JST Guilty Pleasure sound

Kaleb Formz

Aug 27, 2013
Hey guys

I just picked up JST guilty pleasure and i have to say, it sounds amazing for that modern heavy Sturgis 'chug' sound. Not saying I'm a fan but it's nice to have when those bands come in and want that type of tone. The pod treadplate tone to me feel super dated but i've used it when bands want that type of tone.

Guilty Pleasure to me is a more aggressive variant of that tone that doesn't feel like 2007, it's pretty cool.

What's bothering me is that I can't recreate that sound at all. I'm trying figure out what's going on under the hood.

I'm running a Countryman type 10 > Maxon od808 > either my engl e530 or TSEX50 with a Torpedo usually a 4x12 Mesa
Set it and forget it.
Typical processing HP LP, cutting any nastyness if any and usually take out 4k if it's the X50. I reamp into my TB12, maybe use boradband comp 1db if any, multiband and I think that's it off the top of my head.

I have no problem with that tone but I've tried to recreate this amp sim to the best I know, different IR's, amp settings, I don't come that close. I don't want to have to use a 'amp sim chain' style plugin and learn nothing. So if any of you want to impart some knowledge i'd be grateful.

From the picture in the cab section it looks like it's a condenser on the 4x12 but i'm not sure which.

Any help would be appreciated guys

I posted the link so you get an idea because most of the tones on youtube sound a little weird and crunchy