John Bush on Mars Attacks Podcast

The truth is, nobody but few Joey diehards on this forum care about his coming back either. And that thing with Ozzfest is a rumor and a total bullshit, it has been clarified a few times.

ironmaidenfan09,

You're one of the few that seems to makes sense on here!:headbang:

I don't think many people would say his isn't a good singer. Who ever said he Sucked? Did I? I'd like to see where I said that. But for what ever reason when he joined Anthrax they changed their sound and John Bush was part of that new sound that wasn't all that accepted. He is better fit with Armored Saint. I will say that Stomp, Vol 8 and WCFYA sucked. Not because of John Bush but just because it mainly was generic music with very little of the signature Anthrax sound.

Yes they probably would have done the big 4 shows in Europe. But if they came out and played only material from the John Bush era the crowd would have fallen asleep and they would have bombed. James Hetfield and Metallica are a bunch of pussies. I can give to fucks who James Hetfield lists as his favorite singers. They were also interviewed a few years back asking who their current favorite band was and Kirk Hammett said Sum 41. They also toured with Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park. They also toured with a symphony and haven't made a good record in over 20 years. Those guys are seriously a disgrace to the name of METAL. But most bowlers would never understand why.

Again maybe they would have been invited. I doubt it though. Even $haron didn't want them on the Ozzfest in the USA if Joey wasn't on the bill because he was a huge draw. The classic Anthrax line up is a big draw and is what most metal fans want to see. Again if Bush was with Anthrax and they played mainly material from his era of Anthrax the crowds would have fallen asleep and gotten restless. John Bush era Anthrax just wasn't what most Metal fans associated with Anthrax. SOWN was a solid album. Everything after was very spotty and mediocre. They lost their identity when he joined the band. And again, that is not because John has a bad voice or isn't a good singer, it is just not a good 'fit' for what most metal fans wanted from Anthrax.

There is no debate they had their largest success coming off of the POT album. They had momentum going into the SOWN album. I can guarantee you if Anthrax didn't change their main sound, kept Joey and going in the direction POT went they would be right up there with Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Pantera, and the rest of the successful Thrash bands. Sure they would have lost a bit of momentum, most of those Thrash bands did. But the ones who stuck to their guns and didn't give a fuck about trying to conform to the current trends made it through the Grunge era and are sill doing very well. Just ask Slayer. There is actually a decent amount of hype going to this next Anthrax album. And love him or hate him it's not a coincidence that Joey is part of it. Even if you hate him has much as DMC, and JonnieCzech you have to admin there is a buzz with him back and that the future is looking a bit brighter for ANTHRAX now that Joey is back in this band.[/QUOTE]

The truth is, nobody but few Joey diehards on this forum care about his coming back either. And that thing with Ozzfest is a rumor and a total bullshit, it has been clarified a few times.

This is kind of the reality. Anthrax with John or Joey isn't a mega draw. The big 4 tour and jaiger shows are what could save this band, not the guy at the mic.

Testament were working day jobs up until the early 2000's.....the resurgence of thrash metal is why the demand is big right now. All the 80's thrash bands ( with the exception of Metallica and Slayer ) are getting their second wind right now. Anthrax are following in Metallica's footsteps with a step back towards their roots. I don't hate Joey Belladonna he has a great voice, I want to hear him sing on something that better suites him. The new / old material was written to be presented in a certain light , angry and aggressive. I want to hear songs that are written with Joeys singing style in mind not Dan Nelson's. As far as Bush goes...never say never especially with all the drama and unpredictability that emerges with this band. I have a feeling Scott and Charlie would love to work with bush again down the road. I suspect that Bush feels the same way...its all about timing.

...whether tiny clubs in the sticks have PA's powerful enough to amplify Bush's fragile, tour-unfriendly voice. What happened to the lion?

Don't know what's making you say that. The last time he toured he was fucking awesome. And the shows he filled in for recently, he actually sounded even better. Plus the recent Armored Saint shows.

This is kind of the reality. Anthrax with John or Joey isn't a mega draw. The big 4 tour and jaiger shows are what could save this band, not the guy at the mic.

Put it this way. You love the John Bush Era fine.

If you were to do a tour that only featured the John Bush material Anthrax (and you made it clear to fans prior to them purchasing tickets) you would have maybe 200 people at a club no matter what city/state you play in.

If you were to to do a tour that features the greatest hits of Joey's era of Anthrax you could sell out all of those clubs and even play in some larger venues.

The Bush backers needs to stop with this nonsense that the Bush era Anthrax has the same pull. That is just ridiculous!

When Anthrax plays their Joey era material they want Joey to sing them since that is how those songs are supposed to sound.

You may be correct that right now the singer doesn't matter that much for crowd sizes. That has a few factors as to why.

1. Many fans still don't even know Joey is back with the band as they stopped paying attention a long time ago

2. Anthrax during the Bush era was almost dead. They have built up absolutely ZERO momentum and almost had to call it quits. So there just it not much hype right now.

3. Some Anthrax fans still don't know how stable they are. They still are not sure if it will be Joey or some other guy on vocals.

Just wait until this tour is over and the new album push begins. I can promise you that Anthrax will start getting a lot more recognition and will start to gain some of their fan base back. They will soon hear Joeys vocals on some Thrash sounding music and Anthrax will begin to make their mark once again. These things don't happen over night.

If Bush or Don Nelson were in this band I can promise you there would be very little interest outside of the die hard fan base.

And Bush backers please stop the bullshit about wanting to believe that if you like Joey that you must hate John. I like Joey, think he sounds much better in Anthrax than John. But I still think John has a good voice and is a great vocalist. But with Anthrax I certainly like Joeys vocals as it is what I associate with Anthrax and their unique sound.

Very true indeed.
I've been sharing a lot of this new footage from recent shows with my friends (young & old) and many of them found it to be a pleasant surprise that Joey was in the band because they "...stopped paying attention a long time ago".

That's true, therefore I think most of the fans, or the ppl who go to shows, don't really care about which of these two is singing. That's why Anthrax fronted either with Joey or John would sell approximately the same number of tickets and CD copies.

Don't know what's making you say that. The last time he toured he was fucking awesome. And the shows he filled in for recently, he actually sounded even better. Plus the recent Armored Saint shows.
In several recent interviews, Bush has both intimated and confessed that he had battled vocal problems since the 90's. I feel sorry for the guy, and I don't mean to twist his tail, but no Anthrax fan in their right mind wants to hear a ROARLESS LION. I wish him the best with his post-metal career.

3. Some Anthrax fans still don't know how stable they are. They still are not sure if it will be Joey or some other guy on vocals.

HA!!!! Joey soesn't sound as sure of that as you are

If Anthrax really had zero momentum with John Bush like Maidenboy claims, then why was he Anthrax's singer the longest? John could have just as easily done the Big 4 shows for that reason as werent those shows a celebration of the career's of those bands and not just the 80's thrash era they started?

But at the same time he does have a point, the records Anthrax were making with John weren't selling enough and the band ended up in financial debt after WCFYA and that was pretty much how the reunion tour came about because it meant more money than the band had seen for a while. Anthrax always made great music with John, its just a shame more people didn't give those records a chance.

If Anthrax really had zero momentum with John Bush like Maidenboy claims, then why was he Anthrax's singer the longest? John could have just as easily done the Big 4 shows for that reason as werent those shows a celebration of the career's of those bands and not just the 80's thrash era they started?

But at the same time he does have a point, the records Anthrax were making with John weren't selling enough and the band ended up in financial debt after WCFYA and that was pretty much how the reunion tour came about because it meant more money than the band had seen for a while. Anthrax always made great music with John, its just a shame more people didn't give those records a chance.

Honestly not many metal heads want to hear any of the material from te Bush era live. Sure there may be a few tunes here and there. But over all not many. As far as him being the band being so long, well I think the fact that the band had to resort to bringing Joey back to save them financially speaks volumes. Again John is a good singer. The band just sucked when he was with them.

Anthrax always made great music with John??? Really? Stomp and Vol. 8 are great? You can listen to those albums until you are blue in the face and those albums will never be good. WCFYA isn't much better. SOWN was the only good album with John Bush.

That's true, therefore I think most of the fans, or the ppl who go to shows, don't really care about which of these two is singing. That's why Anthrax fronted either with Joey or John would sell approximately the same number of tickets and CD copies.

Come on Johnnie, you are smarter than this.

The majority of the fans going to these shows might not even know Joey is on vocals as they aren't going to actually see Anthrax. Most are there to see Slayer and some for Megadeth. Once these fans see that Anthrax has Joey back and that Anthrax is returning to their Thrash roots they will start building up momentum. Once the new album cycle begins and publicity starts pushing that Joey is back, it is a return to their thrash roots etc, Anthrax will gain a lot of momentum and will ultimately start doing larger shows. Selling records may not change all that much, but that is because no bands are really selling records these days.

Jonnie, do you think of Anthrax went on tour with John and played only his era of songs (and it was publicly stated that was going to be the case prior to fans buying tickes) that those shows would have the same amount of attendance than if the show was promoted as having Joey on Vocals performing only songs from his era of Anthrax?