Jonas' vocal effect

The vocalproduction on TGCD is rather mint, best sounding "instrument" on that album. I think on top of what Jonas wrote, there is a lot of filtering goin on, thats software though.

The vocalproduction on TGCD is rather mint, best sounding "instrument" on that album. I think on top of what Jonas wrote, there is a lot of filtering goin on, thats software though.

jonas already replied dude.

Anyhow I think jonas has more beautiful sounding tone every cd. Can't wait for what the next one has in store.

well, I noticed he replied. he didnt name filtering though, which is needed to get what you hear vocalwise on a katatonia cd, could be usefull info if anyone still gives a flying duckfuck about putting vocals to tape.

One question I'd love to ask Jonas, because I have struggled with this bit, a lot of the time you sound very soft in the mic, do you sing quite full on into the mic or are you up close and soft? in other words have you placed a great cold distance between you and the mic or not?

I managed to find out some more from the engineer in the studios where they recorded.

Basically to achieve the sound you need a few things, the AKG Solidtube (i got one of them) a decent pre amp (jonas do you know if thats a "tube" pre amp or anything?).

The key lies in the fact that you can sound quite harsh when you sing into a sensative mic particularly when you want that smooth sound in a dark mix.

So you need a de essar, plenty of free ones are out there for use in cubase or whatever you use, but they used the waves de essar. One with a side chain EQ built in and set it to around 3khz to remove the harshness, that smooths out the sound, then perhaps a bit of general de essing overall.

Lots of doubling of vocals is the key to thinkiening up the warth, that solidtube can get really boomy, so be carefull.

I wonder how much Katatonia get involved with all this process, yhou can spend hours pissing about trying to get vocals to sound sweet.

on a note of compression you need a really hard limiter/compressor but dont squash it too much, just gently across the top, thats what makes his voice sound smooth without pumping.

if you need any more advice just ask..

One thing though, SM58's whilst great live are not ideal for studio use these days, they sound good on snares and things but not on vocals.

On the technique of jonases singing I have so far worked out (from observing live and videos) that the vocals appear to be quite focused in pronouncing the words, which suggest Jonas has had some lessons or development of technique.

We used the Amek "Channel in the box" for the vocal recordings on TGCD.

But you need to think of what suits your voice, just because it suits Jonas it may not be the right choice for your voice. Be creative!