Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
cov4586.jpg

Label Web Site: http://www.afm-records.de/
Band Web Site: http://www.jornlande.com/
Release Date: October 26, 2004

I recall the first time I heard Jorn Lande sing. I had just downloaded ARK’s self-titled debut. By the time “Where the Winds Blow” dropped its final notes in my ears, I was mesmerized. I just had to own this disc! I spent the entire next day hunting it down. Finally, after a 45-minute ride to a music store a few towns away, I was able to lay my greedy mitts on a copy. From that day forward, I snapped up every disc that Jorn sang on, from BEYOND TWILIGHT to his solo CDs. However, since leaving ARK for the much greener, and far less interesting pastures of MASTERPLAN, I haven’t been quite as enthralled with Mr. Lande’s work. Perhaps I view his current offerings through the jaded eyes of an ARK fan boy, who yearns for this very capable vocalist not to short change his fans by recording generic Power metal and uninspired Hard Rock. Perhaps… However, it could also be that I see these works for exactly what they are; generic and uninspired.

Out to Every Nation begins with “Young Forever”, a hard rocking, bluesy track with “1985” written all over it. While it’s not a bad song, it’s just not all that intriguing. This bluesy approach continues with the title track, which sees the CD slowly wake from its slumber, stretch its arms and offer hope that this disc may reach the level of previous Jorn-fronted projects. Unfortunately, it's only on rare occasions that this CD aspires to be anything more than average.

The overall quality of this offering is helped out immeasurably by the musicians that Jorn hand-picked to back him. Signing on for this assignment are Pagan’s Mind guitar player Jõrn Viggo Lofstad and Pagan’s Mind drummer Stian L. Kristoffersen. The two restrain their immense talents to fit seamlessly within the context of Jorn’s musical vision.

Jorn’s lyrics come straight from his heart. Regardless of the project he’s involved with, his words often plead for humanity to rise to the challenges that lie before us, put aside our differences and create a better world. Though such sentiments have a tendency to come across as sappy, Jorn’s incredibly emotional delivery lends a sense of sincerity to all that he sings.

For those who have never heard Jorn sing, I would first point out that the real estate market is booming, and that you might consider putting that rock you’ve been living under up for sale. However, for those who continue to find comfort living in the moist darkness that a well chosen stone can provide, I would offer that Jorn can sound eerily similar to David Coverdale. But make no mistake; Jorn is not a Coverdale clone. His voice and style, though it draws additional influence from Ronnie James Dio and Glenn Hughes, is all his own. He sings with a power, passion and intensity that is rarely heard in any genre.

Overall, Out to Every Nation is inconsistent, and falls well short of its predecessor, Worldchanger. While there are some strong tracks, such as “Something Real”, “Behind the Clown” and “When Angel Wings Were White” (all mid-tempo or ballad), there are an equal number of tracks that just don’t make the grade. Out to Every Nation is a solid, albeit unspectacular effort. If you’re a fan of Hard Rock or Mr. Lande’s incredible vocal talents, than I would recommend this CD to you. However, if bluesy, often 80s sounding Hard Rock isn’t your thing, you may want to take a pass on this one. If you own nothing that features Jorn on vocals, I would highly recommend starting with either of the two CDs he recorded with ARK.

Rating: 6/10
Reviewer: General Zod

So I've been listening to some Ark lately -- had a CD-R of Burn the Sun laying about, and after re-reading all that stuff about Lande and Malmsteen having a bust up, had this desire to finally check out some of da Ark.

Holy Cow. :kickass:

I did not realize how great this man's voice is. There is a sense of familiarity to his pipes, but I can't put my finger on it....almost like a cross between Ronnie James Dio and David Coverdale.

What a shame that he fell out with Malmsteen. He would have been a PERFECT fit for the music - at least better than the current guy, Doogie Howser.

I'm going to absorb myself into some more of this Ark album....shame though that Zod doesn't think all that much of Masterplan. I would have wanted to check that out next. Maybe an MP3 sample first.....muwahaha. ;)

I'm no expert on the band, but it's prog. Not 'sick' prog like your faves Zero Hour, but it's melodic prog metal. Meanwhile, don't think Dream Theater either because Ark actually have something interesting to offer, and the production is as sharp as a blade.

Of course, a key component to it are the vocals -- if you're into that hard rock bluesy style emotive singing, then you're going to like Jorn Lande. Plus you'd probably like that singer in Grand Magus too, JB. :)

It was a real shame to see Ark fall apart the way they did. They were one of the more original Prog bands out there. They kind of straddled the fence between between Metal and Rock. The debut CD is a bit more eclectic, and consequently, a bit less cohesive. The second CD, "Burn the Sun" is flawless. Ark was a band with no musical weaknesses. The vocals are amazing, all of the instrumentation is amazing. These guys had th ability to keep things incredibly interesting, without ever noodling. I'm so glad I caught their only U.S. appearance att PPII.

JK, I have tons of stuff with Jorn. Let me know what you'e interested in checking out.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
Well, I didn't want you to equate Ark with blues-driven Viking doom! :loco: :lol:

He actually does have a song about vikings on one of his solo albums...seriously, Burn The Sun is an excellent record, if you're expecting off the wall prog you may be disappointed (although it has some parts that sound incredibly difficult), but if you're looking for an album where every track is different and full of passionate playing, you'll enjoy at least some of it.