasn't a true metal fan because i didn't think Iron Maiden or Metallica were the greatest bands ever. Or even when people asked who my favorite singer was, i'd say Mike Patton and they look at me like Who the fuck is that? So because i think Joey would prefer and is better suitable singing journey in front of 40yr old women makes me not metal or a true anthrax fan.

Don't drown yourself in pity man, this forum unlike others has always been a place in favour of John Bush... But you know, it's no use argueing who's best. I prefer Belladonna by miles but that doesn't mean you gotta. I mean all the arguments have been beat to death, "John Bush was on Hetfields favourite list", what the hell does that say? if Hetfield likes hime, he's good? I would rather say the opposite since I never liked Metallica that much in the first place. "Anthrax sold more records when Joey was in the band", also nothing to do with a singer, maybe with the quality of the music alltogheter but that's it. Stop this bullshit PLEASE! I am very happy Joey is back in the band since to me, even if he didn't write any music, he made Anthrax sound unique. I think the new song sonds a million times better than with Dan Nelson, not because of the music but simply because of the vocals. There is nothing we can do about the bands desicions, I hated it when Joey left again in 2006, but it just happened. Now he's back and the band seems on fire, they probably WILL release an album with Joey on vocals wether you like it or not. John Bush will not be back anytime soon, probably never again. The guys are getting older and Anthrax won't be able to kep going like this forever, nor can't they compete the younger bands for "relevancy". They should stick to their guns (if you would put that in a very negative way you could say "become a nostalgia act") and try to release an album that focusses on their old strenghts but keep it fresh. Leave the modern sounds for the modern bands. If they don't they're over with......they won't be 18 forever.

Don't drown yourself in pity man, this forum unlike others has always been a place in favour of John Bush... But you know, it's no use argueing who's best. I prefer Belladonna by miles but that doesn't mean you gotta. I mean all the arguments have been beat to death, "John Bush was on Hetfields favourite list", what the hell does that say? if Hetfield likes hime, he's good? I would rather say the opposite since I never liked Metallica that much in the first place. "Anthrax sold more records when Joey was in the band", also nothing to do with a singer, maybe with the quality of the music alltogheter but that's it. Stop this bullshit PLEASE! I am very happy Joey is back in the band since to me, even if he didn't write any music, he made Anthrax sound unique. I think the new song sonds a million times better than with Dan Nelson, not because of the music but simply because of the vocals. There is nothing we can do about the bands desicions, I hated it when Joey left again in 2006, but it just happened. Now he's back and the band seems on fire, they probably WILL release an album with Joey on vocals wether you like it or not. John Bush will not be back anytime soon, probably never again. The guys are getting older and Anthrax won't be able to kep going like this forever, nor can't they compete the younger bands for "relevancy". They should stick to their guns (if you would put that in a very negative way you could say "become a nostalgia act") and try to release an album that focusses on their old strenghts but keep it fresh. Leave the modern sounds for the modern bands. If they don't they're over with......they won't be 18 forever.

cliffhanger_winner.gif

Guys being able to sing high wasn't something that overly impressed me, being able to hit the high or low notes when called for is good, but if you just sing like a girl all the time it just didnt seem METAL to me.
the girl who sang on POT did a pretty good job and i have to admit that her voice is a bit deep for a girl, especially at the beginning of "Belly Of The Beast". perhaps she smoked some cigs & drank some whiskey before the recording?

So because i think Joey would prefer and is better suitable singing journey in front of 40yr old women makes me not metal or a true anthrax fan.
maybe singing in front of 20 sexy 40yr old women is more fun than singing with Anthrax in a shitty club in front of 100 drunk jerks?

Yes, musically it's very similar, but what a difference a high-caliber vocalist makes. The vox went from bland to memorable. And Dan has a better range than Bush, even the younger pre-Anthrax Bush.

Yes but Range doesn't matter, it's all in DELIVERY. It doesn't matter how much range you have when you sound like a complete cheeseball and veer off key occasionally. Luciano Poveratti or however it's spelled has a ton of range too - doesn't mean he'd be awesome singing an Anthrax song.

Even didn't want them on the Ozzfest in the USA if Joey wasn't on the bill because he was a huge draw. The classic Anthrax line up is a big draw and is what most metal fans want to see.

People who say this are FUCKING DELUSIONAL.

The reunion tour BOOKED THE SAME FUCKING VENUES as the We've Come For You All tour. And in some very noteable cases, they got moved to SMALLER ROOMS (Cleveland). They were the OPENING ACT for Rob Zombie, not even headlining.