Advice for Kick Ass Home Studio Setup

tony bologna

Nov 13, 2002
loserville VA
Visit site
Does anybody know what kind of Sound Card MJR uses when recording? I know he uses Steinburg's Nuendo, with a Shure Mic running into a AMEK 9098 preamp staight to the PC, with of course the Line 6 Gear. I was thinking of getting a Pod ProXT, Shure 57 Mic and Shure Preamp and running that straight to a pro soundcard, any suggestions of what kind of card would work?

The Pod Pro XT, I think, has USB port, right?

It it does, you can use IT as soundcard AND preamp for the mic. It has a model that simulates a TUBE mic preamp, plus the Roland JC120 model should react adequatelly too.

If it doesn't have this little improvement of the 'regular' PodXT, I can't figure out WHY?

Zax666 said:
The Pod Pro XT, I think, has USB port, right?

It it does, you can use IT as soundcard AND preamp for the mic. It has a model that simulates a TUBE mic preamp, plus the Roland JC120 model should react adequatelly too.

If it doesn't have this little improvement of the 'regular' PodXT, I can't figure out WHY?

I am sure it has a USB port, as well as an XLR port, and I think you are right on how it can be used as a preamp for the mic... but what I don't understand is how it could be used to replace a sound card... I mean, the soundcard I have now in my computer is a stock piece of crap, and I could have the best rig on earth, but when it comes to getting in on my computer, it will sound like trash, right? I am confusing myselfo_O

tony bologna said:
I am sure it has a USB port, as well as an XLR port, and I think you are right on how it can be used as a preamp for the mic... but what I don't understand is how it could be used to replace a sound card... I mean, the soundcard I have now in my computer is a stock piece of crap, and I could have the best rig on earth, but when it comes to getting in on my computer, it will sound like trash, right? I am confusing myselfo_O

You know you could also get an external audio interface (I need an external one, cause I have a laptop). The one I have is called the Firestation by Presonus. It connects to your computer through a firewire port, so latency is like, 1 milisecond (can't even hear it). If you use a Pod or any line 6 amp that does cabinet modeling, don't bother micing it, just go direct, it sounds great.

Yngvai X does make sense.
With 1 ms of latency the PodXT should be your latency concern, but I hear L6 have greatly developed their technology.
I'd go with his advice.

Oh, yeah, and the USB on the PODxt's is supposed to REPLACE your sound card if you want ultra hi-quality A-D/D-A conversions.

I'd get a better card for playback, though.

Better with multipe inputs.

Thank you, thank you, Zax666 and Yngvai..... I'll try running POdXt direct with a USB cable to my soundcard. Now I just have to save up $10,000,000 to afford everything I need. Music is expensive.

If you go to Harmony Central, I think not.

L6 seem to have screwed up the Vetta technology in the PodXT, especially the high gain, which is what we (here) mostly need. Dunno if they have fixed it with the Pro.