Jorn bolts...

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
JORN QUITS MASTERPLAN:
A huge blow for fans of Masterplan's first two (sensational) albums. This from the band's record label AFM Records:
"Sometimes ways can separate from each other: due to musical differences singer Jorn Lande has left Masterplan last week. During working on the new album the band had to experience that both sides were having different ideas and wishes for the songwriting. While Jorn would have loved to push the style of the band more into the melodic direction, the rest of the band wanted to go back to the metal-roots of the debut album. So the decision was made to go separate ways in the future.
Drummer Uli Kusch about it: "We are not really happy about Jorn `s decision, but on the other side it doesn `t make sense to continue if the ideas are that different. The music would suffer from it and the music is why we are doing it. We wish Jorn a successful future and want to thank him for everything he did for us. It was a great and interesting time!"
The band is currently searching for a new singer. "There are already some possibilities that might be interesting for us, but nothing is decided yet", Uli explains. "We hope that we can already present the new singer on the gigs we are playing this year. And for sure there won `t be any changes in the musical style of Masterplan. We are currently working on the songs."

It doesn't surprise me (but it pisses me) Jorn is not very easy to work with and he seems not very eager to stay in a band for long (Ark for example).

In anycase I love his solo work and I will follow him, identically I love both Masterplan albums and I'm sure they're going to find a good vocalist and continue (my vote goes to Thomas Rettke)

NP: Barón Rojo - 'Resistiré'

DOH! I was making a post on this same subject at the same time as you, Sixx. My apologies, let's discuss in here.

Oddly enough I started my comment with "Jorn bails", the very title of your thread. That was my first thought because this isn't the first time he's had sudden "creative differences" with former bands. Never met the man, but from all accounts I've read he isn't an easy man to get along with. But I can forgive him for that because I don't have to deal with him... I just get to listen to the end result! :headbang:

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Never met the man, but from all accounts I've read he isn't an easy man to get along with.

I had a decent bs session with him when he was in Atlanta with Ark, seemed like a nice enough guy...

J-Dubya

Sad, Masterplan is a superb band, luckely I saw them live with Jorn once, at least I got that to remember!... I hope Jorn isn't going any more towards the commercial side of metal. The Allen-Lande album also was excellent, but an even more commercial sound will kill the attraction of future Jorn albums I think.

Damn, I missed the only opportunity to see them... :erk:
They were opening for Hammerfall, since I don't like (to say the least) them and didn't know who Masterplan were at the time, I didn't go...
My friends though were ecstatic about a new band opening for HF and thought they put them to shame. Later I too learned why... ;)

Shit.

edit: Isn't there supposedly a near-finished third Ark album? I don't know how the relations between Jorn and the rest of the guys are but I'd be thrilled if they got together just to finish that one.

J-Dubya 777 said:
I had a decent bs session with him when he was in Atlanta with Ark, seemed like a nice enough guy...
He may very well be a nice guy, J-Dub, but a bs session is a fun, relaxing conversation. The negative comments I've heard about him all come from other musicians he once worked with. Maybe the demon only comes out in the studio. :heh:

He may very well be a nice guy, J-Dub, but a bs session is a fun, relaxing conversation. The negative comments I've heard about him all come from other musicians he once worked with. Maybe the demon only comes out in the studio. :heh:

Absolutely. I have met Yngwie before and he was surprisingly very humble and appreciative towards his fans. We all know what an SOB the guy is though.

It is ashamed that Jorn has left Masterplan though. That sounds like a job for Chity. I have been waiting for a bigger German based band to have an open singer slot. Chity is too talented to be just doing project work. He is also one of the few vocalists I think could replace almost any melodic/power vocalist and that's saying quite a bit.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Absolutely. I have met Yngwie before and he was surprisingly very humble and appreciative towards his fans. We all know what an SOB the guy is though.

It is ashamed that Jorn has left Masterplan though. That sounds like a job for Chity. I have been waiting for a bigger German based band to have an open singer slot. Chity is too talented to be just doing project work. He is also one of the few vocalists I think could replace almost any melodic/power vocalist and that's saying quite a bit.

Bryant

Dude!! I would say Chity is an excellent choice. After he left Firewind I was kinda bummed out and I hope we will see him again in a somewhat bigger band.

Hawk said:
Dude!! I would say Chity is an excellent choice. After he left Firewind I was kinda bummed out and I hope we will see him again in a somewhat bigger band.

Well I said the same thing when Urban left Tad Morose. You should have seen that reply coming from me ha ha ha. Actually, I didn't have much hope for TM getting Chity because they aren't famous enough and are in Sweden, but I think he would have sounded awesome with TM.
I also think he would sound awesome with Masterplan. Vocalists with Jorn's abilities don't grow on trees. Chity is about the ONLY German (or at least German resident) vocalist I can think of that could step in and do justice on Jorn's songs.

Bryant

No doubt about that at all. I'm pretty good about picking up things from people, and while my "arrogant bastard" alarm didn't go off with Jorn, it sure did with Randy Coven. That guy is an absolute tool......Someone tell him it's not 1983 anymore, and not many people remember even WTF he was.....

J-Dubya

p.s. and maybe that's why he has so many "projects" versus a long term band legacy....